Iodine is required for the production of thyroid hormones. Iodine deficiency results in hypothyroidism and is a large public health problem in many countries around the world. Low iodine levels are often caused by dietary factors due to the omission of iodized salt and other food products during preparation. This article explores the best iodine on Amazon, helping you make an informed decision before placing your order.
✓ Best choice
Reviewing products is a great way of finding great products. However, it’s not possible to trust reviews. Verified reviews will help you find out how companies treat customers. You can save time and money by reading reviews. Reviews give you an honest opinion of products and companies before you spend your hard-earned money.
This page reviews the Best Iodine Supplements in 2022.
Iodine Supplement | Iodine Drops | USDA Organic Iodine Liquid Supplement | Nascent Iodine | Vegan | Non-GMO | Gluten Free | 1 Fl Oz
- Liquid Iodine: The body doesn’t naturally produce iodine, so it is an essential part of any diet. At particular risk for iodine deficiency are those on a vegan or vegetarian diet, or those pregnant and nursing. It is crucial during pregnancy, when the body requires greater amounts of iodine to support the developing fetus.
- Multiple Benefits: Iodine deficiencies can lead to feeling fatigued and weak, dry and brittle hair, skin, and nails, and weight gain. Iodine is especially important for thyroid health, which regulates hormone production, which in turn plays an important role in metabolism, stimulating the immune system and moderating the central nervous system. Support your body with this essential micronutrient!
- Vegan Formula: 250 mcg Iodine (as Potassium Iodide). Other Ingredients: Organic Vegetable Glycerin and Purified Water. The suggested serving of our Iodine Liquid Drops contains more than the recommended daily value for adults, except for those lactating. An individual’s iodine needs are impacted by diet. Consult with a healthcare professional to determine if supplementing iodine intake is the right choice for you!
- Easy-to-Take Liquid Drops: No more hard-to-swallow pills or capsules! Shake well before use. Adults take 1-2 drops daily or as recommended by a physician or healthcare professional. Take by mouth or add to water or juice. This bottle will last you: a little goes a long way! Each bottle comes with 450 servings.
- Free of Common Allergens: Iodine Liquid Drops by MaryRuth’s is Free of the 8 Major Allergens. Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Gluten & Wheat Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, Nightshade Free. No Added Sugar, No Artificial Colors. Made in a GMP Facility.
Raw Whole Food Iodine from Organic Kelp (Ascophyllum Nodosum) by Peak Performance. Thyroid Support Supplement. Great Metabolism Booster, Energy and Immune Boost – 60 Vegan Capsules
- Most Iodine supplements use weak formulas with synthetic vitamins as well as fillers. Peak Performace offers one of the most potent sources of iodine from Raw Organic Kelp.*
- Potency & Maximum Absorption – Raw whole food is better digested and assimilated into the body. Great for Thyroid Support, Hormonal Balance, Immune Support and Increased Energy Levels.*
- Vegan Formulated – Free of Gluten, GMOs, Additives, Preservatives, Artificial Colors, Soy, and Dairy. Manufactured Under The Highest Quality GMP Regulations and USA Standards.
- Important – Most Supplements Sold Online Are Not 3rd Party Tested! This is a dirty secret that many supplement sellers don’t want you to know that their products are NOT independently 3rd party tested outside of their own facilities. Why? Because it’s an extra out of pocket expense to conduct 3rd party testing and most companies will not sacrifice their profit.
- Over 400,000 Happy Customers + 1-for-1 Donation To Vitamin Angels. Peak Performance is celebrating over 400,000 happy customers and we are also very proud of our 1-for-1 donation match program. For every unit you purchase, through our partnership with the nonprofit Vitamin Angels, we will supply a child at risk of malnutrition with vitamins for 1 year! To date, we’ve supplied over 1 Million children with life changing Vitamins- So thank you for helping us continue this great cause!
