This Mango and Orange Salad recipe is perfect for your BBQs and summer get togethers. It is a fresh, colorful, light and healthy dish that eliminates the oven from your kitchen. Orange and mango are two of my favorite fruits. I just need to bite them, and the juices start flowing down my chin. What’s great about these fruits is that they can be eaten in so many ways. For example, I can just bite into them and eat them like that or I can make a salad out of these sweet fruits.
ORANGE, LETTUCE AND MANGO SALAD
JUST FIVE INGREDIENTS AND A SIMPLE DRESSING CREATE THIS UNIQUE ORANGE, MANGO AND LETTUCE SALAD!
I really love this salad!
It has a minimalist character, since it consists of just 5 ingredients (plus the dressing) but also a glamorous feel due to the exotic mango. So, since the ingredients are so few, you should be a little extra careful and pick the freshest lettuce and the best fruits you can find!
Where I live, we don’t grow mangos, so they are imported from abroad (by what I have seen so far, all of the mangos we have here are imported from Brazil and the majority belongs to the Tommy Atkins variety). This is the reason why when they reach the shelves, they’re not fully ripe yet. What I do, is buy the mangoes I need 3-5 days in advance, in order to give them the chance to ripe some more on my counter. It makes a difference! An unripe fruit lacks all of the aromas and juices which make it so flavorful!
The minute you try this salad you will be addicted to it! It may have no cheese or nuts – like my green apple, goat cheese & arugula salad – but it still manages to be utterly delicious! You see, all the magic lies in the combination of mango, orange and dill. Mango with its sweet and peppery taste pairs unbelievably well with the fresh, citrusy orange and the mild, warm dill. At the same time, lettuce offers the perfect, neutral background for all the flavors to develop, while the dressing adds another dimension of sweet and sour notes! Actually, now that I think about it, this salad is not a mix of fruits and greens, it is pure poetry!
- Don’t skip the dill. It’s what makes all the difference!
- This salad is perfect for the holidays (in my opinion mango gives it a festive flair) but I don’t see any reason not to make it for an everyday dinner…
- Add some cubes of boiled chicken breast for a light and healthy lunch!
Mango, avocado and arugula salad
Refreshing mango, avocado and arugula salad drizzled with a spicy orange vinaigrette
Course: Appetizer, Salad, Starter
Cuisine: American, Latin, Latin fusion, Southwest
Keyword: Arugula, Arugula salad, Avocado, Mango, Spicy orange vinaigrette
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 6 cups arugula leaves
- 1 mango peeled and cut into long slices
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 tbs lime juice
For the spicy orange vinaigrette
- 1 tbs champagne vinegar can also use cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 tbs orange juice about ½ orange
- 2 tbs lime juice about ½ lime
- 4 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- 1 red chili or hot pepper sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a jar, close it tight and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Soak the onion slices in warm water with a dash of salt and 1 tbs lime juice for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the onions slices.
- Toss the arugula leaves with half of the vinaigrette.
- Add the avocado slices, mango slices and onion slices to the arugula mix, drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top.
- Serve immediately.
Orange mango salad with fried duck breast
Ingredients for the duck
- 1 duck breast (about 120 g)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Ingredients for the salad
- 1 ripe mango ca. 250 g
- 2 oranges à 200 g
- 30 g shallots
- 50 ml orange juice
- 1 dash of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of aceto balsamico bianco
- 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- bergamot mint for decoration
Put the duck breast in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Cut out the mango fruit flesh: Cut the fruit lengthwise into 3 pieces, the stone is in the middle piece. Cut out the fruit flesh with a spoon into lozenges of a lenght of 1 cm. Fillet the oranges: Cut the top and the bottom, put the oranges vertical on a worktop and cut the skin top down in segments. Cut between the barriers and release the fillets. Cut them into halves. Squeeze out the rest of the juice – you can use it for the dressing.
Wash the shallots and cut them into little rings. For the dressing add salad, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar and add it to the orange juice. Mix it all together. Mix the oil in plus the mango, orange fillets and shallots.
Cut the duck breast into slices of 4 mm. Heat oil in a pan and fry the duck breast shortly from both sides. Spice it with salt and pepper.
Fill the salad into the 4 jars. Put the duck breast onto darts and lay them on top and across the jar. Decorate it with bergamot mint.