The old adage, “Sunday’s are for Football” stands true, but what about “Healthy Sunday Meals?” Healthy is the new healthy, except you don’t have to be healthy to be healthier. That might not make sense – well it does to me and that’s all that matters. The point is I’ve created a list of healthy Sunday meals to pair with your Football.
Sunday’s meals are as important as the weekday ones, but often it is hard to come up with new and tasty recipes, so even if you want to eat healthier, it is sometimes hard to find the perfect recipe.
Sunday Dinner Recipes for Healthy Cholesterol
Make a filling Sunday dinner with these delicious recipes. These recipes are high in fiber and low in saturated fat and sodium to help promote a healthy cholesterol. Recipes like Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa and Eggplant Tortilla Casserole are satisfying, tasty and can help you feel your best.
Honey-Mustard Chicken Tenders with Couscous & Carrots
Thanks to the quick-cooking power of chicken tenders, this honey-mustard chicken dinner comes together fast and easily for a family-friendly weeknight meal. The baby carrots are cooked in a simple orange juice and butter sauce which is lovely drizzled over the chicken and couscous.2 of 30
Chickpea & Potato Curry
This fast Indian-style curry comes together with ingredients you most likely have on hand, like frozen peas and canned tomatoes and chickpeas. Plus, using these spices shows how simple it is to make a curry sauce for an easy vegetarian recipe. Serve with whole-wheat naan to sop it all up.3 of 30
Zucchini-Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Tahini-Ranch Sauce
This vegan burger recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again. Savory chickpea and zucchini patties are topped with a creamy, herb-flecked tahini ranch sauce, juicy tomato slices and peppery arugula for a satisfying and healthy homemade veggie burger. Serve them on buns or stuff them in pitas. We recommend making extra sauce–it’s a great dip for veggie sticks and, thinned with a little water, it makes a wonderful salad dressing.4 of 30
Peppery Barbecue-Glazed Shrimp with Vegetables & Orzo
In this healthy BBQ shrimp recipe, shrimp are seasoned with a peppery spice blend and served with zucchini, peppers and whole-grain orzo for a delicious and easy dinner that’s ready in just 30 minutes. The shrimp and veggies are cooked in the same skillet, so cleanup is a snap too.
5 of 30
Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
Remaking this classic high-calorie, high-fat pasta sauce was a great success. By adding fresh breadcrumbs to the pesto, we were able to use much less oil. The pesto still coats the pasta nicely and its herbal flavor remains intense and vibrant. Parsley is more than just a garnish–it’s a rich source of carotenoids and vitamin C.
6 of 30
Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Tomato & Avocado Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories, and the salsa adds a fresh, clean note. To complete the Baja theme, serve with black beans, some diced mango and a bit of light sour cream.7 of 30
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
These easy vegan black bean burgers have a healthy dose of fiber thanks to the combination of black beans and quinoa. Cumin and chipotle chile powder give these vegan burgers a Southwestern spin. Using your hands to combine the mixture creates a soft, uniform texture.8 of 30
Turkish Seared Tuna with Bulgur & Chickpea Salad
This healthy tuna recipe combines many of Turkey’s most beloved foods and flavors–fresh fish, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs and chickpeas. Cooking for two? Flake the two leftover tuna steaks and mix them into the remaining bulgur salad, then serve over lettuce for lunch the next day.9 of 30
Eggplant Tortilla Casserole
This layered casserole is inspired by classic cheese enchiladas, minus the fuss of rolling and stuffing individual tortillas. You’d never guess that within this comforting Tex-Mex casserole hides a layer of thinly sliced eggplant. The thin slices become tender when roasted and add a subtle savory note.10 of 30
Chicken & Cucumber Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
We love the crunch from sliced cucumber and jicama in these savory chicken lettuce wraps. Serve with the simple peanut sauce for an easy dinner recipe that will impress kids and adults alike.
Heart-Healthy Sunday Dinners with 400 Calories
Make a delicious, heart-healthy Sunday dinner with these tasty recipes. These dinners meet the American Heart Association’s parameters for saturated fat and sodium, so you can be sure you’re eating a balanced meal that helps to keep your heart in tip-top shape. And as a bonus, each recipe has 400 calories or less per serving. Recipes like Seared Scallops with White Bean Ragu & Charred Lemon and Tofu Tacos are bold in flavor and can help you meet your nutrition goals.
1 of 31
Chickpea & Potato Curry
This fast Indian-style curry comes together with ingredients you most likely have on hand, like frozen peas and canned tomatoes and chickpeas. Plus, using these spices shows how simple it is to make a curry sauce for an easy vegetarian recipe. Serve with whole-wheat naan to sop it all up.
One-Pan Chicken & Asparagus Bake
In this chicken and asparagus recipe, we use one baking sheet to whip up dinner quickly, veggies included. Pounding the chicken thin helps it cook quickly alongside the carrots and potatoes, with asparagus rounding out the meal. This is one quick dinner recipe you’ll be returning to again and again.
3 of 31
Seared Scallops with White Bean Ragu & Charred Lemon
This recipe for seared scallops with white beans and spinach turns out a healthy dinner that looks impressive (and tastes great) in just 25 minutes. Giving lemons a quick sizzle in the skillet amps up the flavor of this piccata-inspired dish. The heat helps release even more citrus juice and sweetens it too. When shopping for scallops, look for ones labeled “dry.” Some scallops are soaked in a solution that prevents them from searing properly and can give them a soapy flavor
These quick vegan tacos, filled with a spicy tofu filling, make a perfect weeknight dinner. To keep them vegan, top them with shredded cabbage, fresh pico de gallo and guacamole. For vegetarians, add crumbled queso fresco.
