This slow cooker shredded beef for tacos could not be any easier to make and freezes perfectly! If you’re looking for some delicious casserole recipes, here are 25 Easy Casserole Recipes.Are you looking for a fool proof way to prepare and cook dinner? Guess what…you found it! In this article, you’ll discover the easiest and most delicious shredded beef for tacos.
Slow cooker shredded beef tacos
This fresh and easy beef taco recipe is a game-changer for when you need something simple and delicious for a busy midweek dinner. Throw the beef in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a satisfying dinner on the table in minutes – and the leftovers (if there are any) make a perfect next-day work lunch.
Shredded beef tacos
- 1 kilogram piece beef chuck steak
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded beef tacos
- 1Rub beef with combined spices; place in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Pour over combined stock, paste, chilli and garlic. Cook, covered, on low, for 6 hours.
- 2Remove beef from cooker. When cool enough to handle, shred meat coarsely using two forks. Discard half the liquid from slow cooker. Return meat to cooker; season to taste.
- 3Serve shredded beef in tortillas.
SLOW COOKER MEXICAN SHREDDED BEEF
So tender, juicy and flavorful… this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is a MUST MAKE for your next taco night. Let your crock pot do the work!
But don’t just limit this amazing beef to tacos. It’s awesome with nachos, burritos, quesadillas, or use it as a filling in enchiladas… or you can just eat it with a fork like I do sometimes. It’s that good!
Have you seen all the rave reviews on my Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef?! Well, this is basically the same recipe but slow cooks to perfection. It’s impossible to resist!
- Beef chuck roast – 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.
- Beef broth
- Dried herbs and spices – salt, black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Salsa – use your favorite homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought brand.
- Olive oil – for searing the beef roast.
HOW TO PREPARE
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
Step 1 – Whisk together the herbs and seasonings with beef broth in a small bowl.
Step 2 – Sear the roast in a large skillet on the stove top. Please note that searing the roast is not absolutely necessary, but it does add a little more flavor. So if you’re in a hurry you can most definitely skip this step!
Step 3 – Place the seared roast in your slow cooker insert and pour the seasoned broth mixture and salsa over the roast. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours, or on high heat for 4 hours (or until tender).
Step 4 – Transfer the roast to a platter, rimmed baking sheet or cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Discard any fat. Skim off any fat that has risen in the liquid in the slow cooker. Remove liquid from slow cooker to leave about 1 1/2 cups (or you can leave it all if you want it super juicy!).
Step 5 – Return the shredded beef back to the crock pot and toss with liquid to coat.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
The most tender, juicy and flavorful pulled Mexican beef prepared in your slow cooker!
Course: Slow Cooker
Keyword: slow cooker Mexican shredded beef
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 ½ to 3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup prepared salsa your favorite!
- Whisk together salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and beef broth in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides until golden brown (using large tongs to flip roast). *
- Place the roast in a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour beef broth mixture over roast evenly. Top with salsa. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours (or until tender).
- Carefully remove roast from slow cooker and place on a platter, cutting board or rimmed baking sheet. Shred using 2 forks, discarding any fat.
- Skim off any fat that has risen in the liquid in the slow cooker. Remove liquid from slow cooker to leave about 1 ½ cups (or leave all the liquid if you prefer it very juicy). Return shredded beef to liquid mixture and toss to coat with liquid as evenly as possible.
- *Searing the roast is not necessarily a required step, but does add a little more flavor.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
A super easy recipe with minimal ingredients these Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos are a tasty and filling meal that is great for any day of the week!
Tacos! Who doesn’t love them, if you don’t I don’t think that we can be friends – just kidding. Tacos to me are life! These Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos are one of my favorites.
I love utilizing my slow cooker all year long and these tacos are one of our regularly made weeknight meals that we all love in our household.
They are full of flavor but without using a whole bunch of ingredients. No marinating involved, just sear, dump, shred and you are set! You really can’t get much easier than that.
We have been making these Shredded Beef Tacos for many years now and I hardly ever stray from this recipe. You know how it goes, once you find that perfect combination you just stick with it.
That is the case for these. The flavors are amazing, there is so much you can do with the meat besides just the tacos and they feed a whole family no problem!
Top these with any of your favorite taco toppings and you are set to go! These really can be customized to your liking and that is the best part.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- This uses minimal ingredients but creates great flavor.
- Use any of your favorite taco shells for these.
- The meat can be used for more than just tacos.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED (FULL RECIPE BELOW):
Tortillas, for serving
Taco toppings, for serving
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SHREDDED BEEF TACOS:
- Season the roast on both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil. Sear the roast on both sides so you get a good sear, we are looking for a deep golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Place the roast into a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle the garlic powder and onion powder on top.
- Pour the salsa directly on top of the roast. Place on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours, until shreddable.
- Take the roast out of the slow cooker. Shred the meat, discarding any fatty bits.
- Place the shredded meat back into the slow cooker and stir it with the juices in the cooker.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve immediately in tortillas and your favorite taco toppings.
DO I HAVE TO SEAR THE MEAT?
You can skip the searing step, still, season the roast with salt and pepper. I highly suggest you do sear the meat, it adds a ton of extra flavor as it locks those juices inside.
WHAT KIND OF BEEF IS BEST FOR TACOS?
We love using a chuck roast for this as it is a cheaper cut of beef and makes a great shred when cooked in the slow cooker. Others that you can use are skirt steak or brisket, but those come at higher price points.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THE MEAT?
So, like I said this meat is great for other things than tacos. Some other ideas that you can use this for include nachos, burritos, taco bowls, quesadillas, and more!
This can work in so much, just use it for whatever you’d think would taste great with it. There really are no limitations on this.
HOW TO STORE:
This Mexican Shredded Beef Recipe can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container where it will keep for up to 4-5 days.
This can also be frozen, let your beef cool completely and then transfer beef and juices into a freezer bag. This will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Let defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then you can reheat on low in the crockpot for 1-2 hours or in the microwave until heated through.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Use your favorite taco shells for this, we usually use either corn or flour tortillas.
- This can be topped with any of your favorite taco toppings so have fun with it!
- You do not have to sear your meat, but it is highly recommended,
- This can be cooked on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Chuck roast is our go-to for this recipe, see other options above.
- The meat can be used for various different dishes, again see above for different ideas.
- This can be frozen, see my tips above on how to do that.