This Lemon Chicken With Cream is one of my favorite recipes to make when I’m in a hurry. It’s easy to prepare in a very short amount of time, while tasting delicious. This is an extremely creamy and flavorful Chicken With Cream recipe. It’s also very simple to make, but because of its simplicity in ingredients, the taste is amazing.
Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
When it comes to weeknight dinners, this is what we dream of. It’s simple, creamy, and so dang satisfying.
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 40 MINS
freshly grated Parmesan, divided
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
boneless skinless chicken breasts
extra-virgin olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
low-sodium chicken broth
lemon, sliced in rounds and halved
thinly sliced fresh basil
- On a large plate, combine flour with 1/4 cup Parmesan, garlic powder, and lemon zest. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly with a fork. Dredge each chicken breast on all sides with flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken and sear until golden, 6 minutes. Flip and cook until opposite side is golden, around 6 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium and add butter to pan. When butter is melted add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, cream, and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and season with more salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add lemon slices and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- When chicken is cooked, remove skillet from heat and garnish with basil before serving.
CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN
For the full recipe including quantities and method, click the “jump to recipe” button, or scroll through and read our helpful tips along the way.
Creamy Lemon Chicken is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. The delicately flavoured chicken tenderloins are cooked in a frying pan, then bathed in a garlic flavoured, creamy sauce, brightened by the tang of lemon juice and zest. It’s simple, it’s comforting and a delicious meal that the family will love.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE:
Chicken tenderloins are my go-to for quick, easy, weeknight meals. As their name implies, they are reliably tender, and they are an excellent source of protein. They are versatile and can be prepared in many ways, such as my Greek-Style Chicken and Salsa or Mediterranean Chicken Salad.
We love this Creamy Lemon Chicken because:
- It is prepared from ingredients which are readily available year-round.
- We have used tenderloins as they are more reliably tender than chicken breasts.
- It is a family friendly meal – one which adults and children alike will enjoy – and that’s always a plus!
- We use just one skillet for the Creamy Lemon Chicken, so there’s less washing up.
- Easy chicken dinners are always a hit – we also love Chicken Patties!
- You can make it gluten-free by using the appropriate flour.
- The sauce is a perfect balance of flavours; cream and lemon are a fantastic combination.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS RECIPE:
Please see the recipe card further along in the post for exact quantities of ingredients and the full method.
Chicken tenderloins – We have chosen tenderloins as they are reliably tender. You can use the breast if you prefer, but it is inclined to become dry if even a little overcooked.
Plain/all-purpose flour – To coat the chicken before pan-frying. Use a gluten-free blend if necessary.
Dried oregano – On this occasion, I prefer the dried herb. The flavour is more subtle than the fresh herb and better complements the other ingredients without dominating them.
Butter – Use either salted or unsalted.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – From the first pressing of the olives, it has great flavour and nutritional benefits.
Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves have a much better flavour than the jarred variety.
Thickened cream – Also known as whipping cream or heavy cream, it has a milk fat content of at least 35%.
Lemon zest and lemon juice – Add vibrant, fresh flavour and a gentle tang to balance the creamy sauce.
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste.
Parsley – For the best flavour, I prefer the flat-leaf variety.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
- To prepare the tenderloins, use a sharp knife to remove the tendon at one end of the tenderloin. Pat the chicken dry with some paper towel. On a large plate, mix the flour and dried oregano. Toss the chicken in the flour so it is well coated. Tap off any excess flour.
- Melt half the butter and the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the same pan then add the garlic, cooking for 1-2 minutes, being careful to not let the garlic burn. Add the lemon juice and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon to get all the flavour. Add the zest and the cream, and mix. Simmer for three minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken slightly. Add the parsley and season well. Serve immediately.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS AND FAQS:
As the chicken cooks very quickly, you will need to have all your ingredients ready before you begin to cook.
Can I use chicken breast?
Yes, you certainly can. Just be careful to not overcook the chicken breast as it tends to become tough and dry if it becomes even a little overcooked.
How do I remove the tendon from the tenderloin?
There is a small, white, tough tendon visible at one end of the tenderloin. Remove it with a sharp knife or a pair of scissors. There’s no need to remove it all; the tendon inside the meat is very thin and you won’t notice it after cooking but it is important to remove the larger, thicker piece. Don’t try to pull it out or the meat may fall apart.
Can I make the Creamy Lemon Chicken ahead of time?
It is best if served as soon as it is made. However, you could prepare the separate components a day ahead, and store in the refrigerator ready to cook. The cooking process is so speedy.
How should I store leftovers and can the dish be frozen?
