How to take cinnamon for weight loss is an important question now days as this spice is used in most cooking. Cinnamon is a traditional herbal remedy used to help with the reduction of body fat levels. It has long been used as one of the most popular health and weight loss boosting supplements in many ancient cultures.
Why combine cinnamon with a diet?
It is a hot and seductive spice to be used very easily if you appreciate its flavour. We find it from the starter to the dessert (of course), through the drinks. Whatever its use, it is ideal for keeping the figure.
Its special flavour comes from cinnamic aldehyde which represents 90% of the components of Ceylon cinnamon.
This substance is the best antioxidant there is. There are as many antioxidants in a teaspoon of cinnamon as in a cup of pomegranate or blueberry juice.
Let’s see in detail these benefits that will act on the weight.
Its warming virtues:
Cinnamon, whether it is the bark, cinnamon berries or cinnamon leaves, has warming properties. Indeed, a chemical reaction is created in the body, which naturally raises the body’s heat.
The body’s thermostat ensures that the internal temperature is always the same, the body’s metabolism then speeds up to fight against the excess heat so that the temperature is balanced. This process is carried out by directly burning calories
It is therefore the thermogenic response which causes the acceleration of the metabolism, which causes the action to burn fat.
Its action on blood sugar:
Cinnamon also has a direct effect on blood sugar and cholesterol, earning it the name poor man’s insulin in Asia. Indeed, many experts claim that the spice is effective for people with type 2 diabetes, by increasing the insulin sensitivity of patients.
For the record, the first to have detected this in the West is Dr Richard A. Anderson. It was by mistake, studying the chromium in food, that he noticed that apple pie stimulated insulin activity, which made no sense. After researching, he found that it was the cinnamon in the pie that had this effect.
According to the latest studies by Professor Anderson, methylhydroxychalcone polymers (MHCP), the most active compound in cinnamon, increases glucose metabolism up to 20 times, a process that converts sugar into energy. This, therefore, has a direct effect on calories and fat, and therefore a direct slimming effect.
Besides, by improving, insulin sensitivity has a beneficial effect on patients with obesity. By the way, increasing insulin sensitivity decreases the risk of cardiovascular disease, the onset of arthritis, certain forms of cancer and neurodegenerative disease like Alzheimer’s.
MHCP is also an excellent antioxidant which helps prevent the formation of free radicals, which damage DNA and can lead to chronic diseases, such as diabetes.
An Anderson study was done in patients with diabetes, eating as usual and taking their diabetes medication (but not metformin). These patients consumed doses of cinnamon daily. After 40 days, he noticed drops in blood sugar levels from 18 to 29%, triglycerides from 23 to 30%, and cholesterol from 13 to 26%, including bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) from 10 to 24%.
Its digestive virtues:
Finally, let’s mention the digestive virtues of cinnamon. Indeed, it stimulates the digestive system, making it more efficient, which also acts directly against weight gain.
Its appetite suppressant action:
A craving, a desire to snack, jump on the cinnamon! Its appetite suppressant action is very effective, especially in case of sugar craving.
Many scientific studies have highlighted this effect. Among them, a study measured the speed taken by the stomach to empty itself of 300 g of pudding. The stomachs of patients who consumed cinnamon took more than 35% longer to empty: impressive!
Besides, its sweet flavour allows you to halve the sugar in a preparation.
What variety of cinnamon to choose for weight loss?
As I explain in our cinnamon page, there are two varieties of it, which come from the bark of two very similar but different tree species:
•Cinnamomum verum, known as Ceylon cinnamon, also known as real cinnamon,
•Cinnamomum aromatic or Cinnamomum cassia, called cinnamon from Indonesia or China, also called false cinnamon.
Let’s be clear: when it comes to losing weight and lowering blood sugar, variety doesn’t matter, they have the same effect. That said, for long term use, we still recommend Ceylon cinnamon.
Indeed, their health benefits are the same, with one exception that makes all the difference: coumarin. It is the coumarin concentration that differs in the two species.
Ceylon cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum Verum) hardly contains any, but on the other hand, Chinese cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum cassia) is rich in it.
Except that coumarin is potentially toxic to the liver because it has hepatotoxic properties. So for long term consumption, prefer Ceylon cinnamon.
FOUR METHODS TO CONSUME CINNAMON
- Cinnamon Powder – 1.2 tsp. Per Day (6g/0.2oz). The easiest way to take. A maximum of 2.2 tsp. of Cinnamon powder per day for 5 days, followed by 2 days of rest. Our Ceylon Cinnamon powder is a premium quality powder with a minimum amount of essential oil content in it. Remember you should mix Cinnamon powder in food. Just swallowing it is corrosive on your stomach. Mix it in smoothies, brew it into a powder tea, add it to soups and stews.
- Cinnamon Sticks – 1 three inch Stick Per Day (6g/0.2 oz) – The best way is to boil it into a Cinnamon stick Tea. That method will ensure good levels of cinnamon as the brewing process with extract all that is good in Cinnamon, especially the essential oils. You can incorporate Cinnamon in other recipes too. Keep it to one Cinnamon stick per day. Each of Cinnamon sticks weigh about 5g which is within the daily limit.
