How To Make Banana Pudding With Vanilla Wafers Banana pudding is a Southern dessert classic. It’s commonly associated with weddings and other formal events. It’s easy to make, and it makes its own topping …
For some reason this recipe has always intimidated me. Banana pudding sounds delicious, but I’ve had no clue how to make it. But thanks to our pals at allrecipes.com and their awesome Banana Pudding With Vanilla Wafers recipe, I can now say that I’ve made banana pudding before…and let me tell you, it’s delicious!
EASY BANANA PUDDING
Creamy Sweet Banana Pudding Is The Best Dessert To Bring For A Party! It Steals The Show With Its Light Banana Flavor, Thick Pudding, And Crunchy Vanilla Cookies.
This classic dessert is perfect any time of the year. Whether you are serving it in a trifle, in individual jars or in a casserole dish, no one can resist it’s delicious flavors. Be sure to check out our Banana Pudding Poke Cake too!
HOMEMADE BANANA PUDDING
I have a soft spot in my heart for homemade banana pudding. It’s one of my very favorite desserts. It’s requires simple ingredients, comes together pretty quick, and the flavor is addicting! I could eat that silky smooth pudding all day long.
One of the best things about banana pudding is the way you serve it.
You can layer it in a trifle dish with all it’s delicious ingredients and serve it with a big spoon. You can also serve it in individual small cups or mason jars. Then everyone gets to eat their own little serving of banana pudding. You can even serve it in a casserole dish! Or even as a Poke Cake!
No matter how you prepare it, this classic treat is bound to be a favorite with anyone who tries it.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA PUDDING
Banana pudding consists of four layers:
- Nilla Wafer cookies
- Pudding mixture
- Sliced bananas
- Whipped topping
PUDDING. Get started with making the pudding mixture first. Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy- make sure there are no clumps!
Then mix in the sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla. Combine everything until smooth. Fold in 8 oz. (2 cups) of whipped cream topping and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Grab your trifle dish and layer vanilla cookies around the edge on the bottom.
- Then add half the pudding mixture and spread it across the bottom of the dish.
- Top that with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Then put a layer of whipped cream on top of the bananas
- Repeat the layers in that order.
- Finish it off with vanilla cookies on top and a few bananas.
Keep it in the fridge to chill for at least an hour or overnight.
This banana pudding recipe is similar to our banana pudding poke cake! That recipe is perfect for when you’re wanting the flavors of banana pudding but also want to eat cake. Everything you love about banana pudding in cake form!
It’s also one of the easiest dessert recipes EVER. Give both of these recipes a try- I know you will love them.
MAKING AHEAD AND STORING
Can it be made ahead? Vanilla Wafer Banana pudding just gets better with time. That’s why I love this dessert. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more soft the cookies get by soaking in all the moisture from the pudding.
It tastes amazing on day two or even day three, which is why it’s a great make-ahead dessert. If you’re going to make it ahead of time, don’t put any bananas on top or they will look brown and gross the next day.
How to store banana pudding? You can leave it in the trifle dish, or whatever dish you serve it in, and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Homemade banana pudding can last 5-6 days covered in the fridge.
Are you excited to try this recipe? I hope you love it!
BANANA PUDDING RECIPE
SaveRatePinPrint4.6 from 15 votesCreamy sweet banana pudding is the best dessert to bring for a party! It steals the show with its light banana flavor, thick pudding, and crunchy vanilla cookies.CourseDessertCuisineAmericanPrep Time20 minutes1 hourTotal Time20 minutesServings12Calories74 kcalAuthorLil’ Luna
- ▢1 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- ▢1 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ▢1 5 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
- ▢3 cups cold milk
- ▢1 tsp vanilla extract
- ▢3 8 oz. whipped topping thawed (or 6 cups homemade whipped cream)
- ▢4 bananas sliced
- ▢1/2 12 oz. box Vanilla Wafers
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy and with no clumps. Add sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Fold in 8 oz. whipped cream and mix until combined. Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a trifle dish with vanilla wafers around the edge. Add half the pudding mixture and spread across, topped with a layer of sliced bananas. Add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Nilla wafers – pudding mixture – bananas – whipped topping.
- Top with more wafers and banana slices if desired. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Perfect Banana Pudding
Prep:15 minsCook:0 minsChill:30 minsTotal:45 minsServings:8 to 10 servings234 RATINGS 9
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
Show Full Nutrition Label(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)SAVE RECIPE
Banana pudding has long been a favorite Southern dessert, and this shortcut version of the classic treat is an excellent choice for a busy day. This recipe is made with instant vanilla pudding, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla wafers, prepared whipped cream, and sliced bananas, making for an easy and convenient layered dessert that is sure to impress.
Because this recipe uses boxed pudding mix, there’s no need to turn on the oven or stove. It’s a great no-bake option for a hot day. Ripe bananas are especially delicious in the layers since they’re sweeter and have a stronger flavor, and it’s a nice way to use up any extra fruit.
To keep the sliced bananas from turning brown, they are gently tossed or brushed with a small amount of lemon juice. You’ll just need a few minutes to mix up the pudding and stack the layers in a trifle dish, glass bowl, or individual dishes. If you’re entertaining, make it right before dinner, cover, and stick it in the fridge to chill. Top with freshly sliced banana just before serving.
Click Play to See This Sweet Banana Pudding Come Together
“This banana pudding dish is just heavenly. An extremely luscious dessert that people were going back for seconds and thirds of this dessert when I made it. It was even incredible the next day! I ended up making this twice because it was so insanely good. Definitely going to save this one for the future.
A Note From Our Recipe Tester
- 3 firm, ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 (5-ounce) package (6-serving size) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container whipped topping, divided
- 30 vanilla wafer cookies
- Vanilla sugar, or cinnamon sugar, for garnish, optional
- 1 firm, ripe banana, for topping, if desired
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Peel and slice the bananas and toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Combine the cold milk and instant vanilla pudding mix and whisk or beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix until thoroughly blended. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- With a spatula or spoon, fold half of the whipped topping into the pudding mixture.
- In an 8-inch trifle dish, alternate layers of pudding, banana slices, and vanilla wafers. Spoon or pipe the remaining whipped topping over the pudding. Chill the pudding for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish the dessert with freshly sliced banana, if desired. For an extra special look, sprinkle the dessert with vanilla sugar or a cinnamon-sugar blend.
A banana pudding with cream cheese, condensed milk, and vanilla wafers that’s quick and easy to make. Enjoy!
Additional:3 hrsTotal:3 hrs 30 minsPrep:30 minsServings:12Yield:1 (9×13-inch) dish
Decrease Serving12Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 12 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups cold skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- ½ (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 4 bananas, sliced
- Step 1Beat cream cheese in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk, then pudding mix. Gradually mix in cold milk until smooth, followed by vanilla. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping.
- Step 2Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch dish with vanilla wafers. Arrange sliced bananas evenly on top. Cover with pudding mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping.
- Step 3Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.