Healthy Weight Loss Recipes For Lunch
Taking your own lunch to work is great for weight loss as well as the bank account. These lunches, all hand-picked by our expert nutritionist, are nutritionally balanced with lean protein, legumes, wholegrains and vegies and are between 300 to 400 calories.
1–5. Plant-based lunches for weight lossPlant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds, are full of fiber and beneficial nutrients. They tend to be filling, and many of them are lower in calories than certain animal products and highly processed foods. Thus, plant-based diets like vegan or vegetarian diets have been associated with weight loss in some people.
1. Lentil SoupSoups are an ideal plant-based lunch option, as you can make them ahead of time and reheat them for a quick meal. This lentil soup recipe is a complete meal in one bowl. It’s loaded with ingredients that are good to eat when you’re trying to lose weight. Lentils provide filling protein and carbs while the veggies contribute additional fiber. Plus, lentils are a good source of iron, an important nutrient for blood health that some plant-based eaters may lack in their diets.
2. Garden veggie chickpea salad sandwichesChickpeas are a versatile vegetarian protein. Some research suggests that chickpeas aid weight management, likely due to the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and variety of beneficial compounds they contain. The texture of chickpeas makes them very easy to smash with a fork to create a chickpea “salad” filling for sandwiches — the perfect lunch food. This recipe for garden veggie chickpea salad sandwiches is a delicious lunch option if you’re trying to lose weight and eat a plant-based diet. If you follow a vegan diet, swap out the mayo for a vegan substitute.
3. Spicy peanut tofu Buddha bowlsTofu is a soy-based complete protein, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids that humans need to get from foods. It’s also a source of isoflavones, which are compounds that may protect against heart disease. Some people shy away from tofu if they don’t know how to cook it or don’t like the texture, but preparing tofu that’s crispy and delicious is easy to do at home. Try these tofu Buddha bowls for lunch. They’re made with crispy tofu, brown rice, veggies, and a spicy peanut dressing.
4. Veggie wrapsA healthy wrap is a great lunch choice, especially if you need something that you can make ahead of time to eat at your desk or in between meetings. Fortunately, it’s really easy to make plant-based wraps. To ensure that they’re filling, delicious, and help you lose weight, choose whole wheat wraps (or use lettuce) and add a protein source, healthy sauce or spread, and plenty of vegetables. This veggie wraps recipe uses whole wheat tortillas, hummus, carrots, cucumbers, and other veggies. The edamame and hummus provide protein, while the avocado contributes healthy fats that help you feel full.
5. Quinoa and black bean stuffed sweet potatoesSweet potatoes make a great base for plant-based lunches. They provide energizing carbs, plenty of fiber, and the pigment beta carotene, which can help you meet your needs for vitamin A to help support your immune system. Plus, stuffed sweet potatoes can be packed up to enjoy at the office or put together quickly if you work from home. Bake the sweet potatoes and prep the filling in advance, then store them in containers in the fridge. Assemble the potatoes and reheat them when you’re ready to eat. This recipe for stuffed sweet potatoes uses Southwest seasonings and offers tips for vegan topping alternatives if needed.
6–10. Low Carb Lunches For Weight Loss
6. Cauliflower rice bowlsReplacing regular rice with cauliflower rice is one way to cut back on your carb intake at lunchtime, especially if you eat burrito bowls or other dishes that typically contain rice. Using cauliflower not only lowers the carb content of the meal but also provides a ton of vitamin C. This water-soluble nutrient is important for skin health, wound healing, and many other body functions (7). Follow this recipe for cauliflower rice bowls for a low carb version of a burrito bowl.
7. Tuna egg salad stuffed peppersTuna and eggs are two affordable, high protein foods that will keep you full long after lunch. In fact, eating eggs instead of a higher carb meal may help reduce hunger and the number of calories you consume later in the day, which can help promote weight loss. While egg and tuna salads are usually served on bread, you can stuff them into bell peppers for a low carb meal instead. Check out this easy recipe for tuna egg salad stuffed bell peppers.
Healthy Lunch Recipes For Losing Weight
When you think of healthy lunch ideas for weight loss, do you picture a bland sandwich or a dull salad at your work desk? Or do you imagine something simple like a banana and a granola bar or maybe forgoing lunch altogether?
If you’re trying to lose weight, coming up with delicious lunches that fit with your goals or calorie budget can be a pain, especially since the middle of the day tends to be the busiest time for most people. It’s super tempting to skip a meal or eat something small that’s not very filling just to get through the day. If this sounds like you, the good news is that there are plenty of easy recipes you can prepare for this mid-day meal.
Here are 75 tasty and healthy ideas, along with some helpful tips, to take some of that stress off your plate. Whether you’re looking for vegetarian, vegan, or keto options, there is a dish that is full of flavor and loaded with nutrients here for you. The list even includes some popular cultural foods (yes, you can eat a nutritious meal without abandoning your favorite family recipes). In fact, there are plenty of substitutions and alternatives to make the food you love healthier. Because let’s face it, not all of us are salad lovers (there’s nothing wrong with being one, though!).