Chunky, hearty and extremely flavorful, Recipe For Chicken With Tomato Sauce is one of the best chicken pasta recipes ever! It’s easy to throw together, filling and scrumptious!
The fastest way to prepare an excellent dish for 4-5 people, without a sweat, if within 15 minutes. Boneless chicken breasts are dredged in flour, mixed with salt and pepper, covered with boiling oil and baked in an oven.
Chicken in Tomato Sauce
3 hours 45 minutes
240 calories, 9 grams fat
Category: Non-Vegetarian Recipe
Course: Side-Dish Recipe
Cuisine: Indian Recipe
Technique: Stewed Recipe
- 1 full – chicken, cut into small pieces, skinless
- 1 cup – tomato puree
- 2 tbsp – ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tbsp – red chilli powder
- 1 cup – tomato ketchup
- 4-5 – green chillies
- coriander leaves, a few
- 1 big – red onion, sliced
- 20 leaves – curry leaves
- salt to taste
How to Make Chicken in Tomato Sauce
- Cut, clean, and dry chicken; marinate in ginger-garlic paste, tomato puree, ketchup, chilli powder, and salt for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oil and add the sliced onion and curry leaves; fry for 5 minutes. Add the marinated chicken with the sauce, cover with a lid, and let it cook in its own sauce.
- When the chicken is done, add slit green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rumali roti or naan.
Spanish Chicken With Tomato Sofrito Sauce
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)SAVE RECIPE
This Spanish-style recipe for chicken with tomato sofrito sauce is a go-to meal when you want something simple, fast, and delicious. It’s a one-pan, skillet dinner, making this a quick cleanup after dinner, too.
First, you’ll make the sauce with canned crushed tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Next, boneless, skinless chicken breast is pan-fried with Spanish olive oil. Finally, you get to combine all of the parts together for a quick-and-easy Spanish main course.
Serve the chicken and sofrito with Spanish-style homemade French fries or rice on the side.
Click Play to See This Easy Spanish Chicken With Tomato Sofrito Sauce Recipe Come Together
For the Sofrito:
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, or green bell pepper, seeded
- 3 cloves garlic
- 10 white mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth
- 1/3 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes, washed and pulsed in a food processor
- 2 bay leaves
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
Make the Sofrito
- Gather the ingredients.Chop the onion and bell pepper and reserve. Mince the garlic and reserve. Trim the stems from the mushrooms, slice the caps, and reserve.
- Pour half the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté over medium heat, stirring often until onions become translucent—about 7 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and their juices and bay leaves and stir. Simmer on medium to medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. If sauce becomes too thick or begins to stick, pour in a few tablespoons of water.
Cook the Chicken
- While the tomato sauce mixture is cooking, pour the other half of the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over a medium flame.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pan-fry the chicken in the hot oil, turning over twice (for about 10 minutes total cooking time). The chicken should be well-browned on both sides, but might not be completely cooked in the center, which is no cause for concern because it will finish cooking when added to the sauce.
- After pan frying the chicken, remove the pan from the heat. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board and cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices and return to the pan with tomato sauce. Stir to coat chicken breasts in tomato sauce.Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with rice or potatoes to sop up the delicious sauce. Alternatively, make Spanish French fries as the perfect side dish.
- Leftovers are never a problem because the sofrito sauce mellows and tastes even better the next day.
- Test the chicken for doneness with an instant-read thermometer. Chicken is done at 165 F.
How to Store and Freeze
- Put any leftover Spanish chicken in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator, where it will keep for up to three days.
- This dish can also be frozen for up to three months in a freezer-safe airtight container. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
What’s the Difference Between Spanish Sofrito and Italian Soffritto?
Both Spanish and Italian styles serve as the foundation for many dishes and are very similar with a few differences:
- The first Spanish sofrito was simply a confit of onions and/or leeks with bacon or salt pork added if they were available. Eventually, other vegetables were added to the mix. Today’s Spanish sofrito includes tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, paprika, and olive oil.
- Traditional Italian soffritto uses onion, carrot, celery, and sometimes garlic and peppers. The vegetables are chopped very fine and cooked slowly in olive oil.
SKILLET CHICKEN WITH OLIVES IN TOMATO SAUCE
Need a simple, quick & savory recipe for your busy weeknights? Try this chicken with olives in tomato sauce for a delicious, Italian inspired dish!
CHICKEN WITH OLIVES IN TOMATO SAUCE
Chicken is very popular in many families. If yours is one of those, try this super yummy chicken with olives in tomato sauce; your family will adore you and ask for seconds every time you make this recipe! Fast, easy and healthy, this dish makes a delicious weeknight meal, perfect for busy people.
This Italian inspired chicken with olives in tomato sauce is very savory, full of flavors and very eye catching with all those vibrant colors. Full of olives, tomatoes and tender pieces of skinless chicken breast, this recipe is well received even by picky eaters. A very satisfying recipe you just can’t go wrong with!
CHICKEN WITH OLIVES IN TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE
- 4 medium chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, each cut into 4 smaller pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper paste
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup black olives, diced
- about 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
You will also need:
- non stick skillet
- wood spatula
- meat fork
- In a large skillet, heat oil and roast chicken until golden, on both sides (about 2 minutes on each side).
- Add 1 cup of water (should slightly cover all meat).
- Cover with a lid and leave to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, bell pepper paste, garlic and salt & pepper to taste (if olives are too salty skip salt altogether).
- Add another cup of water, cover with lid and simmer on low for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add olives and 1 cup of water if and simmer for a few more minutes until happy with the thickness of the sauce.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve.