Oven Fried Chicken With Bisquick is a classic recipe that will soon become your family’s favorite way to prepare chicken. It has outstanding flavor and is wonderfully moist in the center because of the bisquick batter. It’s marinated in buttermilk overnight which also helps make this recipe delicious.
BISQUICK OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
Share This Recipe!
Tasty, crunchy Bisquick oven fried chicken is the quickest, easiest way to get your finger-licking good fried chicken fix! I use Bisquick baking mix to bread the chicken and the result is an incredibly delicious fried chicken like you’ve never had before!
Crispy, crunchy, and juicy – there’s a lot to love about this easy Bisquick oven fried chicken!
Craving an easy weeknight fried chicken recipe? I’ve got you covered! Bisquick oven fried chicken is a perfectly crunchy, super tasty recipe that my family loves.
I just bread chicken pieces with the baking mix and other spices, then bake until it’s amazingly crisp. It couldn’t be any easier
Kids and adults alike love fried chicken! This is such a family-friendly recipe that anyone could enjoy.
Serve with your favorite sides and you’ve got a satisfying chicken dinner in just under an hour!
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
A Classic! There are few people I know who don’t like fried chicken—it’s just such a delicious classic! Few can resist juicy chicken with a crispy, savory crust.
A Healthier Version! Oven frying the chicken removes all the heavy grease and fat that we normally associate with fried chicken, so you’re eating a dish that won’t weigh you down!
So Easy! I use Bisquick to make the breading for this recipe, so the breading is super easy and bakes up unbelievably crispy!
Fried chicken has never been easier! This recipe has just a few simple ingredients, like the super-convenient, ready-to-use Bisquick mix!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
- Chicken – You can use any cut of chicken you like, a mix of pieces, or a broken down 8-piece chicken.
- Eggs – Eggs will be used as a part of the chicken breading! You’ll just want these to be well beaten before dipping the chicken.
- Bisquick – This classic baking mix is a perfect breading for chicken! It bakes up thick and crunchy, with lots of flavor!
- Panko Breadcrumbs – This is optional, but it gives the chicken breading an extra layer of crunch that’s super delicious!
- Paprika – Paprika is a fantastic seasoning for fried chicken! It gives great color and savory flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – You’ll use these to taste! I like to start with 1 teaspoon each, but you can add more or less depending on what your preferences are.
Can’t find Panko breadcrumbs? You can use regular breadcrumbs or even crushed potato chips or Ritz crackers for extra crispiness!
If you’d like a little spice and extra flavor, try substituting the salt and pepper for 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning! Typically, these have a good amount of salt added, but if your version is salt-free or is low sodium, then add extra salt to taste.
🔪 STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Oven-fried chicken is one of my favorites, and it’ll be one of yours too! It takes about 45 minutes to cook, but that’s so much easier than frying!
PREP THE CHICKEN & DREDGING STATION
- Prep. Start by preheating your oven to 425°F (218°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, rinse 2 pounds of chicken pieces and pat dry, then set aside on a clean plate. *Make sure to sanitize your sink!
- Make Breading. In a bowl large enough to dip your chicken, crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Then in another bowl that will fit the chicken pieces, combine ⅔ cup of Bisquick, ¼ cup of Panko breadcrumbs, 1 ½ teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper (or to taste).
BREAD & BAKE THE CHICKEN PIECES
- Bread Chicken. Dip each chicken piece into the beaten eggs, then dip into the Bisquick mixture, fully coating the chicken.
- Bake. Place the coated pieces onto the prepared baking sheet and put into the middle of your oven’s center rack. Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 40 to 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C)in the deepest part of your thickest chicken piece.
- Serve. When done, remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. You can transfer the chicken to a wire cooling rack if desired to help keep the crispiness.
Bisquick oven fried chicken is a great, easy way to make fried chicken! I love serving this with my quick, creamy white cheddar mac and cheese and a green veggie like my roasted brussels sprouts! Enjoy!
💭 ANGELA’S TIPS & RECIPE NOTES
- If you prefer to use a whole chicken, you can typically buy one pre-cut! I’m a big fan of getting my butcher to help me out with cutting various meats! Ask your butcher to cut the whole chicken into fryer pieces – this way you can easily have a fresh chicken cut perfectly into pieces without having to do the hard work yourself!
