After experimenting with seasoning ground beef for lasagna many different ways, I’ve come up with 2 seasoning combinations that are amazing and versatile. The first uses Italian seasonings that are more of a one-note seasoning, while the second uses a blend that is more complex.
You can use either ground beef or ground pork in this recipe. A good substitute for the ham is a finely chopped or shredded turkey.
Classic and Simple Meat Lasagna
This lasagna with ground beef and whole wheat noodles is an easy, yet hearty family-pleasing dish.
Clasic and Simple Meat Lasagna
In this video, we’ll show you the basics on how to make a classic meat lasagna. In this version, we use whole wheat lasagna noodles and layer them with seasoned lean ground beef, a simple cottage cheese mixture and for ease, a jar of tomato-basil pasta sauce. A sprinkling of mozzarella cheese goes over the top and a 40-minute bake in the oven will finish this up.
1 hr 35 mins
1 9×13-inch lasagna
Original recipe yields 8 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 ½ cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
ADD ALL INGREDIENTS TO SHOPPING LIST
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 2Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place ground beef, garlic, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until beef is crumbly and evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Step 4Mix cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Step 5Lay 4 noodles side by side on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan; top with a layer of prepared tomato-basil sauce, a layer of ground beef mixture, and a layer of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice more, ending with a layer of sauce; sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Step 6Bake in the preheated oven until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese has begun to brown, about 10 more minutes. Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
I Made It Print
501 calories; protein 35.6g; carbohydrates 47.1g; fat 19.3g; cholesterol 114.5mg; sodium 999mg.
EASY MEAT LASAGNA
- ADD TO MEAL PLANNER
No precooking is required for the lasagna noodles in this lasagna recipe with ground beef. The noodles cook to tender perfection while the dish bakes in the oven. If you’re not in the mood for a meaty beef lasagna recipe, try our traditional cheese lasagna.Read More
INGREDIENTS 12 Servings
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, (2 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
MCCORMICK® GARLIC POWDER
MCCORMICK® PARSLEY FLAKES
MCCORMICK® PERFECT PINCH® ITALIAN SEASONING
MCCORMICK® PURE GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Brown ground beef and sausage in large skillet on medium heat; stirring occasionally. Drain fat. Stir 4 cups spaghetti sauce into meat mixture. Reserve remaining spaghetti sauce for serving.
- 2Beat eggs in large bowl. Add ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well.
- 3Spread about 1 cup of the meat sauce onto the bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish; top with 3 noodles. Spread half of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Repeat meat sauce, noodles and cheese layer once. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce, making sure to cover noodles with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
- 4Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes longer or until noodles are tender. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with reserved spaghetti sauce.
Classic Lasagna Recipe with Ground Beef
This Classic Lasagna Recipe with Ground Beef is such an easy way to make homemade lasagna.
Once the family tastes this traditional beef lasagna recipe, they’re going to be “patiently” waiting for seconds. Made with a ton of cheese and a cook time of only 30 minutes, you can bet that this classic lasagna recipe is going to be a family favorite dinner every time.
Classic Lasagna Recipe with Ground Beef
Did I mention that my kids literally beg me to make this lasagna recipe with beef? Full out beg. (and I”m not gonna lie – I want it too but I just want to hear them ask for it!)
This ground beef lasagna is easy to prep and even quicker to cook. I can promise you one bite of this simple lasagna recipe will have you hooked as well. Who knew that lasagna could be so easy?
Why We Love This Recipe
- Makes a large portion to feed a family or a large crowd
- Similar to this Instant Pot Taco Lasagna that we love, too!
Ingredients / Shopping List
- ground beef
- onion, chopped
- garlic, minced
- olive oil
- San Marzano tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- mozzarella cheese, grated (can use more)
- ricotta cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- lasagna pasta, you will only need about 15 noodles
Substitutions and Additions
Ground Beef: If you want to cut down on the fat content, you can always use ground turkey instead.
Red Pepper Flakes: Adding red pepper flakes is a super simple way to add a bit of spicy heat!
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- Glass Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowl
How to Make Classic Lasagna
If you’ve ever been hesitant to make lasagna at home, this is the perfect recipe to try!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add olive oil to pan and sauté the meat.
Drain the fat out of the meat and add in the garlic. Cook until you smell the garlic.
Drain the tomatoes and add them to the ground beef. Add sugar and cook the mixture until it is bubbling.
Cook your noodles according to the direction on the noodle package.
Mix the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1 egg in a bowl until combined.
Put a layer of sauce in a 9X13 pan. Add a layer of lasagna noodles on top, then add a layer of the sauce. Next put on a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture and then add on a lot of mozzarella cheese. Next another layer of noodles, then more meat sauce, then more ricotta cheese, and another layer of mozzarella. Finish up with one more layer of noodles, followed by a layer of sauce, and lastly more cheeses.
Pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the sauce bubbling.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Limit the layers: You can always cut down on some of the layers or you can change up the order of the layers, too. I would always suggest having the cheese layer on top though!
- Don’t overcook the noodles. Pay close attention to the directions on the box to be certain.
- Mix up the cheese by using mozzarella and a Colby jack blend for a bit of a different flavor.
How to store leftover lasagna
If you’re lucky enough to have lasagna leftover, just put a lid on it and pop it into the fridge. It should keep for several days without issue.
How to reheat lasagna
There are a few ways to reheat lasagna. Low and slow in the oven is a great option but you can also reheat a portion in the microwave, too. (just be certain to cover as it will splatter in the microwave!)
Can you freeze lasagna?
Lasagna is the perfect freezer-friendly meal. The key is to freeze it BEFORE you bake it and I do this all the time. Then when you’re ready to eat, you just have to take it out and pop in the oven to bake.