Want to know how-to make banana nut bread easy? Well you’ve come to the right place. I love healthy, tasty and homemade banana nut bread. It’s one of my favorite foods. And it always tastes great, except when it doesn’t turn out well. After a few tried and true recipes, this recipe for how-to make banana nut bread is the best one I’ve found yet.
EASY BANANA NUT BREAD (WALNUT BANANA BREAD)
This easy banana nut bread recipe is nutty & delicious! Walnut banana bread is a classic treat and great for breakfast or a snack. This recipe is easy to make and only uses a few simple ingredients. Of course, the key ingredients are RIPE bananas and chopped walnuts. If you have a nut-loving family, they will really enjoy this walnut banana bread. In addition, beyond their great taste, people like to eat walnuts due to their high omega-3 content.
Easy Banana Nut Bread – Straight from the Oven
However, since this banana bread contains walnuts, please do not serve it to anyone with a nut allergy. Also because this banana bread contains chopped nuts, it may be a choking hazard to very young children. Always use caution when serving any type of banana nut bread!
Key Ingredients – Chopped Walnuts & Ripe Bananas
This walnut banana bread recipe should take you only 10-15 minutes to prepare and clean up. Please be aware that this is an oven-baked banana bread recipe. It is not made with a bread machine. For more banana bread ideas, please visit our main section on Banana Bread Variations. Bread Dad also has a printable and “pin-able” recipe at the bottom of this page. If you liked this recipe, we hope you will leave a comment below and give us a 5 star rating. We would love to hear from you!
Ingredients – Easy Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 8 Tablespoons – Unsalted Butter (softened) – 115 grams
- 2 – Large Eggs
- 3 – Bananas (ripe & large sized) – 345 grams – Roughly 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas
- 2 Cups – Flour (all purpose flour) – 240 grams
- 1 Cup – White Granulated Sugar – 200 grams
- 1 Cup – Chopped Walnuts – 115 grams – 3/4 cup for inside the batter and 1/4 cup sprinkled on top of the batter
- 1 Teaspoon – Vanilla Extract – 5 milliliters
- 1 Teaspoon – Baking Soda – 5 milliliters
- 1 Teaspoon – Baking Powder (aluminum free) – 5 milliliters
- 1/2 Teaspoon – Salt – 2.5 milliliters
Servings – Roughly 12 slices
Equipment – Measuring cup & spoons, mixing bowl, long wooden spoon, 9 by 5 bread pan, oven mitts, silicon spatula, cooling rack and an oven.
Instructions – Easy Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mash bananas with a fork.
- Soften butter in a microwave.
- Stir eggs, bananas and butter together.
- Mix in remaining ingredients (except the chopped walnuts). Stir until the batter is fully mixed.
- Add 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the batter (and save the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts for later). Make sure the chopped walnuts are evenly spread throughout the batter.
- Pour finished batter into a nonstick bread pan. Smooth out the top of the batter within the bread pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts on top of the batter before placing into the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 65-70 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let the banana bread cool down in the bread pan for 10 minutes. Do not remove the banana bread from the bread pan during this 10 minute cool down period. Use oven mitts as the bread pan will be very hot coming out of the oven.
- After 10 minutes, remove the banana bread from the bread pan. Place the banana bread on a cooling rack in order to completely cool. This cool down may take 1-2 hours. Gently slide a silicon spatula between the banana bread and the bread pan walls if the banana bread is stuck in the pan.
- Please read Bread Dad’s tips section below for extra information on how to make this recipe successfully & to avoid common banana bread problems.
Put those ripe bananas to use in the best banana bread recipe ever. Moist and delicious, it’s easy to make—one bowl, no need for a mixer
This banana bread has been the most popular recipe on Simply Recipes for over 10 years. Thousands of people make it every day. Why?