NOW Supplements, Kelp 325 mcg of Natural Iodine, Supports Healthy Thyroid Function*, Super Green, 250 Veg Capsules
- SUPER GREENS/325 mcg OF NATURAL IODINE: NOW Kelp delivers the natural nutrient profile found in Genuine Whole Foods. Take 1 capsule daily with a meal.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY THYROID FUNCTION*: Kelp is an excellent source of iodine, which has been shown to be essential for healthy thyroid function.*
- CLASSIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS: Non-GMO, Kosher, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Vegan/Vegetarian
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Optimox Iodoral 12.5 mg – Original High Potency Lugol Solution Iodine Nutritional Supplement – Energy and Thyroid Support – 90 Tablets
- Iodine supplement in amount comparable to average daily intake by mainland Japanese; thyroid support.
- This iodine supplement with potassium iodide supports normal, healthy thyroid function, energy levels
- Free of wheat and gluten, corn, soy, yeast, dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish and peanuts.
- Many sensitive individuals who typically react to nutritional supplements are able to tolerate Optimox products.
- Established in 1978 by Guy Abraham, MD, Optimox brought clinical research to evidence-based nutritional formulas.
Dr. Berg’s Sea Kelp Enhanced – Pure Healthy Thyroid Support Natural Antioxidants & Iodine Supplement w/ Organic Sea Kelp, Blue-Green Algae & Red Algae – Immune System & Metabolism Support 90 Capsules
If you’re looking for a basic, high quality iodine supplement, look no further, as these are among the best on the market.
Pure Encapsulations Iodine
Each of Pure Encapsulations’ iodine capsules provides 225 mcg of iodine, or 150% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI), in a highly absorbable form called potassium iodide.
When it comes to quality, Pure Encapsulations is an industry leader. All of their raw materials and finished products are third-party tested for purity and potency, so you can rest assured you’re always getting what you have paid for.
These capsules are vegan and free of most major allergens, including gluten, wheat, egg, nuts, and artificial colors and sweeteners.
Thorne Iodine and Tyrosine
Thorne is a reputable brand known for producing a variety of high quality, allergy-friendly nutritional supplements.
Its iodine supplement is designed to support thyroid health using a combination of 225 mcg of potassium iodide, or 150% of the RDI, and 500 mg of tyrosine — an amino acid your body uses to produce thyroid hormones
This supplement is free of sugar, artificial sweeteners, and major allergens like gluten, wheat, tree nuts, dairy, and soy.
All of Thorne’s nutritional supplements are tested for purity and potency, and their manufacturing facilities are certified by multiple regulatory agencies, including NSF International and the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
Standard Process Prolamine Iodine
Standard Process’ Prolamine Iodine supplement provides 600 mcg of iodine, or 400% of the RDI, and 30mg of calcium in each capsule.
The iodine comes from a combination of kelp and Standard Process’ proprietary potassium iodide and cornmeal whole food complex. It’s vegan and gluten-free.
Standard Process prides itself on its high manufacturing standards. Each of their supplements is tested for purity and potency an average of six times before it’s sent to market.
Keep in mind that this supplement contains about 2% of the RDI of calcium. This is not harmful for most people, but if you’re already taking a calcium supplement, you may be at a slight risk of consuming too much.
Calcium supplements may also interfere with the absorption of certain prescription thyroid medications if they’re consumed at the same time.
Thus, you should consult your healthcare provider before adding it to your routine.
Some people may benefit from supplementing with high doses of iodine short term, and these are some great options to choose from.
Keep in mind that you should not attempt to take exceptionally high doses of iodine without guidance from a qualified healthcare provider.
Life Extension Sea-Iodine
Each of Life Extension’s Sea-Iodine capsules provides 1,000 mcg of iodine, or 667% of the RDI, sourced from a combination of kelp and potassium iodide.
All of Life Extension’s ingredients are meticulously studied, and their final products are manufactured in facilities certified by NSF International, so you know you’re always getting a high quality supplement.
