How to make strawberry brownies? Sounds like a good question, but maybe not what you expected. Some people might assume I’ve gone mad and no longer know how to bake brownies. Others might assume I’m trying to experiment with new flavours or find healthier brownie recipes. And some might assume that strawberry brownies are simply white chocolate brownies with a few strawberries chopped up in them.
These brownies are for strawberry lovers! Strawberry Brownies are best served with vanilla ice cream, freshly whipped whip cream, fresh strawberries, and even strawberry sauce for drizzling. This recipe is perfect for any summer potluck or BBQ, bake sale or school party, or they even make a great midnight snack!
- 1 box Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 to 2 tablespoons water or milk
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 30mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, and spray with Pam.
Mix strawberry cake mix, eggs, and oil with a hand mixer until well combined. Spread batter evenly into pan.
Bake for 15 minutes or until just set; be careful not to overcook.
Allow brownies to cool for 10 minutes; lift carefully from pan using ends of parchment to lift.
Mix powdered sugar and water until smooth. Pour glaze over brownies, spreading to edges so that glaze will drip down sides.
Allow brownies to cool and glaze to set before cutting into squares.
STRAWBERRY BROWNIES RECIPE
How to make easy strawberry brownies with a strawberry cake mix and just a few simple ingredients for the quickest dessert ever.
Using only a few ingredients, like our cake mix lemon brownies, this dessert recipe for strawberry brownies uses different amounts of ingredients with the cake mix, so it creates more of dense, ooey-gooey texture, rather than a light and airy cake-like texture!
I honestly don’t know which one I love more. These strawberry cheesecake cookies or these strawberry brownies!
When it comes to deciding on which strawberry dessert to make, I guess it just depends what I have on hand… a strawberry cake mix for these or dried strawberries for the cookies! Or let’s be real… it’s hard not to also fall in love with this adorable cherry chip cake recipe!
STRAWBERRY BROWNIES RECIPE
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This easy dessert recipe is made with a cake mix!
- Strawberry lovers may just find that this is one of their new favorite recipes!
EASY WITH STRAWBERRY CAKE MIX
Sometimes I love a from-scratch dessert but more often than not, that sweet tooth strikes and you want dessert now. That’s where these Strawberry Brownies come in.
They start with a strawberry cake mix to make these a cinch to whip up. We’re talking less than 5 minutes from start to in the oven.
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY BROWNIES
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Box strawberry cake mix
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry jam
Start by making the batter. In a large bowl, pour in the strawberry cake mix. (Image 1 below.)
Next, pour in the 2 large eggs and oil and mix strawberry cake mix in with the wet ingredients. (Images 2 & 3 below.)
The batter will be thick so keep at it until the ingredients come together. Press the batter into a greased 8×8 square baking pan. (Image 4 below.) You can also line the baking pan with parchment or foil if you prefer.
Bake for 18-22 minutes, until they are just cooked through. You want that thick, dense texture like a brownie, and overcooking will create a more cake-like texture.
Let cool completely before adding frosting.
The simple glaze is optional but adds a whole other dimension to the strawberry brownies so I definitely recommend it.
While the brownies are baking, or afterward, you can whisk together the powdered sugar, strawberry jam, and milk until you reach a thick consistency. (Images 5 & 6 below.)
Pour glaze over the cooled brownies and then cut in to small pieces.
Not only does the glaze add more sweetness to the brownies but it also provides another pop of strawberry flavor.
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY BROWNIES
Because of the frosting, these brownies will easily stick together. Because of this, you should store them in a single layer in an airtight container.
You can also layer parchment paper between layers if you need to stack them. Just be aware some of the frosting may stick as it doesn’t harden.
If making the frosting for these brownies, it’s best to store them in the refrigerator since it contains milk and jam. However if making without frosting, they can be stored in an airtight container on the counter.
Strawberry Brownies are a super simple springtime dessert that comes together easily with just a few pantry ingredients (cake mix!) and some fresh strawberries.
The Best Strawberry Brownies Ever!
When I think of spring I think of butterflies and cool breezes, rainy days and flowers, and lots and lots of strawberry recipes. These epic strawberry brownies are a new favorite because they are super easy to make and so delicious. Everyone loves them!
The recipe starts with cake mix, eggs, and oil. I love to add cream cheese to cake mix bars to give them a super moist and creamy texture. These strawberry brownies are rich like a brownie, with the sweet tanginess of strawberries. I love the addition of the fresh strawberries on top because they not only just look really pretty but they add a bit of texture as well.
They are perfect for parties, baby showers, and high tea because they look so elegant. No one will know they actually came from a box of cake mix! But they are a delicious after-school snack too. Don’t you just love a treat that is as versatile as these strawberry brownies?
