Today we will be showing you how to make banana pudding cupcakes recipe that anyone can make. Here is the ingredients you need: two cups of flour, one and a half cups of sugar, one teaspoon of baking soda and a quarter teaspoon of salt, four tablespoons of shortening, three cups of peeled bananas and vanilla extract. Next grab an electric mixer and beat the shortening, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until creamy and fluffy.
Banana Pudding Cupcakes
This dessert has all the flavors of banana pudding in a handheld treat. The cake is infused with vanilla cookie crumbs and studded with bits of banana, while a silky soft mixture of white chocolate and cream create a filling that tastes just like vanilla pudding. A swoop of frosting finishes off the dessert: perfect for when a craving for banana pudding strikes.Save Recipe
- Level: Easy
For the Cupcakes and Filling:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup finely ground vanilla wafer cookies (from about 3/4 cup whole cookies)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large banana, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
For the Frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
Vanilla wafer cookies and banana slices, for topping
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk the flour, ground cookies, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Combine the milk and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, beat the flour mixture into the batter in two batches, alternating with the milk mixture in two batches. Add the chopped banana and stir with a rubber spatula until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters of the way. Bake until the cupcakes are golden and spring back when gently pressed, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to the rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling: Put the white chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until steaming, then pour over the white chocolate and let stand until softened, 3 to 5 minutes; stir until smooth. Let cool about 15 minutes, then refrigerate until thickened slightly, 5 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The filling should fall off a spoon in a slow, thick ribbon.
- Make the frosting: Beat the butter and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the confectioners’ sugar, then increase the speed to medium high and beat until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk and beat until smooth, about 1 more minute. Beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon milk if the frosting is too stiff.
- Cut a 1-inch-wide slit in the top of each cupcake, cutting about halfway down. Transfer the filling to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Gently squeeze each cupcake to open and pipe the filling into the cupcakes. Spread or pipe the frosting on the cupcakes; top each with a cookie and a banana slice.
BANANA PUDDING CUPCAKES
These delicious Banana Pudding Cupcakes are a homemade cupcake filled with banana pudding and topped with a tasty buttercream. The perfect handheld dessert for banana lovers!
BANANA PUDDING CUPCAKES
I have a thing for anything BANANA PUDDING. I make so many recipes inspired by this classic dessert. I’ve got BANANA PUDDING POKE CAKE, BANANA PUDDING CHEESECAKE, BANANA PUDDING PIE and many more! It is one of my favorite recipes. Coming from the south, it is a staple around here and it has to meet our high standards! These banana pudding cupcakes are a delicious homemade white cupcake that has been filled with banana pudding and topped with a homemade buttercream frosting. If you are a cupcake and banana pudding lover, then you absolutely need to try my Banana Pudding Cupcake recipe!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING BANANA PUDDING CUPCAKES:
- The pudding does not need to be fully set as it will set up in the cupcake itself.
- You will want to gently spread the pudding with a spoon to the sides of the cupcake but do not let it drip down the sides.
- Make sure to buy INSTANT pudding NOT cook and serve pudding or it won’t set up.
- If you do not want to make homemade cupcakes you can swap it out with a white or vanilla boxed cake mix.
- The garnishes are completely optional. The sliced bananas on top will go brown after a while if they are not consumed right away.
- Make sure the cupcakes cool fully before coring and filling.
- You will have some pudding mixture leftover. Put it in a covered container in your refrigerator and save it for later!
- If you’d like use a homemade pudding, check out my recipe for VANILLA PUDDING and just add two teaspoons of banana extract to that recipe instead of the vanilla extract.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- instant banana pudding
- unsalted butter
- banana extract
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE BANANA PUDDING CUPCAKES:
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners, set aside. In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Whisk together until combined then add to the bowl of stand mixer.
Add in the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full with cupcake batter and bake for 18-20 minutes until slightly golden and tops spring back when touched
Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely.
To make the pudding add together pudding mixture and milk in a medium bowl.
Whisk mixture just until it starts to set up, set aside.
To make the buttercream add the butter, banana extract and salt in bowl.
Beat together until light and fluffy.
Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
Beat until everything is incorporated.
Add in the milk one tablespoon at a time.
Then beat for 2-3 minutes to whip it up nice and fluffy.
Once cupcakes are cool, core out the centers.
Fill with pudding and spread pudding over the tops of cupcakes to the sides (you will have pudding leftover.)
To frost cupcakes, place buttercream into piping bag fitted with open star tip (Wilton 1m) and pipe onto tops of cupcakes and top each one with a whole vanilla wafer and a slice of banana, if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE:
- These Banana Pudding Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- You can let them warm up on the countertop for a bit to let the frosting soften before consuming.
- I do not recommend freezing these cupcakes after they have been filled because the pudding can become liquid-y after defrosting.
- You can freeze baked cupcakes that have not been filled or frosted in an airtight container, in the freezer, for up to 4-6 months. Let defrost on countertop before filling and frosting.
Banana Pudding Cupcakes
Moist vanilla cupcakes filled with banana pudding and topped with whipped cream. I use homemade pudding and whipped cream for this recipe but you can use store-bought instead if pressed for time.
Cook:18 minsAdditional:30 minsTotal:1 hr 23 minsPrep:35 minsServings:24Yield:24 cupcakes
Decrease Serving24Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 24 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 24 vanilla wafers (such as Nilla®)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package vanilla cake mix (such as Duncan Hines®)
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 ⅔ cups crushed vanilla wafers (such as Nilla®), divided
- 1 cup vanilla pudding
- ½ cup thinly sliced ripe banana
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, or more to taste
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Step 2Place 1 vanilla wafer flat-side down in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Step 3Blend vanilla cake mix, water, eggs, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Fold in mashed bananas and 1 cup crushed wafers. Scoop batter into prepared tins.
- Step 4Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Step 5Combine vanilla pudding and sliced banana in a small bowl.
- Step 6Scoop out tops of cooled cupcakes, leaving a small hole in the middle of each. Fill holes with pudding mixture. Place a heaping spoonful of whipped cream on each cupcake; garnish with remaining 2/3 cup crushed vanilla wafers.