- Use an instant read thermometer or digital meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is the right temperature! No one wants to bite into raw chicken! Check the internal temperature at the deepest part of your thickest chicken piece (usually the breast or thigh).
- Turning the chicken is optional, but if you can if you’d like! If you want to turn the chicken pieces, you’ll need to about halfway through the baking time.
- Get better air circulation. You can also skip the turning and put the chicken on a greased wire cooling rack on top of the baking sheet. This can help the air circulate under the chicken to make it extra crispy without turning!
🥡 STORING & REHEATING
My crispy Bisquick oven-fried chicken will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days! To maximize the quality, be sure to keep the chicken in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in aluminum foil.
Did you know you can freeze fried chicken? You just have to do it right! The best way to do this is to flash freeze.
Place the cooked chicken pieces on a baking sheet and freeze for an hour or two until they’re mostly frozen. Then transfer to airtight container or freezer storage bag and they’ll keep for about 4 months!
REHEATING BISQUICK OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
The oven is the best way to reheat any fried chicken to ensure it’s super crispy! Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (205°C).
Put the chicken on a greased wire cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until reheated and crispy. You can also do this same process with an air fryer – just don’t crowd the air fryer basket or the pieces won’t get crispy!
Does oven frying get the chicken crispy?
Yes! As long as the chicken is baked at a high heat, spaced evenly on the pan, and not crowded it should definitely be crispy! You can put the chicken on a wire rack before baking to make sure the air circulates under the chicken and that’ll ensure crispiness.
Bonus points if you have a convection oven – that’ll basically turn your whole oven into an air fryer and make the chicken super crispy!
Is oven-fried chicken healthier?
It sure is! There is no frying or oil in this recipe, so that removes most of the fat that you consume when eating fried chicken. My recipe makes sure the chicken is just as crispy and flavorful as deep-fried chicken!
BISQUICK OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
Thank you for sharing!
Crunchy and juicy Bisquick oven fried chicken is a classic dinner that the whole family loves. Tender pieces of chicken are double battered in an egg wash and Bisquick baking mix with parmesan cheese, then baked to perfection. The result is a dish that’s healthier than deep-frying, but still has that great crispy texture and amazing fried chicken taste you crave. This Bisquick chicken breast recipe can be oven baked or prepared in the air fryer. It’s an easy and quick entree that’s ready to serve with your favorite sides in only 30 minutes.
THE BEST BISQUICK OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
When I was a kid, Shake n Bake Chicken was a big thing. This Bisquick crispy oven baked chicken recipe reminds me a lot of that, since one way to easily coat the chicken is to add the flour mix to a ziplock bag, then add the chicken, and shake it to coat.
The secret to perfect oven-fried chicken that is crispy and crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside is to double coat the chicken.
Pieces are dipped in egg, shaken up with Bisquick and parmesan cheese, then dipped and shaken again. Melted butter is drizzled on the chicken just before it is baked to add that golden fried texture and flavor.
These simple foolproof steps are sure to help you make the best parmesan baked chicken that’s better (and healthier!) than deep frying.
For an even more convenient and modern twist, we also have steps for how to prepare this easy chicken recipe in the air fryer. Either method, baked or air fried, only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR BISQUICK BAKED CHICKEN
These crispy chicken breasts are made with a ready-to-go Bisquick baking mix. So you only need a handful of other ingredients for this easy recipe!
- Bisquick mix
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Chicken breasts
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY OVEN BAKED BISQUICK CHICKEN
This fantastic dish is as easy to make as it is tasty to enjoy. There are four main steps to prepare the best Bisquick fried chicken recipe in 30 minutes from start to finish.
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Next, beat the two eggs in a small tray or rimmed dish. Add the Bisquick, cheese, garlic salt and paprika to a large 1-gallon resealable bag. Give a gently shake to mix.
- Dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, then place in the plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. For the BEST and crispiest Bisquick oven fried chicken, do another round of dipping the chicken into the egg and then coating again in more of the Bisquick mixture. Set the coated chicken onto the prepare baking sheet. Repeat this process with all of the pieces. Drizzle melted butter evenly over all of the chicken.
