It was an orange fluff salad, the menu said. But it wasn’t just any kind of fluff. It was the best kind of fluff there could be: lime flavored…and mango. Eyeing the little dishes with their watery yellow substance suspiciously, I couldn’t help thinking how much better it would have looked had I used mayonnaise instead of yogurt. But still, something didn’t deter me from taking a spoonful. That bite was delicious. And healthy too!
Related Post: Mint Watermelon Salad
Orange Fluff Salad
Watch Us Make It!
Orange Fluff Salad Recipe
With minimal ingredients and time, you can whip up this Orange Fluff Salad for that next potluck, family gathering, or picnic with ease. With only 6 ingredients, you can’t get any more simple than that.
When it comes to Fluff Salads it brings me back to my childhood and one of my grandparents or great aunts bringing these to all of our get-togethers.
This is such a simple salad that you can do with a variety of different flavors as well such as pistachio, strawberry, cherry, etc and all you need to do is just change out the fruits and gelatin you use.
How much more simple can you get than that? In our house, simple is how we go and how we thrive and I’m sure a lot of people can relate to that.
Orange Fluff Ingredients
What ingredients do you need for orange fluff salad?
- Mandarin Oranges– use the canned kind so they are super soft, but be mindful to drain them first. They are watery as it is and you don’t want a runny salad.
- Crushed pineapple– same goes with the crushed pineapple. You want the juicy goodness, but not so much that your fluff goes flat.
- Cottage cheese– this, my foodie friends, is the game-changing ingredient. I used to use pudding mix for the extra creamy factor, but soon discovered from a friend that cottage cheese does the same trick but with extra emphasis on the creamy and a little less sweet.
- Orange gelatin- Any type will do!
- Whipped topping- I do suggest using whipped topping instead of whipped cream. Whipped topping is made from hydrogenated vegetable oil and there is more stable and won’t fall. Whipped cream tends to melt.
- Mini marshmallows – Minis are best for the structure of the salad, but if you have big ones, use kitchen shears to snip them into smaller pieces. The variety of color of pastel mini marshmallows are also fun to use. I put a few more on top as garnish. Cool Whip is the preferred brand for this.
How do you make orange fluff salad?
As stated before this is such a simple recipe to make. You start by mixing your oranges, pineapple, and cottage cheese in a bowl until combined. Make sure you drain those fruits first!
You then add orange gelatin and mix it so that it dissolves nicely.
PRO TIP: This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for large crowds and is great for potlucks!
You then stir in whipped topping until everything is incorporated. Lastly, fold in the marshmallows.
Tips & Variations
- You can use small or large curd cottage cheese.
- Drain your pineapple and oranges as well as you can, otherwise, the salad itself can turn out runny.
- You can use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple if you like.
- Also, use cherry gelatin + cherry pieces.
- Also, use orange gelatin + fruit cocktail.
- Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pistachios.
- Add flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened.
Related Post: Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad With Cream Cheese
Jello Salad Variations and Tips:
This super quick Jello Salad dessert can take on so many different flavors! Here are some great variations to try…
- Use raspberry jello mix and fresh raspberries.
- Pineapple jello mixed with fresh pineapple bits.
- Try using sugar-free jello mix to make it a little less sweet.
Can You Make Orange Fluff Salad Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe is great for mixing up a day in advance and chilling in the fridge. The mandarin oranges might give the salad a little extra moisture when it sits, so you’ll just want to stir it up again before serving.
Make Ahead & Freezing
Orange Fluff is best served within a few hours of preparation or it tends to get runny and melty. But since it is such an easy recipe, it should be easy to whip it up right before serving.
It will stay good for up to 3 days, but the texture will be different.
I do not recommend freezing orange fluff.
ORANGE FLUFF SALAD
yield: 6 servings
prep time: 10 minutes
chill time: 1 hour
total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Orange Fluff Salad – a retro side dish or dessert made with jello, whipped topping, fruit, and marshmallows. Filled with lots of sweet, classic flavors!
- 1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
- 1 small box (3 oz.) of orange-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) pineapple, crushed, drained
- Additional whipped topping, for garnish (optional)
- Additional mandarin oranges, for garnish (optional)
Related post: Salad Diet Plan For Weight Loss
- Place the whipped topping in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the orange gelatin over the top of the whipped topping and stir until blended.
- Fold the oranges and pineapple into the whipped topping mixture.
- Stir in marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe!
- This is a great recipe for when you need something that’s going to feed a lot of people.