Parchment Packet Baked Tuna Steaks & Vegetables with Creamy Dijon-Turmeric Sauce
How to bake fish perfectly? Wrapping the fish and vegetables in parchment packets creates steam that keeps the tuna moist while it cooks. Plus, it’s a fun presentation.
Salmon with Chopped Tomatillo Salad
We made this chopped salad with pico de gallo in mind. Tangy tomatillos add fresh crunch to the classic mixture of tomatoes, cilantro and onion to brighten up this broiled salmon recipe.
Easy Sesame Chicken with Green Beans
Sweet-salty hoisin sauce and nutty sesame team up in this easy meal that’s cooked on one baking sheet. Serve this sesame chicken with brown rice and sliced cucumbers, drizzled with sesame oil and rice vinegar.
Mediterranean Portobello Mushroom Pizzas with Arugula Salad
Roasted portobello mushrooms stand in for pizza crust in these comforting individual “pizzas.” An easy arugula side salad makes a vibrant accompaniment.
Easy Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Salsa Verde
Fresh cilantro, parsley, and lime juice make a tangy green salsa that adds lively flavor to this easy grilled shrimp recipe.
Grilled Salmon with Sweet Peppers
It may seem counterintuitive to start the fish skin-side up. But when you flip it, the fish skin captures the juices as it finishes cooking for extra-flavorful results. Serve with chimichurri sauce (see Associated Recipe)
Healthy dinner recipes
Discover BBC Good Food’s best ever healthy dinner ideas. Get inspired by our nutritious, triple-tested recipes including vegetarian, vegan and meat options.
- Spinach, sweet potato & lentil dhal A comforting vegan one-pot recipe that counts for 3 of your 5-a-day! You can’t go wrong with this iron-rich, low-fat, low-calorie supper.
- Healthy lasagne Enjoy our lighter version of the family classic – lasagne. It has bags of flavour, but comes in at under 500 calories a portion, as well as packing in four of your five-a-day
- Air fryer baked potatoesTry baking potatoes in an air fryer to achieve a crisp skin with a fluffy centre. The process is quicker and more energy-efficient than using the oven
- Roast chicken thighs with brown rice & salsa verde How about a healthy, low-calorie roast chicken dinner? Enjoy this tasty meal with benefits like vitamin C from the salsa verde which helps iron absorbtion
- Chicken & lemon skewers These chicken skewers in flatbreads taste great as well as being healthy and an easy-to-make dinner for hectic weeknights
- Balsamic beef stew with veggie mashGet all five of your five-a-day in this tasty balsamic beef stew accompanied by the ideal comfort food – a veggie mash – perfect for chilly weather
- Superhealthy salmon burgers If you’re after something a bit lighter than potato-packed fishcakes, try these simple salmon burgers with ginger, soy sauce and coriander
- Healthy chicken pasta bake Try this healthy chicken pasta bake with peppers, courgette and ricotta for a nutritious midweek dinner. It’s sure to be a hit with everyone
- Healthy roast dinner Cook a healthy, low-fat version of roast beef for two, made with lean, juicy steak and roasted veg, plus gravy on the side
- Spiced carrot & lentil soup A delicious, spicy blend packed full of iron and low in fat to boot. It’s ready in under half an hour, or can be made in a slow cooker
- Smoky cod, broccoli & orzo bake Enjoy this easy, speedy cod, broccoli and orzo traybake on busy weeknights. It’s healthy and low in fat, and since it’s a traybake, there’s minimal washing-up!
- Speedy butternut squash barley ‘risotto Swap rice for barley to make this easy squash ‘risotto’ with spinach and sage. It’s healthy and low in calories and fat – perfect for a quick supper
- Veggie yaki udon Pack in the veg with our flavour-packed Japanese-inspired yaki udon. It takes just 25 minutes to make and is healthy and low in fat and calories to boot
- Tuna, caper & chilli spaghetti Throw together tuna, capers and rocket with garlic, chilli and spaghetti to make this easy and healthy supper. It takes just 25 minutes to make
- Healthy seafood spaghetti Be transported to a beachside restaurant with a bowl of quick and easy seafood pasta that’s bursting with nutrients
- Spicy veggie pies with peanut butter mash Enjoy these full-flavoured spicy veggie pies with peanut butter mash. Loaded with protein and carbs, they’re an ideal post-exercise dinner choice
- Meatball & tomato soup Get three of your 5-a-day in one serving with this healthy, low-calorie tomato soup. The addition of meatballs and giant couscous means it’s filling, too
- Fennel-roasted cauliflower with quinoa Pile this colourful vegetable quinoa salad onto a plate, top with roasted cauliflower and drizzle over the garlic yogurt for a healthy, gluten-free dinner
- Chicken with crushed harissa chickpeas Need something speedy for dinner? Try this chicken, coated in flavourful za’atar and served with spiced chickpeas. It’s simple, but seriously delicious
- Roasted cod with zingy beetroot salad Make the most of the colour and flavour of beetroot with our easy roasted cod served on a beetroot, new potato and carrot salad with a lovely zingy dressing
- Broccoli pesto & pancetta pasta Serve this healthy bowl of pasta topped with cherry tomatoes for a quick and easy midweek meal. It’s tossed with broccoli pesto, and takes just 25 minutes to make
- Chinese chicken curry Cook an easy, healthy curry with just 15 minutes preparation. Serve this replica of your favourite takeaway dish with fluffy rice for a wholesome family meal
- Vegan enchiladas Top these plant-based enchiladas with guacamole instead of cheese or soured cream – choose ripe avocados for an extra-creamy texture