Slow cooker chicken with cream of chicken soup is an extremely simple recipe for making chicken breasts in the slow cooker. It’s a very basic, yet cheap and delicious recipe that you should definitely try. This is one of those family recipes for slow cooker chicken with cream of canned soup that my Grandma used to make.
Mum’s slow-cooker creamy chicken soup
- 20m prep
- 4h 35m cook
- 4 servings
Bring out the slow cooker to make this creamy one-pot chicken soup. It tastes just like mum’s classic recipe and is the perfect way to beat the winter chill.
744 calories per serve
- 12 Ingredients
- 4 Method Steps
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 (800g) chicken lovely legs
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, quartered lengthways, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1cm-thick pieces
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1.5 litres Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3/4 cup dried risoni
- 200ml tub double thick cream
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 110g packet cheddar cheese twists, to serve
- Select all ingredients
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
We are temporarily pausing click-to-cart functionality due to a technical issue. We will resume as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.
- Step 1Heat oilUnsure of the quantity needed?Click on the underlined ingredient to reveal the quantity. No need to flip back and forth!OK, GOT IT in a flameproof slow cooker bowl over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer bowl to slow cooker. Add leek, carrot, celery, thyme and stock. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Step 2Using tongs, carefully remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a board. Place cornflour in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup soup mixture. Stir until smooth. Add cornflour mixture and pasta to slow cooker. Cover with lid. Cook on high for a further 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Step 3Meanwhile, remove and discard bones from chicken. Shred meat. Add to soup with cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover with lid. Cook on high for a further 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Step 4Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with extra thyme and lemon zest. Serve with twists.
EASY CREAMY CROCKPOT CHICKEN RECIPE
This creamy crockpot chicken recipe is an easy slow cooker recipe that is also kid-friendly. Did I mention the prep time for this slow cooker dinner is 8 minutes?
No wonder this easy crock pot recipe and our Crispy Leftover Chicken and Shells are our most popular chicken recipes.
As a bonus, we show you how to convert this into a fast Instant Pot Creamy Chicken. (You can make it in the oven as well!)
Now let’s find out how to make this easy family dinner, time’s a-ticking!
WHAT IS THIS?
Have you ever taken a scavenger hunt in your freezer? Dan did last night and found some frozen chicken tenderloins. He was nice enough to take them out and put them in the fridge. And behold, this easy crockpot recipe was born!
But, I did not discover this until 10 minutes before I left for work this morning. I’m always trying to make up new kid-friendly recipes. I wondered what sort of recipe I could make in less than 10 minutes before I left for work?
The end result is an amazing family dinner. Kids love this meal and adults love this meal. What other easy recipe could be better for a busy mom or dad?
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS
- A crock-pot or slow cooker
- Boneless skinless chicken
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Minced garlic
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Onion powder
- Bag of mixed frozen vegetables
- Egg noodles
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken – Just 8 Minute Prep TimePlay Video
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine the soup, shredded cheese, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and water, in a crock-pot.
- Add the boneless skinless breasts and turn your crock-pot on low.
- You may also use a pound of tenderloin.
- Stir in frozen veggies 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve over egg noodles
- Garnish and serve!
It’s hard to sneak healthy vegetables into kids’ food. The frozen veggies are a game-changer if you’re short on time.
Finally, this creamy crockpot chicken is an ideal choice if you want to contribute a meal to your local homeless shelter. We have more Ideas for Making Meals for the Homeless as well.
- Set the slow cooker on low, when adding the ingredients.
- Omit carrots and noodles to cut carbs.
- Substitute chopped onions or dry onion soup mix for onion powder.
- You can also use cream of mushroom soup.
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes. Bake at 400° in a covered baking dish, such as a Dutch Oven.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts for this?
We don’t recommend putting frozen poultry in a crockpot, although many people will do this.
Can I use mayonnaise instead of sour cream for this recipe?
Yes, but add it at the end, just prior to serving.
Does the poultry need to be cut up before placing it in the crock-pot?
No. You can use whole boneless skinless breasts for this crockpot recipe.
Can I make this recipe in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can convert this into an instant pot recipe! Read on below.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
Use the same ingredients to make this instant pot recipe in about 30 minutes!
- Place 1 to 2 lbs boneless skinless breasts in the instant pot.
- Add 1 cup of broth.
- For frozen breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 6 minutes.
- For thawed breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural release of 6 minutes for both frozen and thawed meat.
- If using frozen vegetables, thaw them in a sink of warm water them to the instant pot.
- Remove the poultry from the Instant Pot after a 6-minute natural release, tent with foil, and set aside, reserving liquid.
- For the pasta, either prepare it according to the package instructions on the stovetop or in the instant pot.
- If using the Instant Pot for cooking the pasta, add 12 oz of pasta to the reserved liquid.
- Add tap water to cover the pasta by ½ an inch.
- Pressure cook on manual setting for 2 minutes and use a quick release.
- Stir in the cheese, vegetables, and sour cream and the cooked poultry to the Instant Pot and serve.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
- I used about 4 cups of shredded cheese in this version.
- Instead of onion powder, I used a teaspoon of minced garlic.
- I added a pinch of kosher salt.
- Make it your own and use what you have on hand!
- You don’t have to serve this over egg noodles. Any starch will go with this, like our homemade potato dumplings.
CROCK POT CREAMY RANCH CHICKEN
Creamy Ranch Chicken is a crock pot favorite of ours. Savory and creamy ranch chicken, potatoes and carrots are all slow cooked together for one delicious meal!
I love my crock pot. I use it ALL the time and definitely year round. Slow cookers are little life savers, especially on busy days! It’s such a good feeling to get dinner prepped and out of the way first thing in the morning. The extra bonus is smelling it cook all day!
This Creamy Ranch Chicken is a crock pot favorite of ours. It’s dinner all in one! You have your meat, potatoes and veggie all cooked and ready to eat once the time is up. I love that!
Not only is this recipe super convenient it is delicious. The ranch flavor is just perfect. Not too overpowering at all. My kids devour this and so does my hubby. It’s on the dinner rotation often at my house. 🙂
Crock Pot Creamy Ranch Chicken
Delicious creamy ranch chicken, potatoes and carrots slow cooked in the crock pot. This makes for a great family meal!
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time5 hours
Total Time5 hours 15 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 medium Russet potatoes cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 can (23 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet (1 ounce) dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- fresh chopped parsley optional
- Spray a large crock pot (I use a 7 quart) with non-stick spray. Place cut potatoes and baby carrots in the bottom of crock pot. Lay chicken breasts over the top. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream of chicken soup, dry ranch dressing mix and milk. Pour this mixture evenly over the chicken. Cover with lid and cook on High heat 5 to 6 hours OR on Low heat 8 to 9 hours.
- Top each serving with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.