Ripe Mango Chutney is a delicious blend of ripe mangoes, red chillies, and mustard seeds. In my experience, it tastes best when made in autumn. Are you a fan of mango chutney? Perhaps you don’t enjoy the flavor or texture of this condiment. Whatever your position, have you ever thought about making your own mango chutney? Have no fear, in today’s post I show you how to make ripe mango chutney.
Mango chutney recipe
Mangoes in abundance, but smoothies making you blah? Make the recipe for the tart mango chutney and eat it with bread. Learn how to survive here.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Course: Dips and condiments
- wooden spatula
- 1 kg Ripe mangoes Yields 3 cups of chopped mango pieces.Ad more sugar if the mangoes are not too sweet.
- 2 tbsp. Coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- ¼ cup onion or 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. ginger crushed
- ¼ cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala adjust this as per your liking.
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¼ cup raisins or any dried berries, chopped.
- Place the chopped mango in a bowl.
- Onions and ginger are diced and added to hot oil in a sauce pan.
- Mangoes should be added to the pan once the onions are pink.
- Mix well.
- On a low temperature, combine the vinegar, sugar, garam masala, and cardamom powder. Cook until it boils.
- Add the raisins now, and stir well.
- Cook it for a while, until it has the consistency of chutney.
- Use a clean, dry spoon to serve, and store in a clean glass jar in the refrigerator for the upcoming few weeks.
Store it in refrigerator up to 1 week, in a glass jar.
In order to avoid scratching enamel cookware, always use a wooden spatula. Once the chutney has cooled, put it in the fridge.
Use use a dry, clean spoon to remove your chutney; else, it will quickly go bad.
- Prep time
- 10 mins
- Cook time
- 30 mins
- Total time
- 40 mins
Sweet and hot ripe mango chutney.
Recipe type: Chutney
- Ripe Mangoes (Alphonso or Kesar) : 2
- Ginger (minced) : 2 tbsp
- Raisins / Sultanas : ½ cup
- Dried red chillies (soaked in water) : 3-4
- Black peppercorns (crushed or whole) : 8-10
- Nigella / kalonji seeds : 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder : ½ tsp
- Roasted fennel seed powder : ½ tsp
- Roasted chilli powder : ½ tsp
- Jaggery powder : 3-4 tbsp or as per taste
- Black salt : a small pinch
- Lime juice : 1 tbsp
- Vegetable /olive oil : 1 tbsp
- Mangoes are washed, peeled, and then cut into cubes.
- The dried red chilies should be chopped up finely.
- Oil is heated in a pan. With nigella seeds, temper it. Mangoes should be added and sauteed for a few minutes.
- Ginger that has been finely minced should be added after thoroughly mixing everything.
- Red chillies that have been diced and all the other spices should be added to this.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and cook the mangoes until they are somewhat mushy.
- Black salt, jaggery, and raisins should be added.
- Reduce the mangoes to a sticky mixture.
- Add the lime juice, taste and season as needed, then let it cool.
- Serve the hot, sweet mango chutney alongside Indian flatbread or as a spread over sandwiches.
- It should be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in a sterilized jar.
- 4 large ripe mangoes
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 small red habanero (scotch bonnet) chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 tbsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Mangoes should be peeled before removing the flesh from the flat oval pit by using a sharp knife to slice along the mango’s flatter sides, on either side of the pit, and then around the edges. Large dice of diced flesh should be placed aside. Remove pits.
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a medium pot. Add the onions and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they start to soften. Stir thoroughly after adding the red bell peppers, ginger, garlic, and chilies. Salt, cumin, and mustard seeds are added while cooking for two to three minutes. Mangoes, raisins, lime juice, vinegar, and sugar should be added and cooked while stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 40 minutes, or until chutney resembles marmalade. Put chutney in sterilized jars and keep them in the fridge.
In India, mango chutney is a condiment. It goes nicely with curries, chicken, pig, beef, or lamb and is quite simple to prepare. made with spices and juicy mangoes. Spread over bread or use as a marinade!
What Is Mango Chutney?
The mango chutney is the most conventional chutney there is.
It has a pleasant flavor and is made of ripe mangoes. It tastes sour because of the vinegar. The dish contains dried chiles, so it is also hot.
Making mango chutney is quick and simple. It is produced from scratch and keeps for a few days or even weeks if chilled and stored in a jar.
Mango Chutney Recipe
This is an easy homemade recipe that you can make at home. The recipe ingredients are below:
- Ripe mangoes
- Spices such as cinnamon, cloves, cumin, coriander and cardamom pods
- Dried red chilies
- Sugar and salt
How to Make Mango Chutney?
The cooking procedure for this recipe is straightforward.
1 lb of ripe mangoes should first be diced before being cooked with the spices. A muslin cloth should be used to bind the spices.
Add all the remaining ingredients, including vinegar, salt, sugar, dried chiles, and boil until the mangoes break up and become thick.
Allow to cool and store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to a few weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Mango Chutney Indian?
Chutneys are essentials in daily Indian meals whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner.
They come in all forms and differ in taste and texture depending on the ingredients used and the cooking method.
Is Mango Chutney Low Calories?
As chutney is sweet, many people wonder if it is low in calories.
My recipe is only 249 calories. Spread it on sandwiches, use it as a marinade, with steak, chicken, lamb or as a dipping sauce.
It’s also used as a base for Indian curries which adds great dimensions to the flavors.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe serves 4 people. It is only 214 calories per serving.
What is mango chutney used for?
You can serve it with cheese or in sandwiches. Water it down to make glaze on meat.
How was chutney invented?
It was invented in India and has been around since 500BC.
Sweet and hot ripe mango chutney and issues of food safety in India