- Ceylon Cinnamon Black Tea – 1 Cup Per Day (8-12oz of liquid). This is our favorite method to take cinnamon infused in black tea. About 1 cup per day (1 tea bag in 8-12 oz of water) with rest on the weekend should do it. It combines all the benefits of black tea with cinnamon in a fabulous tasting Tea. Our Ceylon Cinnamon Tea is infused with Cinnamon Bark Oil, which has cinnamaldehyde. About 1 cup of Cinnamon Black Tea in the morning is perfect. Occasionally you can have an additional cup per day. It’s not going to kill you, but rest from Cinnamon on the weekend. Try some brewed fresh ginger tea on the weekend.
- Ceylon Cinnamon Bark Oil – 1-3 drops Per Day. If you want the purest of Cinnamon distilled into an oil with high levels of cinnamaldehyde, then this is what you take. Start with just one drop mixed in 8 oz. of hot water, tea and brewed ginger. Then increase to 2 drops and then 3 drops only if necessary. At just 1 drop it adds a lovely flavor. Anything more depends on your personal needs. This oil is very powerful, hot, spicy and a little sweet. Too much and your blood sugar levels may drop leaving you light headed and weak.
BEST PRACTICES FOR TAKING CINNAMON
- Select Ceylon Cinnamon – This is because Ceylon Cinnamon has ultra low (0.04%) coumarin levels compared to the common Cassia Cinnamon (4-8%). Ceylon Cinnamon is particularly popular because it has low levels of Coumarin. compared to Cassia Cinnamon found in your grocery store. Excess Coumarin can cause liver damage.
- Modulate the dosage – According to the US Department of health, Cinnamon appears to be safe for most people when taken by mouth in amounts up to 6 grams (1.2 tsp.) daily for 6 weeks or less with a week of rest after six weeks. We prefer and suggest you take Ceylon Cinnamon 5 days per a week with a rest on the weekends. This method offers a better routine we feel.The reason why you need to change things up is because of toxicity. If you take anything for too long, yes even Ceylon Cinnamon will build up toxicity in your system. You need to purge that natural toxic build up from time to time. Variety they say is the spice of life.
- Vary the intake method – Taking Cinnamon everyday can be boring, which is why you need to devise some creative ways to incorporate it into your diet.Here are a few simple ways to that. Make a Te De Canela – This traditional Mexican drink made with Ceylon Cinnamon is World famous. It’s sweet ( zero sugar) and very refreshing. Make Cinnamon Orange Water – Boil some Cinnamon sticks, let it cool and add a slice of orange and take it in your water bottle to work or the gym. Add a Ceylon Cinnamon stick when you cook rice. Gives a beautiful fragrant flavor and aroma. Try our amazing Cinnamon fried rice recipe with both Ceylon Cinnamon and Turmeric. A stick of Ceylon Cinnamon added to Asian curries or stews adds warmth and depth to the dish. But there are also amazing Cinnamon vegetarian dishes from Sri Lanka which adds variety.
Cinnamon and Clove for weight loss
Clove is an ancient medicine that was primarily used to control tooth ache. Having said that there are truckloads of other benefits that Clove has to offer.
In Ayurveda, clove is prescribed to cure disrupted inner linings of GI tract. Moreover Cloves reduces inflammation and fights free radicals too.
We all know that Obesity or being overweight is mostly due to inflamed fat cells in the body.
Consuming Cinnamon and Cloves for weight loss is the perfect option for those looking to lose weight naturally without any drugs.
Preparing Cinnamon and clove water is just as easy as boiling a glass of water. To make this drink all you need is a glass of water, small cinnamon stick and 2 cloves.
This is how you make cinnamon and clove water.
Step 1: Take half inch Cinnamon and two cloves
Step 2: Take a glass of water and add it to a pan.
Step 3: Boil Cloves and Cinnamon stick until the water turns brown.
Step 4: Let it cool until its Luke warm and have it twice a day.
Additionally you can also use Cinnamon Powder instead of stick, this is how you do it.
Step 1: Take Half Teaspoon cinnamon powder
Step 2: Take a Glass of water
Step 3: Take two cloves
Step 4: Boil the water with Cloves in it, do not add cinnamon powder now.
Step 5: Moment the water turns brown let the water cool down.
Step 6: Add half teaspoon Cinnamon powder mix it well and have it.
Cinnamon and Cardamom for losing weight
This is similar to what I have mentioned above, instead of cloves you can add cardamom.
If you have noticed, I have mentioned all the combination that is directly or indirectly related to your digestive system therefore Cardamom is not a surprise.
Cardamom Seeds and whole cardamom is actually an ayurvedic medicine for weight loss when used in right dosage.
Cardamom is primarily prescribed to cure digestive issues such heartburn, Fatty liver, Stomach pain, gastrointestinal disorders and gallbladder problems.
While working on this cure what cardamom also does is enhancement of body’s fat assimilation capacity. This fat assimilation happens automatically when other digestive disorders are fixed.
Being Obese is not a natural phenomenon, it occurs due to underlying cause such as poor digestive system, poor metabolism, Thyroid, Diabetes, High blood pressure and many other factors.
