How to make strawberry ice cream. Ice cream is a sensation all over the world. It is not necessary that you have to go to your favorite parlor and buy it. If you have an idea then you can make ice cream either by your own hands or by using an ice cream maker.
You’ve probably heard of strawberry ice cream, but have you ever wondered how you’re supposed to make it? Well, if you have, this article is for you. We’ll give you a step by step process on how to make your very own strawberry ice cream.
Easy, Eggless Strawberry Ice Cream
Use your ice cream maker to create this rich and creamy strawberry ice cream. There are no eggs in this recipe.
Additional:50 minsTotal:1 hrPrep:10 minsServings:8Yield:8 servings
Decrease Serving8Increase ServingAdjustOriginal recipe yields 8 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed fresh strawberries
- 2 drops red food coloring (Optional)
- Step 1In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, strawberries, and food coloring. Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
Strawberry ice cream
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:20 mins
- plus freezing
- Serves 8
Use sweet strawberries whilst they’re in season to make this fabulous homemade strawberry ice cream. It’s perfect on its own or as an accompaniment summer desserts
- 400g strawberries , stalks removed
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 600ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 150g white caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- STEP 1Put the strawberries in a food processor or blender. Whizz to a purée, then add the lemon juice to taste – if the strawberries are quite tart you’ll only need a little.
- STEP 2Warm the cream and milk in a pan until just steaming, not boiling. Whisk the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl for a minute or two until pale yellow. Slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the eggs, whisking as you do. Once fully incorporated, strain through a sieve back into the pan. Gently cook over a low-medium heat until it thickens slightly – it should coat the back of your spoon and leave a channel if you run your finger through it (this will happen at about 82-85C). Be careful not to overcook it as the eggs will scramble. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and cool for 10 mins, then chill for 1 hr.
- STEP 3Stir the strawberry purée and vanilla through the cold custard. Taste to see if it needs a little more lemon or vanilla.
- STEP 4Freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker, or container in the freezer. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze for 4 hrs, whisking vigorously or blending in a food processor every hour to remove any ice crystals. Will keep in the freezer for up to two months.
Strawberry Ice Cream
Homemade strawberry ice cream is so rich and creamy, with an amazing fresh strawberry taste. Its egg, and cook free, and so easy to make!
I don’t know if its the hot weather (its been in the upper 90s here for the last 2 weeks or so) or the fact that this coming sunday is national ice cream day, but whatever it is I want to eat ice cream pretty much every day all summer long.
This strawberry ice cream is the freshest of fresh. Its so creamy and has the perfect fresh strawberry flavor. You will use 2 cups of diced strawberries, pureed up in a blender to make the ice cream totally smooth. But if you want it a little chunkier, with pieces of strawberries throughout then you can just mash the strawberries with a potato masher, or forks instead.
The ice cream also needs, sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, a dash of vanilla extract and a dash of salt. That’s it. Only 6 ingredients and an ice cream maker later and you’ve got delicious strawberry ice cream. I often like custard based ice creams, with eggs being tempered in to the cooked heavy cream, but this is an eggless strawberry ice cream and you won’t miss it at all, its nice and creamy still, and so easy to throw it all together!
How to make Strawberry Ice Cream?
This is a plan ahead recipe because you need to put your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer at least 12 hours (or more according to your ice cream maker instructions).
When you’re ready to make the ice cream, you’ll mix your chopped strawberries with some of your sugar in a medium sized bowl. This helps the strawberries release some of their natural juices. Then you can blend that mixture up. Blend it as smooth as you want it, though you don’t want the pieces of strawberry to be too big, as they usually get a bit icy.
Then add your strawberries, heavy cream, milk, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar into a large bowl to mix them all together. Then pour that strawberry mixture into the ice cream maker. Run the ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions (mine just takes about 30 minutes).
If you want to eat it right away, it’ll be the consistency of soft serve right after its done in the ice cream maker. You can have homemade strawberry ice cream in only about 40 minutes! But I prefer to freeze it for a few hours (or overnight) in a bread pan or ice cream holder for a few hours (or overnight) and you’ve got nice scoopable ice cream, like I have pictured.
