In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make sweet and sour chicken with rice. This is a quick, easy and affordable dish with a Chinese touch. A simple dish enjoyed by many nations, Sweet and Sour Chicken is often made with a sugary sauce served on the side. But that’s not how they do it in China! Here, it’s served over sticky rice. Let me know your favorites in the comments, and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter below.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Restaurant style Sweet and Sour Chicken is made with baked chicken, bell peppers, onion, pineapple, and a quick and easy Sweet and Sour Sauce. It’s easy to make and even your pickiest eaters will be going back for more.
I love to serve sweet and sour chicken with steamed rice, chow mein or Ham Fried Rice. Make sure to check out our other easy Chinese food recipes!
Who doesn’t love sweet and sour chicken, am I right?! It’s one of my favorite things to order at a good Chinese restaurant—but I’ll put emphasis on the “GOOD restaurant” part of that statement. If you’ve ever ordered sweet and sour chicken from a mediocre Chinese restaurant, it could completely ruin the dish for you.
It’s just one of those dishes that I’m picky about I guess. It’s easy to tell if it was made using a bottled sauce, or a homemade sauce; there’s a huge difference in taste!
This homemade sweet and sour sauce is a total winner. I can’t tell you how many recipes for sweet and sour chicken I’ve tried over the last few years and most were to ketchup-y and others were too vinegar-y. This sweet and sour sauce has the perfect blend of flavors and seasoning for the chicken.
How to make baked Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- Coat in cornstarch: cut the chicken into one inch chunks and season it with salt and pepper. Add it and cornstarch to a large ziplock bag and shake to coat each piece evenly.
2. Dip in eggs: In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Dip the chicken pieces in the eggs and place them carefully in a hot skillet. Once they are golden brown on the outside (but still raw inside), place them on a large baking sheet.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Sauté veggies: In the meantime, add bell peppers and onion to the skillet and cook them for a few minutes. Add the pineapple.
5. Add sauce: In a small bowl, mix all the the sauce ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce. Pour the sauce over the veggies and cook until the sauce is thickened.
6. Toss everything together including chicken on the sheet pan until evenly coated.
Serve immediately with hot cooked white rice, brown rice, or even a side of fried rice!
How to make Sweet and Sour Sauce:
In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce together (sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and cornstarch). Stir to combine. I like to pour the sweet and sour sauce over bell peppers, onions, and pineapple and serve it with hot baked chicken as sweet and sour chicken.
Make ahead instructions:
Thaw and cut the chicken ahead of time and store it in a ziplock in the refrigerator until ready to add the cornstarch. Make the sauce 1-2 days a head of time and store it in the fridge. You can also cut up the veggies ahead of time to make this a supper fast meal!
Sweet & Sour Chicken With Rice
The ultimate takeaway classic – made at home. You’ll sear chicken breast to tender perfection, smother it in tangy sweet and sour sauce and serve over fluffy white rice.
For 2 people [double for 4]
- 2 British chicken breast portions
- 130g white long grain rice
- 1 yellow pepper
- 15ml rice vinegar
- 15ml Chinese rice wine
- 25g chilli jam
- 15g fresh root ginger
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 30ml soy sauce †
- 10ml tomato ketchup
- 1 spring onion
- 25g honey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 brown onion
You’ll also need
For 2 people [double for 4]
- 1. Before you start cooking, take your chicken out of the fridge, open the packet and let it airRinse the white long grain rice until the water runs clear, then add it to a pot with a lid with 225ml [450ml] cold water and bring to the boil over a high heatOnce boiling, reduce the heat to very low and cook, covered, for 12-15 min or until the rice is cooked, then remove from the heat and set aside (lid on) to steam until serving
- 2. Meanwhile, cut the chicken breast portions into bite-sized piecesAdd the chopped chicken to a bowl with the cornflour and mix until the chicken is coated in the flourHeat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a generous drizzle of vegetable oil over a high heatOnce hot, add the coated chicken and cook for 6-7 min or until golden and crispy all over, reserving the bowl and any excess cornflour for later – this is your crispy chicken
- 3. While the chicken is cooking, boil half a kettleDeseed the yellow pepper[s] (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and cut into small piecesPeel and cut the brown onion[s] into small piecesPeel (scrape the skin off with a teaspoon) and finely chop (or grate) the gingerPeel and finely chop the garlic
- 4. Once the chicken is crispy, transfer it to a plate and set aside for later, then return the pan to a medium heatAdd the chopped pepper and onion and cook for 5-6 min or until starting to softenOnce softened, add the chopped garlic and ginger and cook for 1 min or until fragrant
- 5. While the vegetables are cooking, combine 1 tsp [2 tsp] reserved cornflour in a bowl with 100ml [150ml] boiled waterAdd the tomato ketchup, Chinese rice wine, chilli jam, honey, soy sauce and rice vinegar and mix until smooth – this is your sweet & sour sauc6. Increase the heat to highReturn the crispy chicken to the pan with the sweet & sour sauce and cook for 2-3 min further or until a thick sauce remains – this is your sweet & sour chicken
- 7. Trim, then slice the spring onion[s]Serve the sweet & sour chicken over the cooked rice and garnish with the sliced spring onionEnjoy!
EASY SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME10 mins
TOTAL TIME20 mins
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Minute® White Rice or Minute® Brown Rice
- Short on time? There’s no need to order takeout! Minute® Rice has you covered with this Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. This takeout style dish is sure to become everyone’s favorite weekday meal!Step 1
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is browned.Step 2
- Add vegetables, pineapple chunks and their juice and the sweet and sour sauce to skillet. Stir in water. Bring mixture to a boil.Step 3
- Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Half Sweet, Half Sour, 100% Easy
Dinner doesn’t get much simpler than our Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken! This recipe is ready in just 20 minutes and, aside from rice, water, and a bit of cooking oil, it only requires 4 simple ingredients. How about that for quick and easy?
Better yet, the simple ingredients you need are all easy to find in your local market. You’ll need frozen stir-fry vegetables, one can of pineapple chunks with juice, sweet and sour sauce, and boneless, skinless chicken breast.
This recipe serves up to four guests. Or, make it for two hungry diners, and you’ll have enough for seconds or for lunch the following day.
Cook up this classic sweet and sour chicken dinner tonight for the perfect weekday meal. If you are looking for meat-free meal options, once you give this Vegetarian Fried Rice with Egg recipe a try, it will become part of your weekly rotation!
The Right Rice
It’s no surprise that every rice dish requires specific grains. From white rice to our wild and brown rice mix, it can be hard to choose which one to use. For this recipe, we’ve chosen our Minute® White Rice. It has an optimal cooking time and its fluffy grains are a great complement to the recipe’s sticky sauce.
However, you can also make this dish with our Minute® Brown Rice, if you’re looking to boost your diet with a dose of whole grains.