This Parmesan Chicken With Mayo dish is just plain perfect, whether your kids are picky eaters or not, I think they’ll love this one.
Want to try something a little different for dinner tonight? Parmesan chicken with mayo sounds like it shouldn’t work but take it from me, on your next visit to the grocery store pick up that purse of chicken breasts and the jar of mayonnaise…
Simple Chicken Mayo with Parmesan and Bread Crumbs
This is a tried-and-tested recipe! I remember seeing an ad on TV about cooking with mayonnaise and decided to give it a shot. I’ve made it with just the mayonnaise on top and it really locks the moisture into the chicken. The bread crumbs and cheese are a must for me; they complement each other very well.
Original recipe yields 2 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 ½ tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, or more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons herbes de Provence
- Step 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place chicken breasts in a baking pan.
- Step 2Mix Parmesan cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl; spread evenly over chicken breasts. Coat with bread crumbs; sprinkle with herbes de Provence.
- Step 3Bake in the preheated oven until chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Mayo Parmesan Chicken
Mayo Parmesan chicken is the most moist and delicious chicken you will ever eat. With only a handful of ingredients and the easiest ever prep, this Parmesan crusted chicken with mayo will become your go to dinner any night of the week!
I have some recipes that I think of as my back pocket recipes.
Mayo Parmesan ChickenPlay Video
They are all easy recipes that save me time and time again with their simple ingredients that I almost always have on hand, easy prep and yummy results.
This mayo Parmesan chicken bake is one of those recipes.
It only needs 6 ingredients and is so simple I could put it together in no time at all.
You probably have most of the ingredients on hand to make this simple chicken dinner recipe.
To make it you need:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – make sure to trim the chicken of any fat before using
- mayonnaise – brand doesn’t matter, but make sure it is REAL mayo- our favorite is Hellman’s
- shredded Parmesan cheese – not the powdery stuff in the green can, you need real shredded Parmesan cheese for this recipe to turn out properly
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
That’s it! Nothing that you don’t regularly keep on hand or buy in your weekly shop.
How to Make
Making this Parmesan crusted chicken with mayo is a snap!
To do it, spray a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Then season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place them in the prepared dish.
Set it aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder until evenly combined.
Dollop the mayo mixture onto the chicken.
Then use a spatula to spread the mixture out evenly so it covers chicken completely.
Then bake the chicken in 400° oven for 20-25 minutes.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
What to Serve With Mayo Parmesan Chicken
This chicken bake pairs well with so many things!
I personally like to pair it mashed potatoes, green beans and crescent rolls.
Other delicious pairings could include steamed broccoli, green beans, side salad or rice pilaf.
While this chicken is super delicious, unfortunately it is one dish that does not freeze well so I don’t recommend freezing leftovers.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat them by placing leftovers in the oven at 225 and cooking until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Tips and Tricks
- Whatever your usual preference, DO NOT attempt this recipe with miracle whip. It’s far too tangy, and in the end it won’t crisp up with the Parmesan cheese to form the desired crust.
- If using very thick chicken breasts, you may want to pound them thinner with a meat mallet to adhere to these cooking times. To do this, just place the chicken between two sheets of wax paper and gently hit it with a meat mallet until it’s the desired thickness.
- You could also butterfly the breasts and then cut them in half in order to thin them out.
- Experiment with you cheeses! Fiesta blend, Italian blend, pepper jack, etc! Whatever you like!
- If the cheesy crust is browning too much before the meat’s done, loosely tent with aluminum foil.
- I haven’t tried it myself, but have heard you can substitute Greek yogurt for the mayo if fat is an issue.
HOW TO STORE + REHEAT
Refrigerate this Mayo Parmesan Chicken for up to 4 days. Any longer just store them in the freezer. Individually wrap chicken breasts in waxed paper or parchment. Place into freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible from bags seal, label and freeze for up to 4 months.
To reheat: Allow the chicken to thaw in the fridge for at least 8 hours, The chicken doesn’t need to be completely thawed, but must not be frozen solid.
- Preheat the oven to 225°F
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish with a rack. Add ¼ -½ cup of water or chicken broth to the bottom. Place the breasts on top of the rack. You do not want the chicken to be sitting in the liquid.
- Add a tin foil tent to the top of the dish. This will help keep the chicken moist. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. (bake time will depend on how frozen the breasts still are and how hot your oven runs)