Low Budget Dinners is a recipe for easy, fun to make dinners that come together in less than 15 minutes. And if you need even more time, most of the recipes are great freezer meals. But more important than all of that: they’re delicious!
Are you someone who doesn’t really like to cook, but still wants to eat? That’s not a problem. Never fear! This is the ultimate guide to low budget dinners that are easy and delicious.
cheap dinner ideas that taste top dollar
Just because you’re watching your grocery bill doesn’t mean you have to resort to beans on toast! All these dinners taste amazing, are family-friendly, easy to put together and, best of all, won’t break the budget.
1Chicken Kyiv pasta bake
We’ve turned buttery and garlicky chicken Kyiv into a quick, easy and delicious pasta bake, and it’s on the table in less than 40 minutes.
2Easy savoury mince
This easy savoury beef mince recipe is perfect on toast, served with rice or eaten on its own.
3Beef stroganoff soup
A classic makeover you can now enjoy beef stroganoff as a soup!
4Easy baked bean cottage pie
Topped with potato gems and tasty cheese, this easy beef cottage pie will be a new family favourite.
A hearty meal this Moussaka soup is loaded with 3.5 vegies per serve.
6Vegetable and tofu nasi goreng
For a healthier vegetarian main, try this Indonesian nasi goreng. It’s also budget-friendly and ready in 40 minutes.
7Pumpkin soup with haloumi bites and garlic croutons
Stay warm with this loaded pumpkin soup – with crispy croutons and salty haloumi.
8Slow cooker chicken stroganoff recipe
Let the slow cooker do the hard work with this twist on stroganoff.
9One-pan Greek risoni with tuna
Use up your pantry staples with this super easy one-pan dinner.
10Chicken fajita tray bake
Spice up Mexican night with this easy one-pan chicken traybake – on the table in 40 minutes!
healthy dinners on a budget
Eating well doesn’t have to tug on your purse strings. Try these delicious and easy recipes which use everyday ingredients to create better-for-you meals.
11Healthy slow cooker French chicken recipe
Slow-cooked dishes can be healthy (and creamy!) with a few tweaks, like this low-cal creamy French chicken.
12Healthy tuna mornay
For low calorie comfort food try this healthier version of classic tuna pasta bake.
13Healthier chicken Diane
For a healthy-ish twist on the traditional, whip up this creamy chicken Diane for a family dinner tonight.
14Sweet potato and ham fritters
These crunchy fritters are low in fat, quick to prepare and chock full of veg. Perfect!
15Healthier one-pan baked fried rice
Better-for-you fried rice cooked in the one pan in the oven – it’s a midweek meal miracle!
16Pearl couscous with roasted pumpkin and chorizo
Sweet pumpkin and spicy chorizo add Spanish flair to pearls of couscous.
17Healthy Spanish chicken and beans
Searching for healthy meal prep recipe ideas? This low-cal one-pan chicken and beans dish ticks all the right boxes.
18Super-veg beef chow mein tray bake
With lots of sneaky veg, this healthier version of everyone’s favourite Chinese beef chow mein is made even easier by cooking it all together in the one tray.
19Healthy nasi goreng
Ready in 30 minutes, this Indonesian fried rice is packed with pork fillet, prawns and vegies, and makes for a family-friendly dinner.
20Open chicken pies
Full of veges and flavour, these easy chicken pies make a quick and kid-friendly dinner!
Thrifty recipes to help you keep cooking costs down. Try our budget-friendly salads, jacket potatoes or wraps for lunch, and our curries, pasta and pizza for dinner.
