If you’re a fan of chicken dishes, then you should definitely try a recipe for chicken with pineapple. It’s a delicious dish that you’ll surely enjoy. If you’re looking for help with meal planning, this is a great option. With the right tools and guidance, even beginner chefs can make this dish. What you’re going to love about this recipe is how easy it is. But also, you should love the way it tastes given you love pineapple and chicken together.
We in the Delish Test Kitchen are obsessed with savory and sweet dishes, and one of our favorite ways to add a bit of bright sweetness to a dish is with pineapple. Though we love pineapple fried rice and these Hawaiian chicken skewers, this pineapple chicken stir fry may just take the crown. It has the tangy bite from the pineapple, a solid crunch from cashews, and a little kick of heat from jalapeño. What’s not to love?!
When it comes to using fresh versus canned pineapple, you really can’t go wrong. Canned pineapple provides convenience but lacks a fuller, brighter flavor. To perk it up a little, squeeze in a tablespoon of lemon juice. Fresh, ripe pineapple is often more fragrant, sweeter, and more flavorful, but will take a little longer to prep if you’re peeling and cubing a whole fruit.
Whichever one you choose to use, serve it over perfectly cooked rice alongside a tender green like bok choy and you’ll have a totally delicious and easy meal on the table in under 30 minutes. Want to take it a step further? Why not try our chicken teriyaki pineapple bowls, served straight in a pineapple half? For more sweet and sour flavors on the dinner table, we’ve also got a vegetarian-friendly sweet and sour cashew stir-fry!
If you tried your hand at making this salty-sweet stir fry, let us know how it came out in the comments below!
Editor’s note: The introduction to this recipe was updated on March 23, 2022 to include more information.
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 30 MINS
boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
red bell pepper, chopped
canned pineapple juice
low-sodium soy sauce
packed light brown sugar
cloves garlic, minced
jalapeño, minced (seeded if desired)
Thinly sliced scallions, for serving
Cooked white rice, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and cook until just tender, 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: in a small saucepan, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, garlic, and jalapeño and bring to a simmer.
- Make a slurry: In a small bowl whisk together 2 teaspoons water and cornstarch until smooth, then whisk into saucepan. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and let simmer 3 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cashews.
- Garnish with scallions and serve with rice and lime.
The Best Pineapple Chicken Recipe
If you are looking for a new recipe, this Pineapple Chicken Recipe is incredible. The pineapple and chicken come together for the best flavor. The meal is so easy that you can even make it during busy weeknights.
Pineapple Chicken Recipe
This recipe is so easy and requires very little work. Everyone will be impressed with how delicious this turns out. The entire family will absolutely love it.
The chicken is so tender and the pineapple juice makes the best broth. The combination of sweet and savory makes a great meal. It is so simple with canned pineapple and comes together really fast.
My family loves this so much they prefer this meal to takeout. I could literally eat the sauce by the spoonful. It is so amazing.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- red bell pepper
- pineapple chunks
- minced garlic
- ground ginger
- pineapple juice
- soy sauce
- chicken broth
- hoisin sauce
- brown sugar
- sesame seeds
- green onion
How to make pineapple chicken:
- First, get out a large skillet and add the oil over medium high heat. We used a cast iron skillet because they cook so evenly. However, use what you prefer.
- Then add the chicken to the pan. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Next, cook the chicken for about 4 to 6 minutes or until it is fully cooked. Be careful not to overcook the chicken.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, add the red peppers and pineapple. Cook this until the bell peppers are tender. If you like the bell peppers crispier, reduce the cook time. It is easy to adapt based on preference.
- Use a small mixing bowl and combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, broth, hoisin sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch. Combine this until well blended and you don’t see any clumps.
- Add the liquid to the skillet and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes until thickened. As soon as it has thickened, remove from the heat.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion. This is optional but adds to the flavor and looks pretty too.
Keep reading for the full recipe and detailed cook time.
How to make crockpot pineapple chicken:
- Combine the soy sauce, pineapple juice, broth, hoisin sauce, brown sugar and in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Next, put the chicken in the slow cooker. Pour the soy sauce mixture all over the meat.
- Then cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 7 to 8 hours.
- Once everything has finished cooking, use a small bowl and add the cornstarch to 2 tablespoons of water. Combine and pour into the crockpot.
- Whisk the sauce together and let this simmer in the crock pot until it has thickened to your preference. Then turn the slow cooker to warm.
Tip: It is not necessary but you can sear your chicken in a skillet prior to putting in the crock pot if you prefer.
Slow cooker pineapple chicken is perfect for those days when you will be away. It is super easy in the skillet but the crock pot is great for when you need to come home to dinner ready.
What to serve with pineapple chicken:
- Rice. The delicious sauce is so tasty over white or brown rice. We even freeze rice to make this meal even easier during the week. If you have an instant pot, try making instant pot rice for a quick side.
- Fried Rice. Only 10 minutes and this easy fried rice comes together fast.
- Steamed Broccoli. You can add an easy vegetable side dish in minutes thanks to this recipe.