- Bake the Bisquick chicken for 25 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking (about 12 minutes into baking). Use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is 165 degrees before removing from the oven.
Keep reading for these tips and frequently asked questionson how to prepare crispy Bisquick air fryer chicken breasts or see the recipe below!
TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can this crispy oven baked chicken recipe be made with other pieces of chicken?
Yes, feel free to use chicken tenders or chicken thighs. For boneless skinless tenders, check the internal temperature after baking for 20 minutes. Bone-in pieces will likely require at least 30 minutes to bake.
How do I make this a gluten-free Bisquick baked chicken recipe?
Swap the traditional baking mix with Gluten-Free Bisquick to easily make this a GF-friendly dish.
Bisquick Fried Chicken Recipe
Bisquick Fried Chicken is unbelievably crisp on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients, super easy to make, and a family favorite in our house!
The name might be a bit misleading because this dish is not fried at all, rather, it is baked. And this is exactly what I love about it!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
First of all, because the chicken won’t be swimming in a pool of oil, this dish is a lot healthier and easier to clean up.
Second, you don’t have to stand in front of the hot stove, waiting for your chicken to cook. And last, it tastes incredibly amazing. Just like real deep-fried chicken, minus the guilt.
Tips & Tricks for the Best Fried Chicken
- Want moister chicken? Use thin, boneless cuts of chicken or use a mallet to pound the pieces thin.
- Depending on the cut of chicken you’re using, you will have to adjust the cooking time. For bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, bake for 30 minutes, flip, and cook for 20 more minutes. For skinless chicken breasts, bake for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for 20 minutes more. For chicken wings, bake for 15 minutes, flip, then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Apart from the breading, what makes this recipe so flavorful is the butter. That said, do not substitute it with any kind of oil.
- Dip the chicken in egg before the Bisquick mix, that way the coating has a better chance to stay in place.
- I highly suggest you use either a baking dish or pan for this recipe since the chicken will ooze out juices as it bakes. If you only have a baking sheet available, be sure to line it with foil.
- Bisquick fried chicken is fantastic on its own, but it’s hardly a complete meal. Serve it with some warm buttery biscuits, a side salad, or creamy mashed potatoes for the perfect comfort meal.
- Don’t have or don’t want to use Bisquick? It’s okay, you can make your own mix instead. Here’s how: sift together 6 cups of flour, 3 tablespoons of baking powder, and a tablespoon of salt. With a pastry blender, cut in 1 cup of vegetable shortening until you get a crumbly mixture. Done! This DIY Bisquick mix will last for 3 months in an airtight container.
- Be sure to place the chicken on the pan skin side down. This way, you’ll get extremely crispy chicken skin. YUM.
- Remove the chicken out of the baking pan right after baking. Don’t let it sit on the butter while cooking or else it will start to get soggy.
Try a Variety of Flavors for Your Bisquick Chicken
This recipe yields irresistible and flavorful chicken. But, if you want to kick things up a notch, here are some spices and seasonings you can add to achieve your desired chicken flavor:
Spicy chicken: Combine paprika, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Smoky chicken: Combine smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Lemon garlic chicken: Combine garlic powder, lemon pepper, garlic salt, and paprika.
KFC-style chicken: Use KFC Potato Wedges seasoning mix.
Southern fried chicken: Combine buttermilk powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, pepper, and kosher salt.
Barbeque chicken: Combine barbeque rub, kosher salt, and pepper.
Bisquick Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 80 grams Bisquick Baking Mix (Original, 2/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken, whole (cut-up broiler-fryer chicken)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place butter in a 13×9-inch baking dish (or pan) and melt it in the oven. Set aside.
- Combine Bisquick, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Coat the chicken with the Bisquick mixture.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish with the skin side down. Butter and dish should still be hot.
- Bake chicken for 35 minutes, uncovered. Flip the pieces over and bake for another 15 minutes. To ensure they’re done, poke the chicken with a knife. If the juices oozing out are no longer pink, they’re good to go.