Ever wanted to learn how to make strawberry shortcake but didn’t want to bake a cake, or even make the biscuit dough from scratch? I show you an easy way to cheat.
I love using nice and big biscuits to make strawberry shortcake, as you can really get a thick layer of fresh cream without being too rich. This recipe uses fresh strawberries in place of the canned ones often found in this dessert, but you’ll love the result.
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
This homemade strawberry shortcake recipe consists of a golden flaky biscuit piled high with macerated strawberries and sweetened whipped cream. This charming little treat is so simple to make, yet elegant to serve, which makes it a perfect finish to any meal.
With Mother’s Day coming up, the first thing that comes to my mind is classic strawberry shortcake. It’s perfectly suited for brunch or served with your afternoon tea. It’s also feminine and pretty, just like mom.
Why this recipe is so great:
- It’s incredibly easy to make. The biscuits are made in one bowl and then you just drop the batter by spoonfuls onto your baking sheet. There is no rolling or cutting the dough.
- The taste is vibrant and fresh. There is lemon zest added to the biscuits which brightens up the flavor of the pastry. The fresh strawberries are made sweeter and juicier by marinating them in sugar for 30 minutes. The sweetened whipped cream adds a cool and creamy touch to the overall dessert.
- It’s simple to assemble and beautiful to serve. You simply layer the biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream. It only takes seconds to assemble yet it’s so gorgeous to present and serve.
- Here are some reviews:
“These were SUPER good! I make Strawberry Shortcake a lot, but always with Bisquick. I ran out so I chose this recipe because it looked simple. Love it…and it is very simple. Will definitely make this from now on….thank you!” – Pam
“Perfection! The biscuit exterior was crispy and the inside soft and airy. It wasn’t overly sweet which made it the perfect canvas for the strawberries & cream. I’ve been struggling to find a good recipe that didn’t use a lot of butter, heavy cream or eggs and I’m so happy I came across this! Thank you, thank you!” – Julie
How To Make Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
- You start by tossing the flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Then cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk in the lemon zest and stir in the milk.
- Drop the batter into 8 equal mounds onto a lined baking sheet. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the sliced strawberries with sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Whip up some heavy cream, sugar, and a splash of vanilla, and there you have it! Everything you need to put together this easy, yet extraordinary treat!
- Use cold butter. Cold butter creates steam as it melts in a hot oven. The steam from the melting butter expands between the layers of dough. This creates pockets of air, yielding a soft and fluffy biscuit.
- Use salted butter to save the extra step of having to add salt to this recipe.
- Use cold milk to help keep the butter solid in the batter.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together quickly. As soon as you add the milk, the baking powder starts to activate, so stir the batter together gently but quickly and bake right away.
- Can you make strawberry shortcake in advance? You can, but not too much in advance. The biscuits can be made the day before. The strawberries and whipped cream can be prepared the day of. Under-whip the heavy cream slightly and give it a final quick whip just before serving.
- Can strawberry shortcake be frozen? Yes and no. The biscuits can be frozen for up to a month. Thaw and reheat in the oven to freshen up before you plan to serve. The strawberries and whipped cream should be prepared the day-of for best results.
AMAZING SHORTCAKE RECIPE
This is the best Homemade Strawberry Shortcake recipe you will ever try! One bite of these completely made-from-scratch flaky and sweet biscuits with strawberry shortcake whipped cream filling and you will fall in love. Every bite is heavenly!
BEST STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
I can still remember the first time I had a strawberry shortcake at The Cheesecake Factory many years ago. It was absolutely amazing and one of the most memorable desserts I had ever tried.
The Cheesecake Factory strawberry shortcake is a giant strawberry shortcake filled to the brim with whipped cream and fresh berries, and it instantly became one of my favorite strawberry desserts. I loved it so much, I ordered it as a meal a few times!
What sets our homemade strawberry shortcake biscuits aside from every other recipe is how they are made and our secret ingredient: yogurt!
These homemade biscuits are more like scones. They’re made with butter and yogurt, which makes this recipe for strawberry shortcake biscuits so soft and moist.
Well, these hold up so well to the strawberries, I have to say the shortcake is the BEST SHORTCAKE BISCUIT I HAVE EVER HAD/MADE‼️ It has a very nice flavor on its own too. I will ALWAYS make it in the future!!! 😀
SHORTCAKE BISCUITS RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- butter cold
- yogurt plain
- pure vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar or more granulated sugar for sprinkling the top of shortcakes
HOMEMADE SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS
- granulated sugar
HOW TO MAKE SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cube cold butter and add to the flour mixture. Toss to coat all the butter pieces with flour, and rub the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t melt.
- Mix egg, plain yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Beat to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the liquid to it. Mix with a spatula until a wet dough is formed.
- Use a 2 oz. ice cream scoop to portion the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. This will give you 8 shortcakes. Sprinkle the top with plenty of turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 17 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer shortcakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
HOW TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE FILLING
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and dice the berries into bite-size pieces.
- Toss with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Take a wooden spoon and press lightly until you have slightly crushed strawberries. This way the flavor of the strawberries bursts in your mouth when you take a bite.
- Refrigerate until ready to use or at least an hour before serving.
You can also add some strawberry sauce on top. Trust me, it is amazing!
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPES TIPS
- The best way to divide the batter for your shortcake biscuit recipe is with an ice cream scoop. I love my ice cream scoop. It’s perfect for portioning the dough!
