Healthy winter meals on a budget? We’ve got you covered, or rather your stomach will be full.
Winter is here because it’s the season of comfort food. During the cold weather, people always migrate towards heavy meals to keep them warm and healthy. And that’s why we have healthy winter meals on a budget — something cheap and delicious.
winter meals on a budget
Dinner should cost you a fortune and it doesn’t have to with these budget-friendly meals we’re making this winter. Feed your family on the cheap using affordable ingredients like mince, vegies, sausages and canned goods and turn them into dinner ideas you’ll want to make again and again.
French Onion Mince
A very tasty budget-stretching dinner.
Chicken, Bacon and Pea Risotto
Quick and easy, and it comes in under budget!
One-Pan Garlic Butter Chicken with Mushrooms
At under $5 a serve, this budget one-pan chicken dinner means less washing up!
This budget-friendly weeknight winner is made from just 5-ingredients.
Curried Lentil and Vegetable Soup
A quick, healthy and delicious vegetarian soup using budget-friendly ingredients like carrots, celery and lentils. I have been asked many times for the recipe.
Creamy French Chicken
Quick and easy. Serve with steamed rice or vegetables.
Beef and Potato Layered Casserole
A budget-friendly tasty casserole made with beef mince and frozen vegies.
Deep dish leftover roast beef pie
This recipe helps you stretch the budget by turning leftover beef and vegetables into a delicious deep dish family pie.
Gnocchi with Cheat’s Meatballs, Pea and Mint
We take a few simple shortcuts like using packet gnocchi and store-bought sausages to bring this budget-friendly dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
Winter warming comfort food on a budget. This is another way to sneak in vegetables for those kids who think they hate them!
Egg drop soup
This Chinese-style chicken soup is bolstered with the addition of eggs rather than noodles to make a nourishing meal that’s easy on the budget.
Cheesy Crust Casserole
It is a quick easy recipe for a cool winter’s night and can be made with most of ingredients you have on hand. As my husband has beef allergies I use pork or lamb mince, but it’s better with the beef mince!
Cheesy savoury mince
This hearty, warming cheesy savoury mince is the perfect meal on a cold day. Set it to cook in the morning, then let the slow cooker work its magic. And there’s plenty to enjoy on toast the next day.
Pork and apple rissoles
A tasty rissole with a delicate apple flavour. A big hit with the family.
Chicken and pea madras curry
This fiery chicken curry takes a few shortcuts (like using store-bought curry paste) to get dinner on the table faster.
budget winter meals
Feeding a family on a budget can seem challenging but with some smart shopping and planning you will discover plenty of filling meal options out there. This gallery, full of savoury and sweet recipes will get you started in the right direction.
1Traditional beans and greens
Traditional beans and greens served with crusty fresh bread – perfect for a hearty side or lighter main.
210-minute cheesy gnocchi and meatball bake
Dangerously short on time? This genius meatball bake means you can avoid a kitchen crisis and get dinner on the table in just 10 minutes.
3Roast capsicum and tomato soup with garlic croutons
Warm up in a no time at all with this 17-minute roast capsicum and tomato soup, served with crispy garlic bread croutons.
4Thai-style fried rice
Turn leftover rice into quick and easy fried rice by adding Thai-style frozen vegetables.
5Orange-flavoured rice pudding
A satisfying winter dessert to warm the whole family.
6Spaghetti bolognese pie
We know you love spag bol and a hearty family pie, so it seemed like a no-brainer to combine the two.
7Goulash meatball pie
Change up the way you use beef mince with this fun meatball pie.
8Easy cheesy 2-minute noodles
This super easy cheesy noodle dish is sure to be a hit with the kids!
9Lasagne and garlic bread bake
A garlic bread base filled with cheesy, bubbling lasagne. Dinnertime dreams do come true!
10Apple and vanilla sponge pudding
An everyday easy dessert of apple and vanilla sponge pudding.
11Smoky bacon carbonara
“We love this wonderfully rich sauce, which causes more arguments than any other sauce in Italy” – Matt Preston
12One-pot Mexican chicken and chipotle pasta
Ready in 45 minutes, this easy, budget-friendly pasta gets mixed with salsa to add loads of Mexican flavour with minimal effort.
Frittata doesn’t get easier than this! Four basic, budget-friendly ingredients combine to make this tasty kid-friendly meal.
14Spinach and ricotta lasagne
We’ve given classic lasagne a modern twist with a delicious spinach and ricotta filling – it will be a new family fave!
15Sweet and sour pork mince stir-fry
Tangy pineapple pieces and fresh chilli pack a punch in this easy sweet and sour pork mince stir-fry.
Healthy winter recipes
Make healthy and hearty winter warmers for colder nights. From celeriac soup and root veg stew to parsnip salad, our nutritious recipes celebrate seasonal ingredients.
