Italian chicken with pasta is sweet and savory entree that’s great to make for a company dinner. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the recipes and ingredients, learn how to make Italian chicken with pasta in this free video series.
Italian Chicken with pasta is a tasty and quick meal. Quick because who doesn’t like simple yet delicious meals? I know I do! So you’ll love this! This dish is quick, easy and full of flavor.
Creamy Italian Chicken & Pasta Skillet
Super scrumptious chicken and creamy pasta is on the table today! Top with fresh basil and enjoy this delicious meal on busy weeknights. It makes great leftovers, too!
On the weekdays, I live for one-pot wonders like this! I love just being able to throw it all in one pan, mix up a quick salad for the side, and sit down to dinner without much fuss. Dinner is so much more delicious when you’re not spending it thinking about all the dishes that need to be done!This scrumptious skillet meal, made with Kraft’s delicious Zesty Italian Anything Dressing, was super easy and a huge hit with my hubby. I use this dressing as the base for lots of delicious meals and since I very first learned to cook, it’s been a staple in my kitchen! The dressing is tangy and robust, with fabulous flavor from the vinegar, red peppers, onions and garlic… perfect for easily adding a bit of zest to salads or skillet dishes like this!
Into a pan to sizzle in the dressing goes your chicken, onions, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, artichokes and some seasonings. After bubbling and simmering, toss in cream cheese and give it a good stir. Your favorite pasta goes right in and cooks in the sauce (oh, yeah baby!), and once it’s done just sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil – voila!
Creamy Italian Chicken & Pasta Skillet
- 1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1 lb. 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 8 oz. each cans tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. 1/2 of 8-oz. pkg. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed, softened
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked whole grain pasta, or 4 cups cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add dressing. Once hot, add chicken and onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and chicken is mostly cooked.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Stir in cream cheese. Once blended through, stir in uncooked pasta and cover. Continue to simmer, cooking pasta according to package instructions (usually 10 minutes for rotini). The pasta will cook in the sauce.*
- Stir in parsley or basil, and serve.
Creamy Chicken Pasta
Creamy Chicken Pasta in White Wine Parmesan Cheese Sauce will remind you of your favorite dinner experience! Easy to make weeknight one pot pasta dish! With only 30 minutes of total work, this dinner recipe is simple, fast and delicious! It almost sounds too easy to be as good as it is.
I love to have myself some flavorful and delicious chicken pasta. With creamy white wine parmesan sauce! I can use it to make a simple meal that is flavor packed in no time. I think there’s nothing better than having a restaurant quality pasta dish on the table within minutes! Especially when I’m treating my family and friends. They love a good creamy pasta dish any night of the week!
What wine works best for this Creamy Chicken Pasta?
I used dry Pinot Grigio white wine to make my creamy chicken pasta, which produced an excellent flavor for the sauce. When cooking with wine, never use “cooking wine”. Cooking with a regular drinking wine will always give you a better tasting dish because the quality is much higher.
Chardonnay, Riesling or Pinot Grigio are all great choices to cook with wine. Creamy Italian chicken pasta dishes benefit greatly in flavor when the wine is added during the cooking process. I love cooking with wine and have a large number of recipes on this blog that are amazingly tasty and easy to make all thanks to wine. Using a good quality drinking wine is such an easy way to create a tasty creamy chicken pasta dish!
Best non-alcoholic substitutes for wine in cooking
- Lemon Juice is an ideal substitute for dry white wine. Squeeze two wedges of fresh lemon into your sauce and add additional ½ cup of chicken stock.
- White Wine Vinegar is an great substitute for dry white wine. Made from white wine, it has many of the same flavor characteristics. Minus the alcohol. In this recipe use only a splash of vinegar + ½ cup chicken stock. Too much vinegar will curdle cream, therefore little is more here!
- Rice Vinegar – do not use it! A brave reader attempted it and the result was simply miserable. Trashcan! Thank you Evangelina for reporting back.
- I do not recommend Apple Cider Vinegar. Because it an be too strong as a substitute. A reader recommended to add ONLY a splash of it. Add more only you desire a stronger flavor.
- Chicken or vegetable stock. Substitute stock for white wine entirely if not a fan of vinegar.
- For extra flavor, try mixing a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of stock.
Can I omit cream?
Yes! For those who do not want dairy, or want to make this pasta dish a bit healthier, skip the cream and use chicken broth instead. All you need to do is let the broth cook down a bit more.
What kind of pasta works best for Creamy Chicken Pasta?