For the sake of transparency, Life Extension also provides you a certificate of analysis for every batch of supplements they produce, so you can see exactly what’s in the product you’ve purchased.
Swanson Triple Iodine Complex
Swanson’s Triple Iodine Complex supplement provides a high dose of 12,500 mcg of iodine, or 8,333% of the RDI, in the form of potassium iodide, sodium iodide, and kelp-derived iodine.
All of Swanson’s supplements are tested for purity and potency in-house, as well as by third-party laboratories. What’s more, all of their manufacturing facilities are certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Designs for Health Iodine Synergy
Designs for Health’s Iodine Synergy supplement contains 10,000 mcg of iodine, or 6,670% of the RDI, in the form of potassium iodide, plus 40 mcg of selenium, a nutrient that functions as an antioxidant and aids thyroid hormone metabolism
It’s vegetarian-friendly and free of most major allergens, including dairy, soy, and gluten. It also comes in a glass bottle for easy recycling.
Designs for Health is a reputable brand that maintains stringent quality standards during each step of the manufacturing process. All products are tested for purity, potency, and safety, and all of their production facilities are FDA certified.
Seaweed is one of the richest natural, plant-based sources of iodine.
If you prefer taking supplements sourced from whole food ingredients, you may want to try one of these options, which are made exclusively with iodine from a type of seaweed known as kelp.
Peak Performance Whole Food Kelp Iodine
Peak Performance’s iodine supplement provides 150 mcg of iodine, or 100% of the RDI, sourced exclusively from organic kelp.
Its vegan-friendly and free of most major allergens, including tree nuts, fish, shellfish, eggs, wheat, and gluten.
No additives, fillers, or sweeteners are added to the supplement, and all of this company’s products are third-party tested for purity, though the name of the testing company is not disclosed for proprietary reasons.
NOW is a popular supplement brand that boasts an affordable price point without compromising quality.
Its vegan-friendly kelp supplement contains 150 mcg of iodine, or 100% of the RDI, sourced exclusively from whole organic kelp.
All of NOW’s manufacturing facilities are FDA approved, and all of its supplement ingredients undergo rigorous testing for purity and potency.
Iodine is a very important nutrient for sustaining a healthy pregnancy.
Prenatal supplements contain vastly different types and quantities of nutrients, but many do not contain iodine at all.
An article published in the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics states that although most pregnant and nursing mothers take prenatal supplements, only 15–20% are taking one that contains iodine
Here are two high quality options that do.
Each serving of GLOW’s prenatal capsules provides 150 mcg of iodine, or 68% of the RDI during pregnancy, alongside more than 20 other nutrients that support healthy prenatal development.
GLOW always uses the highest quality, most absorbable nutrient forms, and all of their products are third-party tested for purity and potency.
The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend that people who are pregnant consume at least 220 mcg of iodine per day
Thus, if you choose GLOW as your prenatal supplement, you still want to make sure you’re including iodine-rich foods in your diet to meet your daily needs.
Supplements are designed to fill nutrient gaps, but a balanced diet is still an integral part of a healthy pregnancy.
Smarty Pants Prenatal Gummies
Note: Though this product receives three dollar signs based on its list price, some retailers may offer significant discounts.
Smarty Pants’ prenatal gummies are a great option if you’re pregnant and have difficulty tolerating regular capsules.
All of Smarty Pants’ products are third-party tested for purity, so you don’t have to worry about them containing any contaminants or potentially harmful ingredients that are not listed on the label.
Smarty Pants does not disclose its third-party laboratory for proprietary reasons, but you can access certificates of compliance for each supplement on the company website.
You get 290 mcg of iodine, or 132% of the RDI during pregnancy, in each 4-gummy serving.
The gummies are sweetened with a combination of cane sugar and tapioca syrup, but they only contain 6 grams of added sugar per serving.
They’re free of artificial sweeteners and naturally colored with fruit and vegetable juices. The company also offers an organic version for anyone who prefers organic supplements.