- If you don’t have a pastry cutter, don’t run out and buy one! I always use my hands to mix in the butter. I find it quick and effective and actually prefer it over using a pastry cutter!
- Only work with the tips of your fingers and work quickly to avoid melting the butter. Cold butter is key when making biscuits of any kind.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be very wet. To keep the biscuits soft and moist, avoid adding more flour!
- This tip comes from one of our readers and it is an amazing one!
I used frozen butter and ran it thru my salad shooter. Worked like a charm and made it so easy. Great biscuits! Will be making them again.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
- Chill a mixing bowl and whisk attachment of your mixer in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes ahead of time. You can do this while the strawberries are soaking up the sugar.
- Add heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract to the chill mixing bowl, then mix on medium-high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
Follow the step-by-step instructions on how to make whipped cream.
Homemade whipped cream is the best to top any biscuit for a strawberry shortcake! But if you’re short on time, store-bought whipped cream works in a pinch.
Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake
- Prep – 20 Min
- Total – 35 Min
- Servings – 6
Ready to Make?
Hundreds of home cooks have made these strawberry shortcake biscuits a top-rated recipe, and for good reason. Using Original Bisquick™ mix ensures a perfect result every time. Light, fluffy Bisquick shortcakes are a perfect complement to sweetened berries and freshly whipped cream.
- 1quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced
- 1/4cup sugar
- 2 1/3cups Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1/2cup milk
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 3tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- 2In medium bowl, stir Bisquick™ mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
- 3Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- 4Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Tips from the Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1This recipe uses Bisquick™ for an easy, flaky shortcake shortcut that doesn’t skimp on taste. If you’re looking for an all-scratch recipe for a shortcake try our Strawberry Shortcake.
- tip 2A “short” cake is one that has a high ratio of butter to flour and sugar. Stir the dough just until the dry ingredients are moistened and a soft dough forms. The shortcakes shouldn’t stick to the pan, but you can use baking parchment or a silicone baking mat if you’d like.
- tip 3Mixing sugar with the fruit, whether you stick with all-time summery favorite strawberries or play with juicy peaches and blueberries or raspberries and plum wedges, is a process called “macerating”. Macerating is similar to marinating, but it’s done with fruit—sometime… More +
- tip 4The first step in making a successful whipped cream is to refrigerate the bowl (a deep metal one works best) with the cream + the mixer beaters (unless you’re a hearty soul and would like to use a large wire balloon whisk). The colder the cream the faster it will whip u… More +
- tip 5Flavor the fruit or cream 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1 to 2 teaspoons orange liquor. When whipping the cream, be sure to add liquid when it starts to form soft peaks or the cream might be too loose.
Super Easy Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
These strawberry shortcake biscuits have been in my husband’s family for over 40 years. It is the best sweet biscuit to have under your strawberry and cream dessert. Delicious right out of the oven slathered with butter. They are also very good on their own with peanut butter.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 30 mins
Yield: 12 biscuits
Original recipe yields 12 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Step 2Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Cut in shortening and mix to combine.
- Step 3Beat eggs in a separate bowl and mix in milk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Pour batter evenly into each of the prepared muffin cups and transfer to the oven as quickly as possible.
- Step 4Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
BISCUITS FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
Homemade lightly sweet biscuits for strawberry shortcake that are easy to make with a little flour and butter, all you need to add are sweetened strawberries and whipped cream!
SWEET STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
This sweet biscuit strawberry shortcake is summertime perfection! The addition of an egg makes the biscuit a bit more dense/sturdy than other drop biscuits. The sparkling sugar on top is optional, but makes this shortcake beautiful and extra-tasty.
CAN THE BISCUITS AND CAKE BE MADE AHEAD?
I like to make the biscuits the day of serving. The cake can be made a day in advance and kept covered.
CAN I DOUBLE THIS RECIPE?
I had great luck doubling the cake recipe and placing it in a sheet pan. I baked it for about 15 minutes and then added a layer of strawberries, a layer of whipped cream, and then more strawberries. I took it like this to a big family party and sliced it there. It was a great and easy way to make strawberry shortcake for a crowd.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT SUGAR ON A STRAWBERRY?
I like to add a tablespoon or two of sugar to my cut strawberries and let them sit while I make the shortcake. This gives the strawberries some time to release their juices and makes a nice syrup to drizzle on top of the shortcakes. So good.
HOW DO I MAKE WHIPPED CREAM?
To make whipped cream, I simply add 1-2 cups of heavy whipping cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla to the bowl of my stand mixer and beat until soft peaks form. SO much better than anything pre-made from the store. Very worth the 5 minutes of prep, if you ask me.
sweet biscuit strawberry shortcake
If you like strawberry shortcake with a sweet biscuit-like shortcake, this recipe is for you!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons sprinkling sugar, optional
- 1-2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, and sweetened to your liking
- 2-4 cups freshly whipped cream (sweetened if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the butter and use a pastry blender, two knives, a fork, or your hands to cut the butter into the flour, until it resembles small crumbs with pieces of butter no larger than a pea.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla and stir just until the mixture comes together.
- Using a large spoon, place a mound of dough on the baking sheet. You should use about ½ cup of dough for each biscuit. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle dough with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until the shortcakes are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, split the shortcake in half, add strawberries and whipped cream, and then top with the second half of the biscuit. Enjoy right away. Store leftover shortcakes at room temperature, separate from the berries and whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dess