I like to make my chicken pasta using spaghetti but 10 oz of your favorite variety will work just as well (linguine is always a popular option to make an Italian Chicken pasta tasty!). You can also substitute whole grain or whole wheat pasta for added nutritional value!
What kind of chicken works best?
This Italian Chicken Pasta recipe calls for 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Use thin chicken breasts. If you can’t find thin ones, just butterfly thick ones. Tenderizing works too, even though I didn’t tenderize mine, just got thin ones from the store.
If you buy regular chicken breasts (those not labeled as thin), make sure to halve them horizontally. For example, 1 pound of large chicken breasts usually yields 2 of them. And when you half each you will get 4 nice thin chicken fillets.
How to cook chicken breasts:
First and foremost, paper towel dry the chicken. Then, in a large bowl, combine cup flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Stir well to blend. Using a fork or tongs, coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture and set aside.
Next, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet and set heat to medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, place coated chicken breasts in the skillet. Cook on medium high for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. They will turn golden brown on both sides. Make sure to turn them only once between cooking! You will cook them for a total of about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
How to make Creamy White Wine Parmesan Sauce:
First, melt butter in the pan, then add diced yellow onion and minced garlic cloves to pan. Start cooking on medium high until onions and garlic are translucent, about 2 minutes. Next add chopped scallions and diced tomatoes and cook them until softened.
Once you soften scallions and tomatoes, you will add flour to pan and whisk to combine. This will help thicken the sauce. Now add heavy cream, wine and seasonings! Next, bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmering point.
When to add cheese
Once you reduce the heat, add ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. In order to incorporate it well, make sure to use a whisk. Or mix with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth mixture.
How and When to Cook Pasta:
Cook 12 oz of spaghetti according to your package instructions. Do it after you make the sauce so that pasta is fresh. Besides, when pasta is hot it can absorb the sauce very well making it so very tasty. If you like pasta that is neither too hard nor too soft, always cook it Al Dente. You will drain, but not rinse the pasta in order for the sauce to stick.
Final Assembly of Chicken Pasta Dish
Add cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine on low heat for 2-4 minutes. Taste and add more salt an seasoning if needed. Next, return chicken to skillet on top of the pasta. Allow it to warm up for an additional 5 minutes. Serve chicken either on top or next to pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
How to store creamy chicken pasta perfectly
If you don’t plan to serve this creamy chicken pasta right away, you can make it in advance to serve later. In fact, the flavors will develop even more as it sits! However, keep in mind that the pasta will absorb a lot of the sauce. Therefore your dish will be less creamy if you make it in advance and store all the ingredients together.
Another alternative would be to prepare everything except for the pasta. And then to cook the pasta fresh when you are ready to serve it.
Keep your chicken pasta refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to enjoy.
Italian Chicken Pasta in Creamy White Wine Parmesan Cheese Sauce
This pasta recipe will remind you of your favorite Italian dining experience!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: chicken pasta
Servings: 4 servings
For cooking chicken:
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 2 thick ones, halved horizontally and paper towel dried)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz of spaghetti
White Wine Parmesan Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion (or use ½ onion) chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- PREPARING CHICKEN BREASTS: Make sure to cut chicken breastshorizontallyto make them thin. Or, use thin chicken breasts to begin with. Paper towel dry the chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Stir well to blend. Using a fork or tongs, coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture by pressing into the mixture with tongs and then flipping the chicken over to coat the other side. Set aside.
- COOKING CHICKEN BREASTS: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, place flour coated chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, turning once between cooking, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- SAUCE: Add butter, diced yellow onion and minced garlic cloves to pan. Cook on medium high until onions and garlic are translucent, about 2 minutes. Next add chopped scallions and tomatoes. Add 1 tablespoon flour to pan and whisk to combine.
- Now add heavy cream, wine, Italian Seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmering point and then add ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. Use a whisk or a wooden spoon and mix it in until you have a smooth mixture.
- COOKING PASTA according to your package instructions in salty water. I like pasta that is neither too hard nor too soft, so I always cook it Al Dente. Drain, but do not rinse.
- FINAL ASSEMBLY: Add cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine on low heat for 2-4 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed. Return chicken to skillet on top of the pasta and allow it to warm up for an additional 5 minutes.
- SERVE chicken either on top or next to pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Italian Chicken Pasta in Creamy White Wine Parmesan Cheese Sauce
Amount Per Serving
Calories 998Calories from Fat 432
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 25g156%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 1992IU40%
Vitamin C 12mg15%