Parmesan Chicken With Bread Crumbs is a simple and easy meal to make, and it tastes amazing!
Chicken Parmesan is a family favorite because it’s so quick and easy to make. The chicken is moist and full of flavor, and the outside gets deliciously golden and crunchy. My kids like to dip their chicken in marinara sauce, but you can also serve it on a bed of pasta or zucchini noodles. It makes pretty good leftovers as well!
Crispy parmesan chicken
Gary Rhodes’ Parmesan chicken recipe is a quick way to jazz up chicken breasts. Serve with crusty bread and a cold glass of white wine.
less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless
- salt and pepper
- flour, for dusting
- 75g/3oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g/2oz finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- olive oil, for cooking
- large knob of butter
- 6 tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- coarse sea salt
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 4 wedges of lemon
- Place the chicken breasts between cling film sheets and lightly bat, until about half to one centimetre/quarter to half an inch thick. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dust in flour to coat thoroughly, tapping away any excess.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Dip the flattened chicken breasts (escalopes) in the beaten egg, followed by the Parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Heat some olive oil with the butter in a large frying pan. Once sizzling, add the crumbed escalopes and cook for three to four minutes on each side until crispy and golden.
- For the soft basil tomatoes, preheat the grill and put the tomato halves on a baking tray, topping each with a slice of garlic. Season with a good twist of fresh black pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- Drizzle with olive oil and grill until just overdone, their softness providing the escalopes with a sauce to dip into.
- Tear the basil leaves and scatter them over the tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the escalopes on a warm plate with the soft basil tomatoes and a wedge of lemon.
A simple Parmesan and breadcrumb mixture gives these breasts a crunchy coating and keeps them moist inside.
For the chicken:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 oz. each)
- 6 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 Tbs. white wine or water
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the coating:
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup fresh English muffin (or sandwich bread) crumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbs. melted butter
- For the chicken: Rinse the breasts and pat them dry. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the mustard, wine, salt, and pepper and add the chicken. The chicken can be coated immediately or held in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
- For the coating: In a large, shallow dish, mix the cheese, breadcrumbs, and pepper. Drizzle the melted butter over the crumb mixture and toss until well combined.
- To coat and cook the chicken: Heat the oven to 450°F and butter a baking sheet or rack. Take a breast from the marinade with one hand–this is now your “wet” hand. Don’t wipe off the marinade. Lay the chicken on the crumbs. Scoop and pat the crumbs over the breast using your other hand (your “dry” hand), patting until both sides are thoroughly coated. Put the breast on a buttered baking sheet or rack and repeat with the remaining breasts. Roast the chicken until it’s crisp, browned, and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Check after 15 minutes. If the chicken is getting too brown, reduce the heat to 400° and add 5 minutes to the total cooking time.
The BEST Chicken Parmesan
The BEST Chicken Parmesan. Tender pan fried chicken breasts coated in panko breadcrumbs and lots of parmesan cheese. Perfectly crisp and crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Topped with tomato sauce and melty mozzarella cheese. This easy chicken parmesan recipe is way better than any restaurant!
The BEST Chicken Parmesan
This Parmesan Chicken Recipe is one of my all time favorite meals. It comes out incredibly juicy, tender and perfectly crisp on the outside. It truly is the BEST chicken parmesan! I take thin cut chicken breast and bread them in a mixture of parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Next I pan fry them until golden brown then top them with marinara and mozzarella cheese. Broil to melt the cheese than serve! What I love most about this garlic parmesan chicken is that it stays crispy and does not get soggy!
This recipe starts with a three step breading process. Flour, egg, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. To keep the chicken extra juicy I use skinless boneless chicken breast and cut them in half. I pound them out to a 1/2 inch thickness. This helps the chicken to cook evenly as well as shortening the cooking time. Fast quick cooking = more tender chicken.
What is chicken parmesan
Chicken parmesan also known as “Chicken Parmigiana” is a traditional Italian meal of thinly sliced chicken breast breaded then baked, pan fried or deep fried until crispy. Tomato sauce and mozzarella are added then broiled until gooey. This dish is thought to have been inspired from one of my other favorites: Eggplant parmesan!
What makes this recipe the best!
- Replacing some of the breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese helps to keep the breading crispy on the outside and super cheesy.
- Pounding the chicken to a 1/2 inch thick keeps the cooking time down resulting in a juicier and tender piece of chicken. It also helps the chicken to cook evenly.
- I start with a hot pan and make sure not to overcrowd the pan. This will ensure the chickens extra crispy and never soggy.
- Chicken Breast: Make sure to pound these out really thin! I cut the chicken breast in half length wise then pound them out.
- Olive Oil: Helps to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan and helps it get golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- All Purpose Flour: Gives the egg something to stick to.
- Eggs: Help to keep the breading onto the chicken.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: The panko breadcrumbs gives the breading a light and airy texture. I recommend using panko over regular breadcrumbs. It makes the breading a lot crunchier!
- Parmesan Cheese: 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese is added to the breading! When testing this recipe I kept adding more and more parmesan cheese to the breading. I felt it added some much needed salt and added so much flavor.
- Breading: Flour, Egg, Panko Breadcrumbs and Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese: I prefer to use fresh sliced mozzarella cheese over shredded prepackaged mozzarella. Pre shredded cheese contains additives that keep it from melting properly.
- Tomato Sauce: Use your favorite tomato sauce recipe or try my slow cooker tomato sauce!
- Basil: Is a must for topping this chicken parm!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
- Slice chicken in half: Start by cutting chicken in half horizontally. Pound each piece until 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bread chicken: Add flour to a shallow dish, set aside. Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk, set aside. Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to a shallow bowl and mix to combine. Starting with the flour and ending with breadcrumbs, dip the chicken into the flour, egg and Parmesan breadcrumbs. The best way to bread the chicken is to keep one hand for wet ingredients and one hand for dry. This helps from getting the dreaded breading hands.
- Pan fry chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken two at a time to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden grown and cooked all the way through.
- Broil: Place chicken in a pan or sheet tray and top with mozzarella cheese. Broil on high until melted and bubbly.
- Serve: Immediately with tomato sauce on top and a sprinkle of basil for serving!
Can I bake the chicken instead?
If you prefer to bake the chicken instead of pan frying I recommend baking in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. The ingredients and breading instructions for the baked parmesan chicken are the same as pan frying. Enjoy