There are some marinades that you create for marinating chicken with mustard. The key to making a good marinade for marinating chicken is using fresh ingredients. And the most important part of this recipe is the Dijon mustard. It’s an epiphany on your palate. Marinating chicken with mustard is simple to do, and it makes your meat delicious.
mustard chicken marinade
mustard chicken marinad
My husband Paul brought home a large pack of split chicken breasts the other day. I take large packages of chicken, beef or pork and break them down into what we’ll use for dinners and freeze them. However, I kept a couple of chicken breasts out to try this marinade. I deboned the split breasts so I would have boneless breasts to marinate and grill. My thinking was, grill them and use them for dinner and lunches for the next couple of days. Grilled chicken is so good in salads and sandwiches during the hot summer months, and mustard chicken marinade is perfect for this.
I don’t wait for Spring and Summer to make Mustard Chicken Marinade. During the winter months, I grill my marinaded chicken on a cast iron grill pan on the stove. It’s just as delicious as making it on the outdoor gas grill.
I loved the marinade! The flavour is absolutely delicious. Just remember, the longer you marinade the chicken the more tender and flavourful it will be. The ingredients aren’t fancy which is another great reason to try it. You’ve probably got everything you need in your kitchen to make it right now. Just make sure to use a glass bowl instead of a metal bowl. Mustard Chicken Marinade, another fantastic way to make tender delicious chicken on the grill! Enjoy!
Mustard Chicken Marinade
Mustard Chicken Marinade, another fantastic way to make tender delicious chicken on the grill!
Keyword: chicken marinade, marinade
Author: Mary Bostow
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Spicy Brown Mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon plus half lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- In a large size glass bowl ( no not use metal bowls) whisk together ingredients beginning with the white vinegar down to the salt. Whisk in the olive oil and pepper. Place the chicken breast in the glass bowl with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade. Turn your grill on and lightly oil it. Grill about 10 minutes per side.
Grilled Dijon Chicken
Liven up your weeknight chicken dinners with this delicious grilled dijon chicken recipe. Marinated in a dijon mustard sauce, this recipe can be made with breasts or thighs, for a simple but tasty meal that the whole family will love. And if you have picky eaters, no one can really taste the mustard!
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Chicken breast: Use skinless boneless chicken breast and try to pound the difference pieces so they are relatively the same thickness.
- Dijon mustard: If you don’t like dijon mustard you could skip it all together and just use lemon or lime juice. However, the taste is subtle and distinctive so it’s worth a try!
- Olive oil: Oil helps to hold the flavor of the dijon mustard on to the surface of the chicken. It also helps to to cook evenly and brown when you grill it. Use olive oil for best flavor, but avocado oil would also work well.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic for the best flavor. The small your cut it, the stronger and more distributed the flavor will be.
- Salt & pepper: For seasoning. Feel free to add other spices like thyme or oregano, but simplicity works well here!
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED DIJON CHICKEN
- Coat the chicken breasts in the marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Place the marinated chicken on to a hot grill pan, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Brown on both sides until cooked through.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE RECIPE
- Make this recipe with chicken thighs. Just be aware that they will take slightly longer to cook through. The best way to check that your chicken is thoroughly cooked is by using an instant read thermometer, it should register at 165F.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours. This will really allow the flavor of the mustard to develop and will help the chicken to become tender. Marinate the chicken in a non-metallic dish, covered with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
- Cut the chicken in half widthwise or pound them to flatten them slightly if they are very thick. This will help the chicken to cook through faster.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Resting allows the juices in the chicken to redistribute so you don’t end up with dry breasts.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does it keep?
The cooked dijon chicken will keep well, covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can slice the cold chicken and serve it on top of salads or in wraps or sandwiches. To reheat the chicken, place in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.
Can you oven bake it?
The grill marks on this chicken are so appetizing, and it’s also quicker to cook this way, but you can also bake it it the oven if you prefer. Bake the dijon marinated chicken breasts in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked through.
HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN MARINADE
This super easy Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade adds so much more than just a deliciously tangy flavor to plain chicken! It only takes a few minutes and you’re well on your way to tender, juicy marinated chicken with a mild yet bold, sweet, and savory punch for your tastebuds!
HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN MARINADE RECIPE
Honey and mustard are a classic flavor combo to use with chicken, and this marinade is no exception! The sweet and tangy flavored chicken is a delightful change from plain old chicken!
Plus the marinade works to make the chicken super tender and keep it ridiculously moist through the cooking process! It’s a fabulous way to cook up chicken breast that is usually bland or dried out once cooked. Yum!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
You’ll want a storage bag for your chicken to marinate in, it helps the marinade cling to the chicken and yields the best results. In addition to a ziploc plastic storage bag or freezer bag, you’ll need these essential pantry staple ingredients:
- Honey – is a family favorite for making marinades of all flavors for all proteins! Honey is a perfect marinade base ingredient!
- Mustard – use your favorite Dijon mustard brand. I use both creamy Dijon or stone-ground Dijon interchangeably for this amazing marinade!
- Olive Oil – use extra virgin olive oil to add that familiar taste and to help coat the chicken wonderfully! Coconut oil is my runner-up cooking oil to use in this and other marinades.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – while this can be an optional addition, it really does make your chicken ‘zing’ with flavor! The vinegar also works to break down the meat for a superbly tender chicken!
- Paprika – I love paprika and use either regular or smoked paprika on pretty much all of my meats. It never used to be that way, but now I can’t imagine not having it on hand at all times! It. Just. Works.
- Cayenne Pepper– this is another optional ingredient that I do recommend. It won’t make your marinated chicken too spicy, but offsets and highlights your mustard and honey flavors!
- Garlic Powder – or minced garlic is a great savory addition with a depth of flavor to make this marinade outstanding!
- Salt & Pepper – for just the right amount of seasoning that highlights your ingredient flavors!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MARINADE
Your marinade comes together in literally 5 minutes, get your chicken coated, and refrigerate for the perfect honey mustard chicken!
- In a small bowl combine the honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder or minced garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Transfer the chicken and marinade into a plastic storage bag or freezer bag. Squeeze out any excess air while sealing the bag securely.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken by squishing the marinade throughout the bag. Continue until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pro Tip: If you will be grilling whole chicken breasts, it is best to flatten the chicken breasts for quick and even cooking. Place your chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic cling film then pound with a meat mallet or tenderizer ( the flat side ). Start at the center of the chicken breast and work your way outward toward the edges.
Your chicken needs to marinate at the very least for 15 – 20 minutes before cooking. The longer you can let the chicken marinate, the more flavorful it will be!
I would usually recommend at least 4 hours, or overnight ( 8 hours ) for optimal marinating. However, you can marinate the chicken for up to 2 days refrigerated. This is the maximum amount of time that I would marinate the chicken in a vinegar-based marinade.
While frozen chicken pieces can usually be stored in the freezer for 6 months or more, I recommend a maximum of three months. Allow the frozen marinated chicken to thaw while refrigerated overnight.
The honey mustard marinade will slowly seep into your chicken while the meat is thawing, making it wonderfully tender and delicious!