- Substitute boneless chicken thighs for chicken breasts. It is an easy way to save money and just as delicious.
I have even mixed both together and it was good. My family never even noticed the difference.
- You can use fresh or canned pineapple in this recipe. Also, we used pineapple chunks but tidbits, crushed or even rings would work. Just use what you have.
- Add more vegetables. Toss in a handful of other bell peppers such as yellow and green. I think diced onion would be good as well. If you want to make this a one pot meal, add frozen broccoli to the mixture.
How to store leftovers?
Place inside an airtight container or bag. Store in the fridge up to 4 days.
Reheat in a skillet or in the microwave until heated through.
It makes a great lunch to enjoy later in the week. Everyone fights over leftovers.
Can you freeze this meal?
This is a great recipe for meal prep. Just toss the ingredients uncooked into a freezer bag.
Freeze up to 3 months until ready to cook. Thaw overnight in the fridge and cook the next day. No worries if you forget to thaw it. Just toss it right in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
If you have trouble getting it out of the bag, run water on the outside of the bag and it should come right out.
It really isn’t any trouble to double this recipe. I normally make one for dinner and the other for the freezer. Then I have another great meal to use on a busy day.
Since you already have all the ingredients out, it is very simple to make 2 portions.
Skip takeout and make this recipe.
It is super easy and goes from stove to table in about 30 minutes. You can’t get takeout in that amount of time. You can also use the crock pot version for days you will be way.
Plus, this recipe is so much better and you will save money. Try this and see just how simple it is. Your entire family will love it for a great meal without much work.
Print easy pineapple chicken recipe:
Pineapple Chicken Recipe
This delicious Pineapple Chicken Recipe is so simple and easy. The chicken is so tender and flavorful. Try Hawaiian Chicken Recipe today!
PREP TIME5 MINS
COOK TIME6 HRS
TOTAL TIME6 HRS 5 MINS
- ▢3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- ▢2 tsp vegetable oil
- ▢1/2 tsp Salt
- ▢1 tsp pepper
- ▢1 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- ▢1 cup Pineapple Chunks (fresh or canned)
- ▢1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ▢1/2 tsp ground ginger
- ▢1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
- ▢1/3 cup soy sauce
- ▢1/3 cup chicken broth
- ▢1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- ▢1/4 cup brown sugar
- ▢2 tsp cornstarch
- ▢1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- ▢2 green onions sliced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season it with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken for 4-6 minutes stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through. Then add in the red bell pepper and pineapple and cook for 3-5 minutes until the pepper is tender.
- Then in a small bowl. combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, chicken broth, hoisin sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch. Whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Pour this mixture into the skillet and bring to a low simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat once the sauce has thickened to your prefer.
- Serve topped with the sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
*You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in this recipe if you prefer.
*I love serving this as is or over white rice.
*Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5-7 days.
Calories 150kcal, Carbohydrates 20g, Protein 11g, Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 1g, Cholesterol 27mg, Sodium 913mg, Potassium 314mg, Fiber 1g, Sugar 16g, Vitamin A 526IU, Vitamin C 25mg, Calcium 36mg, Iron 1mg
Pineapple Chicken Recipe
This easy pineapple chicken recipe is a great family weeknight meal that is ready to serve in 30 minutes. The pineapple sauce is sweet and flavorful and it’s a great alternative to a takeaway.
The sauce for this recipe is sweet and full of pineapple flavor. There’s pineapple mixed with the chicken as well as pineapple juice in the sauce. It’s a wonderfully vibrant dish!
How To Make Pineapple Chicken
Be sure to scroll down to get the full recipe!
Prep – Gather your ingredients and chop the chicken and veggies.
Cook – Brown the chicken in a skillet and stir in the bell pepper.
Combine – Mix the sauce ingredients together and bring to a simmer in a small pan. Pour in the cornstarch slurry and simmer until thickened.
Make – Pour the sauce over the chicken and add the pineapple and cashews.
Serve – Serve over white rice and garnish with green onions and lime wedges.
What’s the best chicken to use?
I used boneless chicken thighs for this recipe. They are fuller on flavor and work really well with the sauce. You can of course use chicken breast if that’s what you have or prefer. If you can, use free run / organic chicken.
What do you serve it with?
I like to serve pineapple chicken with white rice. I just cook it while I’m making the chicken so that it’s all ready at the same time. You can also serve it with noodles, brown rice, cauliflower rice or a side of veggies.
If you are serving this for guests, it’s fun to serve it in a hollowed out pineapple!
Sweet and sticky pineapple sauce
The sauce on this pineapple chicken is to die for! It is wonderfully sweet and caramelized with hints of tang and salt. It takes no time at all to make it and it feels like such a treat! It’s so wonderfully thick and flavorful.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- When cooking your sauce, after you add your cornstarch let it simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Letting the sauce simmer for longer will let it get thicker.
- Use fresh or canned pineapple. It’s best to stay away from frozen as it contains too much water.
Switch things up
Prefer chicken breasts? You can also use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. The internal temperature would be the same (165F is when they’re done).