The strawberries give the ice cream the perfect light pink color. Its such a pretty pink, but if you want it really dark you’re welcome to add a couple drops of red food coloring to the mix as well.
How to store homemade strawberry ice cream?
You can keep any leftover ice cream in the container that you froze it in, I usually keep mine in a 9x5inch bread pan and cover it tightly with plastic wrap, then with foil.
It will stay good if kept in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use frozen strawberries? Yes, you can use frozen strawberries, you’ll want to let them thaw first, then chop them up if they’re very large before macerating them in the sugar.
- Do I need an ice cream maker? Yes, you need a 2QT ice cream machine to make this recipe. There are several ways to make ice cream with out a machine, so you can attempt one of those with the strawberry cream mixture, but I haven’t tested it out to know how it works.
- Can I use blueberries instead of strawberries? Yes, you should be able to use a variety of fruit, whatever your favorite is – different fruits may need a little more sugar depending on how sweet they already are. Some fruit flavors are also not as strong, but berries should be fine!
- How much ice cream does this make? This recipe makes about 6 to 7 cups of ice cream, or about 12 to 14 half cup servings.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
This Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is creamy, dreamy, and made with fresh strawberries. It’s an old fashioned strawberry ice cream recipe that makes it the perfect spring or summer dessert.
Make this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream from scratch this summer! It’s so creamy too!
I’m bringing you yet another ice cream recipe! And you know what? I don’t hate it.
Ice Cream gives me all the summer feels, and strawberry ice cream, in particular, reminds me of summer days spent at our family cabin in the mountains (their strawberry ice cream is superior to all other ice creams).
This homemade strawberry ice cream is about as good as it gets (unless you wanted to throw some Neapolitan Sheet Cake or Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes into the mix—cake is always a good idea). Plus, it’s totally the Molly Ringwald of the ice cream world since it’s so pretty in pink!
I mean, after that classic 80’s reference, how can you even resist this??
(Totally a rhetorical question.)
So, this strawberry ice cream.
This gloriously pink homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Ice Cream is made with an ice cream maker, but it is so worth the investment! I have used mine countless times and absolutely love it!
In fact, next to my standing mixer, my ice cream maker is my used kitchen tool. Seriously, there is nothing like homemade ice cream.
All right, so let’s talk about this recipe and just what makes it SO amazing.
Now, this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream recipe calls for just a few simple ingredients:
-heavy whipping cream
-half and half
And, it is seriously so simple to whip up! Plus, even though is an eggless strawberry ice cream, the mix of ingredients make for such a creamy strawberry ice cream recipe!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Tips & Tricks:
- Breaking down this simple strawberry ice cream recipe a bit, the first thing to do is to hull and chop your strawberries into small pieces. For me, I really do like bigger pieces of strawberries in my ice cream, so I do a rough chop on the berries. Depending upon your taste preferences, you can make them as big or small as you want.
- In a large bowl, mix the strawberries with the sugar, honey, and lemon juice, and allow the mixture to sit about 15-20 minutes. The sugars and acid from the lemon juice will release the strawberry juices, making them softer.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Tips & Tricks cont:
3. Once they have set, with a potato masher, fork, or pastry cutter, mash the strawberry mixture until there are no longer any big pieces throughout.
**(Doing this by hand will give you nice strawberry pieces. If you prefer a smoother strawberry ice cream, use a blender or food processor to puree them. I prefer real strawberry pieces throughout, but it tastes great both ways!)**
The Best Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe Tips & Tricks (I might be biased…)
4. Add heavy cream, half and half, and vanilla extract to the strawberry mixture. Pour into an ice cream maker and follow your manufacturer’s directions (mine took about 15-20 minutes).
5. Once churned, if you like it soft serve, go ahead and enjoy! But, if you prefer it a bit thicker, chill it for 3-4 hours in the freezer. Before serving, allow it to sit out 5-10 minutes or so to soften, making it easier to scoop.