This Homemade Apple Crisp With Oats recipe is delicious and easy to make. It’s a delicious dessert that combines apples, oats, butter, vanilla extract and brown sugar, baked to perfection for a sweet and crunchy treat. This recipe is a delicious fall treat! I’m going to show you how to make homemade apple crisp with oats. It’s super easy, and it tastes delicious.
HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP RECIPE
Apple crisp is one of the easiest and most delicious desserts to make. This homemade apple crisp recipe is full of fall flavors, a juicy sweet buttery flavor, topped with a baked oat apple crisp topping. It’s perfect fall and winter.
If you’re looking for a new recipe for apple crisp, this one is sure to please, whether you’re trying to impress loved ones over Thanksgiving or feeling a little nostalgic.
The topping has oats that add texture and flavor. There’s also plenty of brown sugar, which gives it that caramelized taste we all love so much. And don’t forget the cinnamon – it really makes the dish come alive.
- It’s simple to make, much easier than an apple pie! Once you’re done with the little prep work of peeling and slicing the apples, this is one of the easiest desserts to bake.
- This recipe has melted butter poured over the top after the crisp is baked It give it the ultimate flavor.
- It’s perfect for fall and winter and great for anyone who doesn’t want to fuss with a super fancy dessert.
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY APPLE CRISP
Apples – Any variety will work. We used Granny Smith green apples. They need to be peeled and thinly sliced.
Corn Starch – This helps to thicken the filling.
Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens the dessert.
Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract to enhance the flavors in the recipe.
Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed lemon juice to add acidity to the filling.
Brown Sugar – Gives the crisp a deeper molasses flavor.
Rolled Oats – Used in the topping and get nice and crisp with baked with butter.
Flour – All-purpose flour is also used in the topping.
Cinnamon & Nutmeg – These fall spices add flavor to the apple crips.
Butter – Adds so much flavor to the topping.
Preheat – Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Peel & Slice – The apples need to be peeled and then thinly sliced.
Apple Filling – Mix the sliced apples, corn starch, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and mix using a spatula until the ingredients are combined.
Apple Crisp Topping – In another mixing bowl add in the rolled oats, flour, cubed butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Mix – Mix the topping together until combined.
Layer – In a round skillet layer the apples evenly until the bottom is filled. Then add a second layer over until you run out of apples.
Apple Crisp Topping – Spoon the apple crisp topping over the top of the sliced apples, covering all of them.
Bake – Place the skillet on a baking sheet and in the oven for 40 minutes. The apples will be tender and the topping should be brown and crispy.
Pour – Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter and pour it all over the top of the crisp.
Serve – Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
TIPS FOR MAKING A HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
While slicing and peeling the apples, place them in a large bowl filled with cold lemon water. This way they won’t brown as you’re slicing and peeling all 5 apples.
Pour the melted butter over the top after the crisp is baked. This adds even more flavor to the apple crisp.
You can use a sheet pan or a square pan to bake an apple crips as well. This is an easy dessert and what you bake it in won’t change the flavor or texture too much.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER APPLE CRISP
Apple crisps are best enjoyed soon after they’re made. For maximum freshness, store any leftovers on a plate at room temperature for 24 hours.
You can also refrigerate the apple crisp in an airtight container for 5 to 6 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What Is the Difference Between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble?
It’s easy to mistake the apple crisp and the apple crumble. After all, both are baked fruit desserts with a crunchy crisp topping. However, while the apple crisp topping includes oats or nuts, apple crumbles rarely do.
Should You Peel Apples for Apple Crisp?
Yes. The apples should be peeled and sliced. Start at the top, or stem, of the apple, then circle down.
What apples are best for an apple crisp?
You can use any apples you like! Our personal choice is Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji or Honeycrisp.
How Long Does Apple Crisp Last in the Fridge?
You can store apple crisp in a fridge for up to six days as long as it is covered or in an airtight container. At room temperature, it’s good for two days, after which you should discard it.
CAN I FREEZE LEFTOVER APPLE CRISP?
You can freeze apple crisp. Let it come to room temperature, then store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator and then bake it again in 350 degree oven for abut 15 minute so it can warm up.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
Vanilla ice cream is the perfect pairing. You could also drizzle homemade caramel sauce over the top, a heartwarming winter treat. Still, the natural sweetness makes apple crumble tasty enough to enjoy on its own with a cup of coffee, tea or hot cocoa.