When we fix the underlying cause by way of natural medicine such as cardamom and cinnamon weight loss just becomes a byproduct of it.
This is not a negative byproduct but a positive one as the weight attained after fixing the underlying cause is almost permanent and sustainable unless you start or pick up any bad habits such as smoking or alcohol consumption or too much oily food.
To make Cinnamon and Cardamom water for weight loss follow the below steps:
Step 1: Take a glass of water and put it in a pan
Step 2: Remove the Cardamom seeds and put it in the pan.
Step 3: Add half inch cinnamon stick
Step 4: Boil the water until its mild brown.
Step 5: Let it cool down, Have it twice a day.
Also you need to keep one thing in mind that you should not try all the 16 combination at once. Instead try to use these combinations one day at a time.
You can also use Cinnamon powder instead of Whole stick cinnamon if you prefer.
The trick would remain the same i.e. Boil the water only with Cardamom seeds and let the water cool down, once the water is Luke warm add Cinnamon powder, mix it well and have it.
Cinnamon and fenugreek for weight loss
Fenugreek Seeds are excellent for treating Diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure. It becomes potent weight loss drink combined with Cinnamon water or powder.
There are two ways you can make this combination.
1.) Overnight soaking
- Take two spoonful of fenugreek seeds and mix it with half a glass of water and let it soak overnight.
- In the morning take half a glass of water and half inch cinnamon stick and boil the water until its mild brown.
- Cool down the mixture and mix it with Fenugreek water, consume it on empty stomach.
- After an hour consume the fenugreek seeds by chewing it.
- Don’t eat anything for next 1 hour, it’s OK to go for low fat breakfast after an hour.
2.) Boiling Fenugreek Seeds
- Take a glass of water.
- Put 2 tea spoonful of Fenugreek seeds
- Boil the water until it changes the color
- Let it cool down, strain and extract the water
- Mix Cinnamon powder with Fenugreek water and have it empty stomach.
- After 30 minutes chew the fenugreek seeds and don’t eat anything for next one hour.
I recommend the overnight soaking method as it works amazingly fast and it’s highly effective.
Cinnamon and turmeric for weight loss
We all know the amazing benefits of turmeric and its anti-cancer properties. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory medicine in Ayurveda and is a powerful weight loss remedy.
Turmeric combined with Cinnamon will not only correct the metabolic disorder but also boost the fat burning process by correcting your Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
This is how you can make this simple drink for weight loss.
Step 1: Take a glass of water, add some turmeric powder and boil it for 3 – 4 minutes.
Step 2: Strain the water and Mix half tea spoon cinnamon powder and have it twice a day.
The other method to make Turmeric cinnamon weight loss drink is by boiling Cinnamon stick for a min and then adding turmeric powder.
Boil it for next 5 – 6 minutes, let the water cool down and have it twice a day.
Cinnamon mixed with Apple cider vinegar for weight loss
Using Cinnamon and Apple cider vinegar for weight loss is an age old technique.
Apple cider vinegar alone is hugely popular for its weight loss benefits. When Cinnamon powder or water mixes with ACV, it becomes a typical weight loss medicine.
The reason this combination makes in my list is because Apple cider vinegar is hugely capable of flushing toxins out of liver and blood stream, while Cinnamon water or powder rejuvenates the cells with its high levels of antioxidants.
Simple way to make cinnamon and apple cider vinegar drink is outlined below:
- Take a glass of water.
- Half inch cinnamon stick.
- Boil the Cinnamon Stick until its mild brown.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Mix One teaspoon Apple cider vinegar, have it empty stomach every morning.
- Additionally you can also add honey to it, avoid if you are diabetic.
Alternatively you can also use Cinnamon powder to make this drink. It’s even simpler to make this.
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Mix half teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- Add one teaspoon Apple cider vinegar.
- Add honey if you want and have it.
I personally recommend boiling cinnamon stick method.
Use any one of the methods mentioned above, don’t try to implement both at once. As the idea is to benefit from ideal dosage and not to overdose yourself.
Cinnamon and Ajwain for weight loss
Ajwain in English is also known as carom seeds.
In India Ajwain is being used since ancient times for curing gastrointestinal disorders, diabetes and other metabolic disorders.
Ayurvedic doctors frequently prescribe Ajwain for treating stomach related ailments like.
- Fatty Liver.
- Reducing cholesterol.
- Curing Acidity.
- Correcting appetite.
- Speeding up the digestion.
- Treating diabetes.
While Ajwain is good in many ways, when Ajwain water is mixed with Cinnamon water or Powder it acts as Ayurvedic weight loss medicine. Below is how you can prepare this amazing weight loss drink.
- Take a glass of water.
- Take a teaspoon full of Ajwain seeds.
- Boil the water until the water turns golden.
- Let it cool down
- Mix half tea spoon cinnamon powder, mix it well
- Strain and accumulate water.
- Have it before bed.
Alternate method to make this drink is by boiling both Cinnamon stick and Ajwain seeds together.
It’s recommended to take this mixture at least 3 times a week before bed especially when you eat heavy or high calorie dinner.