This Ina Garten apple crumb cake is the best! You can easily make it in a 9-inch pie plate. The apples are soft and tender and the topping has the perfect balance of sweet and cinnamon. This is great served warm with ice cream or whipped cream! Ina Garten’s recipes are pretty easy to follow, but it’s her desserts that really get me. Ina Garten’s Apple Crumb Cake is a great example. It looks absolutely delicious and has been pinned over 2,000 times on Pinterest!
INA GARTEN APPLE CRISP
The ideal Fall dessert is our Ina Garten Apple Crisp, which is also simple to make. This apple crisp recipe is the best you will ever make because of the mouthwatering, buttery streusel topping and cinnamon-baked apples.
My family loves Ina Garten’s old fashioned apple crisp recipe. We make this version, inspired by hers, over and over! It’s so easy and full of scrumptious apple cinnamon flavor.
You can always smell the aroma of apples and pumpkin coming from my kitchen during the Fall. Our house always has this dish and Starbucks Pumpkin Bread throughout this season!
BEST APPLE CRISP EVER
Pop this easy apple crisp in the oven, and your entire house will smell amazing. You will have the neighbors begging to come over!
- It’s simple: Apples should be peeled and chopped before making the streusel topping and combining everything in a baking dish for baking. It’s really simple!
- It’s outrageously delicious:
- It transforms into a culinary marvel when you serve it with ice cream and butterscotch sauce.
- This traditional apple crisp has a lively, sparkling flavor that is enhanced by the addition of orange and lemon zest. It’s different from anything we’ve ever had before, and we thought it was a great difference!
- Ina Garten’s Apple Crisp is a simple recipe that you can prepare in advance for brunch and dessert during the holidays.
This is truly the easiest dessert. There’s just something about the buttery, bubbling, syrupy baked cinnamon apples that takes this recipe over the top!
WHAT IS APPLE CRISP?
It is a delicious dessert consisting of freshly baked cinnamon apples with a buttery streusel topping. It is similar to an apple crisp pie but not quite as deep and, of course, there is no pie crust.
Crisps can be made with different types of fruits. In the Fall, we love using apples, but you could also try a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, or mix it up with our Peach Cobbler with Cake Mix or Pumpkin Crunch Recipe!
We love Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa. She is one of our cooking idols and inspires many of our recipes.
Naturally, we couldn’t wait to try her take on this dish. It’s a classic Ina Garten recipe: rustic, yet classy at the same time. And, of course, it’s totally mouthwatering!
Our homemade apple crisp will quickly become one of your favorite easy dessert recipes with few ingredients! It’s one of the easiest recipes with apples you can make.
APPLE CRISP WITHOUT OATS
Some individuals prefer an oat-free apple crisp recipe. If you simply omit the oats from this recipe, the toasted sugar topping will still taste great.
We suggest giving it a try if you’ve never tasted it with oats! Oats give the dish a wonderful crunch.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES TO USE?
The key to any fall apple dessert (like this recipe or our Best Deep Dish Apple Pie) is the apples themselves.
According to us, Gala, Macoun, or McIntosh apples make the best apple crisp.
⭐ FAMILY FOODIE TIPS
- Want to consume less sugar and butter? Both amounts can be trimmed in half and still yield a delectable apple dessert.
- To help the crumble stick a little bit better while I work on the crumb topping, I like to use my hands.
- This, in my opinion, yields the best crumb topping.
- Always use the dish’s liquid at the bottom as a garnish.
- It is a wonderful accompaniment to ice cream.
- Count on me for this!
- Before putting it in the mixer, make sure you dice the butter.
- If you add butter whole, you will end up with a huge mess.
Every oven is a bit different. Make sure to check your crisp a little before the stated time to make sure it doesn’t get overdone.
🍴 HOW TO SERVE
Serving this dessert when it’s still warm is advised. Much while I believe it to be wonderful on its own, adding ice cream or whipped cream makes it even better!
If you really want to blow everyone’s mind, add some butterscotch sauce or salted caramel sauce. But honestly, using the juice from the apples at the bottom of the dish is our favorite way to serve it.
🥫 HOW TO STORE
It should be kept in the refrigerator. If you still have any, that is! All you need to do is cover the dish with a paper towel to absorb any moisture the refrigerator might produce.
When you’re ready to eat, you can reheat in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 300°F.
It’s going to taste just as good as the day you cooked it!
1 stick plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Brown Sugar Glaze:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons waterAdd to Shopping List
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use 2 tablespoons of the butter to lightly coat a glass baking dish that measures 13 by 9 inches.
- The remaining stick of butter and sugar should be creamed till light and fluffy in a big basin. Beat after each addition of the egg as you add it, one at a time. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a different bowl or on a piece of parchment paper. Alternate between adding and adding the sour cream and vanilla to the wet ingredients. Apples are folded in. Spread to the edges and pour into the baking dish that has been prepared.
- To prepare the topping, put the butter, sugar, cinnamon, flour, and flour in a bowl and stir until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Remove from the oven, then cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, mix the sugar, water, and vanilla in a bowl until combined and smooth. Apply the glaze to the cake and allow to slightly solidify. Serve hot.