- A star rating of 3.8 out of 5.22 ratingsProviding an impressive five of your 5-a-day in each portion, this filling vegan stew is low calorie and low fat, and also provides fibre, vitamin C, iron and calcium
- Chicken jalfreziA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.421 ratingsInstead of calling the Indian takeaway, make your own easy chicken jalfrezi. This curry is also healthy with two of your 5-a-day and a dose of vitamin C
- Slow-cooker vegetable lasagneA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.126 ratingsMake this low-calorie veggie lasagne as a lighter alternative to the traditional bake. It’s layered with pasta, ratatouille and sliced aubergine, and packs in all of your five-a-day
- Steaks with goulash sauce & sweet potato friesA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.30 ratingsEnjoy fillet steak with sauce for a healthy dinner that also boasts sweet potato fries, spinach and cherry tomatoes. You’ll be getting all of your 5-a-day
- Scotch brothA star rating of 5 out of 5.11 ratingsTuck into a hearty bowl of Scotch broth soup for a healthy lunch or supper. Packed with veg and grains, serve with a hunk of crusty bread
- Slow cooker meatballsA star rating of 4 out of 5.40 ratingsTry these slow cooker meatballs for a tasty family meal. Turkey mince makes lighter meatballs which kids love. They also freeze well so you can batch cook
- Little beef & mushroom piesA star rating of 3.8 out of 5.4 ratingsTreat yourself to these healthy beef and mushroom pies – they’re ideal for entertaining or freezing. As well as being tasty, they deliver 5 of your 5-a-day
- Duck ragu with pappardelle & swedeA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.41 ratingsSubstituting half your pasta for swede ribbons and the breast of the duck rather than the leg makes this a leaner, but equally delicious, ragu
- Chicken & sweetcorn soupA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.11 ratingsMake a stock from roast dinner leftovers to create this chicken and sweetcorn soup. The bone broth adds important minerals and it’s low in fat and calories
- Rustic vegetable soupA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.36 ratingsThis vegetarian soup is packed with vegetables and lentils – it’s healthy, low fat and full of flavour. To bulk it up, why not add borlotti beans or chicken?
- Spinach & barley risottoA star rating of 5 out of 5.3 ratingsThis creamy dish uses a can of barley to cut the cooking time to just 25 minutes. It’s a healthy, low calorie dinner option that provides three of your 5-a-day
- Cod with an orange & dill crumb and hasselback potatoA star rating of 3.9 out of 5.13 ratingsThis is a dish that’s big on flavour as well as texture with a crunchy topping to succulent white fish and crisp potato to go with it, a healthy dinner for one
- Vegan shepherd’s pieA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.121 ratingsA warming vegan supper with porcini mushrooms, leeks, carrots, and butternut squash, topped with crispy potatoes. It’s low calorie, low fat, and perfect for when the nights draw in
- Spiced lentil & butternut squash soupA star rating of 4.9 out of 5.140 ratingsCook a big batch of this filling spiced lentil and squash soup and freeze the leftovers for a speedy supper another day. It’s healthy and low in fat
- Moroccan roast lamb with roasted roots & corianderA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.17 ratingsServe up this tasty Moroccan roast lamb dish for a low-calorie main that delivers stacks of flavour and three of your 5-a-day
- Cardamom chicken with lime leavesA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.32 ratingsIf you’re a true curry lover, the layers of spice in this fragrant and tender chicken thigh curry will really hit the spot
- Vegetarian bean pot with herby breadcrumbsA star rating of 3.3 out of 5.17 ratingsGet five of your 5-a-day in one hit with this vegetarian bean pot topped with breadcrumbs. It’s bursting with nutrients, low in calories and packed with flavour
- Cauliflower, paneer & pea curryA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.146 ratingsReady in less than an hour, this easy, vegetarian curry recipe made with pan-fried Indian cheese and vegetables is also cheap to prepare
- Pearl barley, bacon & leek casseroleA star rating of 3.9 out of 5.63 ratingsThis storecupboard grain makes a great alternative to rice or couscous. Team with bacon and veggies in this risotto-like stew
- Chicken & leek piesA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.60 ratingsComfort food doesn’t have to mean calories, this superhealthy pie uses filo pastry to keep it low in saturated fat
- Curried lentil, parsnip & apple soupA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.30 ratingsThis spicy soup combines red lentils, apples and parsnip for a smooth, warming soup – a low fat meal that you can make ahead and freeze
- Indian winter soupA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.37 ratingsThis warming winter soup is high in fibre, low in fat and can be frozen for ultimate convenience
- Spiced braised venison with chilli & chocolateA star rating of 4.9 out of 5.16 ratingsThis can be eaten as stew or used in a pastry or cottage pie. The chocolate adds an extra richness and glossiness to the finished sauce
- Spinach & squash salad with coconut dressingA star rating of 2.5 out of 5.2 ratingsRoasted butternut squash, lime-marinated onions and spinach leaves dressed with coconut cream make the perfect winter buffet salad