If you should happen to have leftovers, store them in the fridge as soon as possible. Store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days, then reheat gently on low heat on the stovetop or in a microwave. For safety reasons, if leftovers have been out of the fridge for 2 hours, discard them. I don’t recommend freezing this dish. With the high dairy content, on thawing, it could separate.
Easy Creamy Lemon Chicken
Make this easy creamy lemon chicken tonight! It’s a delicious and comforting chicken dinner that everyone in the family will love. The pan-seared chicken is tender, and the creamy lemon sauce is rich and tangy. It is so good!
One of my favorite one-skillet dinners is this easy creamy lemon chicken! It’s a very easy weeknight chicken recipe that everyone in my family loves. The simple pan-seared chicken is tender thanks a few tricks on how to cook moist chicken breasts…no marinade needed. And the creamy lemon garlic sauce for the chicken is seriously to die for! Tangy, rich, and creamy!
This easy creamy lemon recipe takes only 30 minutes to make and it’s all done in one pan. I think this makes it an awesome weeknight chicken dinner, right?!
Ingredients in Creamy Lemon Chicken Recipe
The ingredients in this creamy lemon chicken dish are very simple.
For the pan-seared chicken, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: for 4 servings, split 2 chicken breasts into 4 cutlets.
- Salt and pepper: always!
- Italian seasoning: I love the aromatic flavors that Italian seasoning adds to this dish. Adds depth.
- All-purpose flour: The chicken cutlets are dredged in flour to 1) give it a golden brown crust, and to 2) provide texture and flavor as the coating absorbs some of that delicious lemon cream sauce. So, don’t skip the flour!
- Olive oil: for the pan
For the lemon cream sauce, you’ll need:
- Minced garlic: for flavor
- Unsalted butter: adds richness
- Chicken broth: the liquid base for the sauce
- Fresh lemon juice: adds tanginess, flavor, and freshness.
- Heavy cream: to thicken the sauce, add creaminess, and balance out the acidity from the lemon juice
- Seasoning and garnish: Salt and pepper will do. For garnish, use chopped parsley and lemon slices.
The Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
This creamy lemon garlic sauce is so amazing! And it’s super simple, rich, and creamy. The heavy cream balances out the tanginess of the lemon sauce, making one perfectly balanced rich and tangy sauce.
To make the lemon garlic cream sauce for this dish, simply heat some butter over the skillet and add minced garlic, cooking until fragrant. Then stir chicken broth and fresh lemon juice, and bring to a simmer. Next, add the heavy cream and combine.
That’s the sauce! Then all you have to do is add the chicken back and simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. I seriously love this dish!
How to Make this Easy Creamy Lemon Chicken
This chicken recipes comes together in 30 minutes or so. Super easy and only one skillet required to make clean-up a breeze! Seriously, there are so many reasons to love this creamy lemon chicken!
Here’s how to make it in a few simple steps:
- Prepare the chicken: Cut each (large) chicken breast into 2 thinner cutlets. For moist and tender chicken: using a meat tenderizer tool, pound the chicken to even thickness. A uniformly pounded breast ensures even cooking, which lowers the risk of overcooking on any one side. Pounding the chicken also helps break down the fibers, resulting in tender chicken.
- Season the chicken on both sides: I used salt and pepper, plus Italian herbs seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken in flour: This is crucial! The flour will give it a golden brown crust and allow the chicken to absorb more of the sauce!
- Cook chicken: about 4-5 minutes per side or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees F.
- Make the sauce: it’s a combination of butter, garlic, chicken broth, fresh lemon juice, heavy cream, and seasoning.
- Return chicken to pan: simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
That’s all! I like to garnish with chopped parsley and lemon slices. Highly recommended. And, per usual, you can find detailed ingredient quantities and instructions in the recipe card below.
I love to serve my creamy lemon chicken with these amazing crispy herb roasted potatoes! It’s the perfect pairing…seriously! Other ideas are my fluffy mashed potatoes or roasted broccoli with parmesan and lemon.
How to Keep the Chicken Moist and Tender
I get this question a lot: how do I keep my chicken breast from getting dry?!
I used to have the same problem and always got super frustrated and disappointed. BUT…after extensive testing and testing, I was able to make moist pan-seared chicken every single time. Yes, every single time!
You can find more tips and techniques in my moist and juicy pan-seared chicken guide, but here are the basics:
- Pound the chicken breast to even thickness. For this skillet creamy lemon chicken recipe specifically, you’ll actually split each chicken breast into 2 thinner cutlets FIRST, and then pound slightly until evenly thick. Don’t pound it too thin though.
- Don’t overcook it. Since these are thinner, about 4-5 minutes per side will do.