Last year we completely swapped out our hot sauce for a new one called Sweet Habanero Wing Sauce. It’s a great tasting hot sauce that we love. But there’s more. Here is our attempt to convince you to try this sauce from the perspective of how it compares against two other sauces.
Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
A recipe for spicy chicken wings seasoned and baked to the perfect crispiness, then tossed with sweet pepper jam and habanero peppers. Easy to make and perfect for game day. