I’m here to help you out, today I want to talk about how to make Bionico sauce. This is a very simple recipe that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes. Bionico sauce is a delicious slightly spicy salsa served in Mexican restaurants all around the world. Now, don’t be too impressed: It’s easy to make! This quick and simple recipe will make you look like a gourmet chef.
This dish is one of the best creations of Mexican street food. Why? Because it’s delicious, simple to make, easy to carry, and uses the fruits that are in season. On top of that, the healthy portion of fruit is meant to supercharge you with energy. And with a name like Bionico (“bionic”), it better!
Bionicos are a form of fruit cocktail originally made in Guadalajara with chopped fruits and then bathed in a sweet cream mixture and topped off with granola, pecans, raisins, and shredded coconut.
Bionico Fruit Cocktail Recipe
“Bionicos were first invented by a street vendor in the city of Guadalajara in Jalisco, Mexico in the early 1990s. It was originally intended to be a healthy breakfast item.
The popularity of the dessert quickly spread and it is now served in many parts of Mexico and even some parts of the United States. Bionicos are primarily served by street vendors and juice bars.”
Fruits like papaya, strawberries, cantaloupe, apples, and bananas are the most commonly used in Bionicos, but these change depending on the season and what is currently available. Yes, you can make a different version of this snack for every season of the year! You can use a mix of berries for a spring cocktail, mangoes, peaches, and plums for a summer version, and apples, pears, and figs for the Fall and Winter seasons.
Mexican street food is a culture on its own, and contrary to what many outsiders might think about street food in general, Mexican street food has many healthy options (not all you find are tacos and sandwiches), We Mexicans love our Aguas Frescas, fruit cocktails, ice pops, shaved ice, fresh corn (either roasted, grilled or steamed), baked fruits, and even vegetable salads.
How to make Bionico Recipe
- Gently mix the diced fruit in a medium-size bowl and set aside or place in the refrigerator to keep it cool. (Please check the ingredients list below)
- In a small bowl, mix the cream, yogurt, and condensed milk.
- Stir in the vanilla flavoring, and mix well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the creamy mix to the bottom of 4 cups or dessert bowls. Divide the fruit into the cups. Just before serving, pour 2 tablespoons of the cream mixture over each fruit cup and garnish with the chopped pecans, granola, raisins and shredded coconut. If you prefer, you can let everyone garnish their fruit cup to their liking. If you want to add a little more sweetness, then you can drizzle some honey on top.
I love the convenience of this deli cups with a lid, that way you can carry them with you to work, or even to a picnic after a walk in the park!
Bionicos (Mexican Fruit Bowls) are a refreshing and sweet dessert you can enjoy all summer long! Made with fresh fruit, a sweet cream sauce, and lots of toppings, this popular Mexican street food is easy to make and ready in less than 10 minutes.
Sweet, juicy, and refreshing, these Bionicos (Mexican Fruit Bowls) are one of my favorite treats to enjoy during the summer. Layers of fresh fruit are dressed in a sweet and tangy yogurt sauce before being finished with a few delectable toppings. It’ll be the best fruit salad you ever try!
Just like fresas con crema and Mexican fruit cups, each bite of this Mexican fruit cocktail is sweet, creamy, and luscious. The recipe is flexible too! Use any seasonal fruits or berries you love and layer each bowl with plenty of toppings. My favorites are shredded coconut, granola, honey, and pecans.
All you need are a handful of ingredients, a few topping options, and less than 10 minutes to put it all together. It’s a cool and refreshing treat that was made to enjoy next to the pool or under the summer sun!
WHAT ARE BIONICOS?
Bionicos (pronounced “bee-oh-nee-koze”) are made with a variety of chopped fruit, a sweet, creamy sauce, and toppings. Invented by a street vendor in Guadalajara, these fruit bowls were originally meant to be a healthy breakfast item. As their popularity grew, bionicos quickly became a dessert instead!
This Mexican fruit salad can be made with almost any kind of seasonal fruit, but the traditional choices are usually strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, or papaya. An authentic creamy dressing for bionicos is made with Mexican crema but sour cream is the next best thing. Lastly, finish each bowl with lots of toppings, like granola, shredded coconut, and nuts.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Sweet cream sauce – Made from plain yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream or Mexican crema, and vanilla. This sweet and tangy sauce is drizzled on top or underneath the fruit in the bowl to give the dessert its signature creamy texture.