Tips for Making Strawberry Brownies from a Cake Mix
- Use an electric mixer. This mixture is thick, which gives the brownies their dense texture, but it does make it a little difficult to mix by hand. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer will save your arms a workout.
- Don’t over mix. Over-mixing will result in a tough brownie, and no one wants that. Mix the batter just until no more of the dry powder is visible.
- Add mix-ins. For extra texture and flavor contrast, add a cup of white chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter and fold them in just until combined. Freeze-dried strawberries would be a great addition too. Just don’t use fresh strawberries IN the batter – the moisture will keep the strawberry brownies from baking up properly.
- Strawberry tips – If you have the time, lay out the sliced strawberries on a paper towel to dry them out a little bit. Press a second towel gently on top to help with moisture.
How do you make brownies from cake mix?
Craving a dense, chewy brownie but all you have is cake mix? Follow this simple recipe to make brownies from any flavor of cake mix:
- 1 box of cake mix (without pudding in the mix). You can really use any flavor you like here! Chocolate cake mix for chocolate brownies, lemon, white, yellow. The possibilities are as vast as your craving!
- 2 large eggs or 1 egg + 4 ounces cream cheese. Depending on the texture you want, use either 2 large eggs, or 1 egg plus 4 ounces of room temp cream cheese. The cream cheese will make for a more gooey brownie so it depends on the texture you want.
- ⅓ cup oil or melted butter (I prefer oil)
This formula can of course be adjusted to any flavoring or fillings like lemon extract or chocolate chips. Please note, this is a base recipe for cake mix brownies, and differs slightly from the recipe below for strawberry brownies.
How to Store strawberry brownies
Because of their soft and creamy texture, I store these in the refrigerator. They will last up to a week if you can keep from devouring them right away.
Thick, fudgy brownies meet bright strawberry frosting and silky chocolate ganache in these elegant Strawberry Brownies. Like a chocolate covered strawberry in bar form, this recipe is both decadent and fresh. Recipe includes a how-to video!
A Fruity Twist on the Fudgy Classic
Beautiful AND decadent, these strawberry brownies are a chocolatey, fruity dessert that you’re going to love. They’re fudgy, creamy, and bursting with real strawberry flavor, and while they may look complicated, they’re actually very easy to make.
This recipe uses my homemade brownies as a perfectly rich and sturdy chocolatey base. The bright strawberry topping (similar to my strawberry frosting) adds freshness and keeps them from being too rich, and the silky chocolate ganache topping adds elegance and, of course, a little more chocolate (is there ever enough?).
What you’ll love about these strawberry brownies:
- They take just over an hour to make, which is just a little bit longer than regular brownies.
- You can add extra chocolate chips for some texture, or leave them out!
- Serve them at room temperature or cold–they’re delicious either way.
- They would make the perfect treat for your sweetheart, if you’re looking for an alternative to chocolate covered strawberries.
What You Need
I carefully selected these ingredients for maximum chocolate and strawberry flavor. Here are a few of the key players:
- Freeze-dried strawberries. These pack all the flavor of fresh berries without any of the extra moisture (which could make the topping runny or curdled). They also create a stunning pink color that is much brighter than the pale color fresh strawberries would give.
- Brown sugar. I like to use a combination of granulated and brown sugar for extra flavorful, fudgy brownies.
- Extra egg yolk. This encourages your strawberry brownies to be moist and tender. Make sure you set your eggs out beforehand so they’re at room temperature when you add them.
- Semisweet chocolate. A combination of semisweet chocolate chips and cocoa powder makes for super chocolatey brownies. When it’s time to make the ganache, we’ll switch things up and use a high quality semisweet baking bar instead.
SAM’S TIP: Test your brownies for doneness with the toothpick test! Insert a toothpick in the center of the brownies; they’re done if comes out clean, or preferably with few moist, fudgy crumbs.
Remember, this is just an overview of the ingredients I used and why. For the full recipe please scroll down to the bottom of the post!
How to Make Strawberry Brownies
- Microwave chocolate chips and butter until melted, then stir in the cocoa powder.
- Add the sugars, eggs, vanilla, and salt and stir to combine.
- Stir in the flour and fold in the chocolate chips, if using.
- Spread the brownie batter into a parchment lined baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Pulverize the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor or with a rolling pin; set aside.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Add the salt and pulverized strawberries.
- Gradually stir in the heavy cream until the consistency is spreadable.
- Once the brownies have cooled completely, spread the strawberry frosting evenly over the top.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache, then pour it evenly over the strawberry brownies. Let the ganache firm up before slicing and serving.