Because it really is the best banana bread recipe, period. You can mix everything in one bowl, you can vary the amount of sugar or bananas. And the secret to its great flavor? Melted butter
The beauty of this banana bread recipe is you don’t need a fancy mixer! A mixing bowl, a fork to whisk the eggs, and a sturdy spoon to mix the batter are all you need. The sugar amount is flexible. The original recipe called for a cup of white sugar, but most people, including me, do just fine with 3/4 cup, and many are happy with 1/2 cup
You can toss in a cup of chopped nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips if you want, or put the batter into muffin tins and make banana nut muffins instead. You can even go a step further and make chocolate banana bread.
I was given this banana bread recipe years ago from my friend Heidi H, who, many years before, had begged the recipe from a ski buddy’s mother—Mrs. Hockmeyer. Thanks Heidi!
How to Make Banana Bread
The Best Loaf Pan for This Recipe
This recipe calls for an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan, which produces a tall loaf. The recipe will also work in an 8 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, producing a slightly shorter bread. Since the pan is a bit larger, the bake time is shorter: 47 to 57 minutes. A 9- x 5-inch pan will yield an especially short but still delicious bread; bake for 45 to 55 minutes.The Best Loaf Pans for Making Banana BreadREAD MORE:
Adapt This Banana Bread Recipe
- Swap out all of part of the sugar for light brown sugar.
- Replace up to half of the flour with white whole wheat flour.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or dried fruit.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
More Banana Bread Recipes!
PREP TIME10 minsCOOK TIME60 minsTOTAL TIME70 minsSERVINGS8 to 10 servingsYIELD1 loaf
No need for a mixer for this recipe! Clean-up is easy, too. If you want, you can mix everything in one bowl.
This recipe calls for an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan. If you are baking in an 8 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch pan, bake for 47 to 57 minutes. If baking in a 9- x 5-inch pan, bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Note that the larger pan size will produce a flatter loaf.
The best bananas to use for banana bread are those that are over-ripe. The yellow peels should be at least half browned, and the bananas inside squishy and browning.
- 2 to 3 medium (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) very ripe bananas, peeled (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/3 cup (76g) butter, unsalted or salted, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar (1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet, 1 cup if more sweet)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (205g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven and prepare the pan:
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Mash the bananas and add the butter:
In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients:
Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour.
- Bake the bread:
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.Bake for 55 to 65 minutes at 350°F (175°C), or until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. A few dry crumbs are okay; streaks of wet batter are not. If the outside of the loaf is browned but the center is still wet, loosely tent the loaf with foil and continue baking until the loaf is fully baked.
- Cool and serve:
Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then remove the banana bread from the pan and let cool completely before serving. Slice and serve. (A bread knife helps to make slices that aren’t crumbly.)Wrapped well, the banana bread will keep at room temperature for 4 days. For longer storage, refrigerate the loaf up to 5 days, or freeze it.
Easy Banana Nut Bread
Banana Nut Bread is an easy banana bread recipe, perfect for those last minute guests or lazy weekend breakfasts. Made with ripe bananas, pecans, and cinnamon this homemade bread is so airy and moist.
Banana Bread can be made with or without nuts, or made into banana nut crunch muffins. Either way, it will be a family favorite for years to come!
Ingredients in Banana Nut Bread
Bananas: You’ll want bananas that are spotty and brown with a little bit of yellow. Ripe bananas have more sugars and are sweeter, the perfect addition to this bread.
Butter & Shortening: This banana nut bread uses a combination of shortening and butter. Shortening has a higher fat content (and melting point) so it makes a more tender bread. The addition of butter is for flavor. You can use all butter in this recipe if you prefer but I would suggest trying it with shortening too, the results are great!
Nuts: You can use any kind of nuts in this recipe, my go to is pecans or walnuts.
How to Make Banana Nut Bread
- Mix the butter/shortening with sugar until fluffy. This incorporates air into the mixture for a tender bread.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients (per recipe below) just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Spread into a loaf pan and top with cinnamon sugar pecans. Bake about 1 hour.