- Fresh fruit – I used strawberries, bananas, apples, cantaloupe, pineapple, and blueberries. Feel free to swap these with anything else you like! Cherries, blackberries, peaches, or mangoes would also be great options.
- Toppings – Keep things on the sweeter side by topping your bionicos with shredded coconut, honey, pecans, or raisins. You could also use granola, chia seeds, walnuts, or almonds to make it more filling.
HOW TO MAKE BIONICOS
Stir the yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss the chopped fruit together.
Evenly divide the mixed fruit into small bowls for serving. Drizzle some of the sweet cream mixture on top of the fruit in each bowl. To finish, top the bionicos with your desired toppings and enjoy!
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- For a thinner consistency, use plain yogurt in the sweet cream.
- For a thicker consistency, use plain Greek yogurt instead.
- If you have a sweet tooth, feel free to double the amount of the sweet cream mixture. Spoon the extra on the bottom of each bowl as well as on top of the fruit.
- Instead of sour cream or crema, you can use cottage cheese to keep things healthy.
- Make it extra luscious with a drizzle of dulce de leche, cajeta, or honey on top!
Do you love a good fruit salad? Well, have I got a fruit recipe for you. Here’s a Mexican take on a simple fruit cocktail called bionico, which I might add is an addictively delicious treat! Make a batch of this bionico Mexican fruit salad the next time you crave a fresh and sweet dessert on a hot summer day.
I am lucky to live in Los Angeles, which is full of delicious Mexican food. One of my favorites is called a bionico, a famous fruit salad dish from Guadalajara, Mexico. Originally a street food offering, it’s basically a fruit salad tossed in a delicious sweet “milk” sauce and topped with granola.
From the first time I tried a bionico, I was hooked! They’re quick, easy to make, and perfect for summertime.
I always thought that, because it was a fruit-based dish, it was likely light and healthy, but the traditional version actually contains tons of sugar and fat from cream, condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
However, since I love it so much, I decided to find a lighter, healthier option. It is also one of those recipes that take 2 minutes to make but tastes delicious for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.
Key Ingredients For Bionicos Fruit Salad
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious Mexican fruit salad at home:
- Fruit: Typically this dish is made with a combination of banana, strawberries, cantaloupe, papaya, grapes, and apples. With that said, it works with virtually any fruit you like.
- Plain yogurt: To lighten the calorie load and add some protein, I used plain yogurt as the base of the bionico cream sauce. It still lends that creamy texture and delicious flavor but is a much healthier sauce base. You could also use plain greek yogurt or a non-dairy alternative.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Using yogurt alone would be creamy but a little on the tart side. While I didn’t use as much sweetened condensed milk as traditional Bionicos use, I wanted to use a small amount to maintain the recipe’s formal integrity. If you are looking to reduce the sugar and calories, even more, you could only use the yogurt and add a drizzle of honey to sweeten the fruit salad.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this bionico recipe, check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Recipe Tips and Ideas For Bionico Mexican Fruit Salad
Making this recipe couldn’t be easier. All it takes are these four simple steps: cut the fruit, mix up the sauce, toss the fruit in it, and add your favorite toppings.
I don’t think cut-up fruit in a sweet cream sauce can ever get boring. However, just in case, here are some variations you can make to this recipe so that it always feels fresh and exciting!
Use Seasonal Fruit
Strawberries, papaya, bananas, cantaloupe, and apples are traditionally used in this Mexican fruit salad recipe. However, you can change up the fruit combinations to fit the seasons of the year.
Here are some ideas:
- Spring: A variety of fresh berries is always delicious.
- Summer: Mangoes, peaches, plums, and melons make a delicious combo.
- Fall & Winter: Pears, apples, pineapple, oranges, and maraschino cherries taste especially good in the cold weather months.
Add More Spices
There are small ways you can slightly change the flavor profile of this recipe when you want to spice things up. Try adding in a:
- Dash of cinnamon
- Splash of lime juice
- Tsp of vanilla extract
Change Up The Toppings
Granola is the traditional topping in this bionico fruit salad, but it doesn’t have to be your only option. Here are some other ideas for satisfying toppings.
- Pecans or other sliced or chopped nuts
- Raisins or dried cranberries
- Shredded coconut
- Strawberry jam
What To Serve With This Bionico Recipe
This dish stands alone as a tasty dessert or snack. You could also use it as a side dish with other delicious Mexican-inspired dishes.
I love to eat it on its own, especially on a hot sunny day in L.A. by the pool or beach!