The Best Apple Crisp Recipe
Could there be a better treat this time of year? Especially this time of year with the abundance of fresh apples in season. Plus, I love that this easy apple crisp doesn’t take as much work as an apple pie, but it has similarly delicious flavors.
This homemade apple crisp is packed with fresh, juicy apples that are perfectly sweetened and baked until perfectly tender. And don’t even get me started on that crumb topping! It’s crispy, golden brown, buttery perfection.
Trust me, this apple crisp will be the highlight of any meal. I mean if I had it my way this would be the main meal :).
Easy Apple Crisp Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Old fashioned rolled oats
- Light brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Granny Smith apples
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Apple Crisp
- Adjust oven rack and preheat oven. Butter baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Rub butter into dry mixture with fingertips until it comes together into small crumbles. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl whisk together melted butter and flour until well blended, then mix in water, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt.
- Toss apples with butter mixture in a bowl then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crumble apple crisp topping.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
What Are the Best Apples for Apple Crisp?
I prefer using a sturdy cooking apple that’s slightly tart, like Granny Smiths. Other apples would work, like braeburn or golden delicious, but sugar amounts and bake times might need to be adjusted.
Your apples should also be room temperature (this ensures that they bake evenly in the oven).
What Should I Serve on Top?
The best way to serve this always with vanilla ice cream. Then for an added bonus if you have time make some homemade salted caramel sauce.
Tips for the Best Apple Crisp
- Be sure to slice your apples thinly so they become fully tender. No one wants a crunchy apple in their apple crisp.
- Stick with granny smith apples for consistent results.
- If you only have salted butter on hand, reduce the salt in the topping to 1/8 tsp and omit the salt in the filling.
- Serve this homemade apple crisp freshly baked and warm. It will be okay for a couple of days, but the topping does start to soften up so I like it best fresh.
Crisps and crumbles are one of my favorite desserts because I love fruit and I’m head over heels crazy for a good sweet, crisp topping.
Plus, I love that they are faster than pies and you don’t have to wait 2 hours for pie crust to chill, then 2 hours for the pie to cool.
This is what fall weekend are all about! Walks through the autumn trees where you’re all bundled up cozy, warm apple cider and hot cocoa, pumpkin patch shopping and carving, and this easy apple crisp. It’s a must!
RECIPE VARIATIONS TO TRY
This cookie-like fruit crisp topping is divine on top of baked apple filling. It’s also delicious on other fruit crisps.
- I use this on my rhubarb crisp and leave out the cinnamon. It’s delicious.
- Try it on a peach crisp. Swap the cinnamon for ground ginger.
- Make a mixed berry crisp with this topping. You can try the filling I use for my Razzleberry Pie.
- In the fall, it’s great on top of a pear and cranberry filling.
Get creative and use the apple crisp topping however you’d like!
CAN THIS RECIPE BE MADE GLUTEN-FREE?
This is the perfect gluten-free apple crisp recipe! The GF version tastes exactly like the original. So, if you are baking for a mixed-diet crowd, this is the dessert to make!
I always use Cup4Cup in my gluten-free baking and cooking. You can swap the regular all-purpose flour for equal parts Cup4Cup GF all-purpose flour, and follow the method for the recipe as is.
Please make sure you use GF oats if you are feeding someone with celiac.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CRISP?
The apples to choose for apple crisp is really up to you. I’ll tell you that apples have different textures and flavors, so you’ll want to decide what you like.
When I make my Salted Caramel Apple Pie, I use a mix of apples. Macintosh and Empire are geniuses for baked desserts. They are sweet and break down into soft bites when cooked. Almost melting in your mouth.
Other apples like Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, and even Granny Smith are great in the mix for sturdy texture and tartness. They stand up to cooking, holding their shape and toothsome juiciness.
Play around with your own mix. You can’t go wrong with a variety. Then, you’ll have all the tastes and textures in every bite.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- You can peel the apples like I do, or leave the skins on if that’s your preference.
- I’ve only made this recipe with regular butter, but I imagine you could substitute margarine or another dairy-free butter option if desired.
- Make the apple crisp with oats a la mode by topping it with my luscious Eggless Vanilla Ice Cream recipe.