For seven days of family-focussed budget meals try our budget family meal plan or explore budget vegetarian recipes, budget vegan recipes and student recipes
- One-pan pastaA star rating of 5 out of 5.6 ratingsSave on washing up with this easy and quick one-pan spaghetti dish with meatballs and a tomato sauce. It’s both healthy and low in calories
- Jacket potato with whipped feta & sumacA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.32 ratingsThe perfect budget-friendly, filling supper for one. The fragrant, zesty flavour of sumac is a refreshing contrast to the creamy whipped feta
- Sausage raguA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.346 ratingsFeed the family this comforting, budget-friendly sausage ragu with pasta. You can freeze the leftovers for another time and it tastes just as good
- Squash & halloumi flatbreads with sweet chilli beetroot jamA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.14 ratingsDo something different for a family dinner with squash and halloumi flatbreads with sweet chilli beetroot jam. Other squash or sweet potato work well, too
- Tomato & pasta soupA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.63 ratingsMake our simple, budget-friendly tomato, pasta and chickpea soup in just 30 minutes. This easy, vegetarian family meal is healthy and even low fat
- Vegan salad bowlA star rating of 4 out of 5.1 ratingWhip up an easy vegan salad, with beans, radish, pickled cabbage and couscous. Bursting with flavour, it makes a satisfying dinner or lunch on the go
- Beetroot & feta pastaA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.5 ratingsBring colour to your dinner table with our creamy beetroot and feta pasta. Packed with nutrients, it’s a satisfying veggie lunch or supper for the family
- Chipotle sweet potato & black bean stew with cheddar dumplingsA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.118 ratingsEnjoy this filling sweet potato and black bean stew as a budget-friendly midweek meal. Served with moreish cheddar dumplings, it’s great for feeding a crowd
- Sticky Chinese five-spice chicken traybakeA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.170 ratingsFlavoured with honey, hoisin sauce and Chinese five-spice, this one-pan chicken dish makes a cheap and easy midweek family meal
- Gnocchi cacio e pepeA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.22 ratingsEnjoy a comforting bowl of gnocchi with parmesan and black pepper. It’s simple but utterly delicious – and the best part is, it only takes seven minutes to make
- Carrot pilaf with coriander chutneyA star rating of 5 out of 5.12 ratingsTry this healthy pilaf filled for an easy midweek meal. With cashew nuts, veg and spices, it’s not only tasty but budget-friendly too. Top with coriander chutney
- Creamy edamame pesto pasta with rocket saladA star rating of 3.7 out of 5.5 ratingsMake a budget-friendly family meal with our quick and easy edamame pesto pasta. Use wholemeal spaghetti for added fibre if you prefer
- Chipotle chickpeas with aubergine & pittaA star rating of 5 out of 5.3 ratingsGive chickpeas and aubergine a spicy kick with chipotle. Serve on top of pittas with tahini and crème fraîche and finish with lime wedges and coriander
- Spinach falafel & hummus bowlA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.3 ratingsMake this easy vegan salad bowl, with homemade spinach falafels and hummus served alongside pitta and salad. It’s packed with nutrients for a healthy supper
- Pork & apple burgersA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.26 ratingsOur budget-friendly pork and apple burgers are perfect for an easy and delicious family supper. This easy midweek meal takes just ten minutes to prepare
- Sesame & spring onion stir-fried udon with crispy tofuA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.17 ratingsDo something different for dinner, with our vegan noodle, tofu, green bean and spring onion stir-fry. It’s quick and healthy, plus it’s budget-friendly too
- Cheesy chicken bake with new potatoesA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.26 ratingsThis new take on roast chicken, all baked in one pan, is set to become a My Good Food favourite
- Kale pesto & chicken gnocchiA star rating of 4 out of 5.5 ratingsGo green with our kale pesto and chicken gnocchi, full of nutritious ingredients. A balanced, easy dish, it’s ideal for busy days and takes just 20 minutes
- Spicy ‘vedgeree’A star rating of 4.2 out of 5.8 ratingsTry our veggie twist on kedgeree for a healthy supper. Like the traditional version, it’s served with boiled eggs and has a lovely mild curry flavour
- Potato, pea & egg curry rotisA star rating of 3.8 out of 5.9 ratingsCook this low-calorie potato curry for a budget-friendly midweek family meal. Serve warm bowlfuls with rotis and yogurt on the side
- Easy vegan phoA star rating of 3.9 out of 5.12 ratingsMake our easy vegan noodle soup for a warming midweek meal. This low-calorie recipe can be spiced up according to taste with a side serving of sriracha
- Spaghetti puttanescaA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.111 ratingsCook up this classic sauce in one pan, then toss with spaghetti for a simple midweek meal. It’s budget-friendly too, making it a great meal for the family
- Lemon & herb chicken traybake with butter beans & potato wedgesA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.6 ratingsMake this versatile traybake for a hearty family meal. Filling and full of fuss-free, flavourful ingredients, this is budget-friendly food at its best
- Hot pasta saladA star rating of 4 out of 5.6 ratingsThis a good source of vitamin C and packed full of veg. Take some to work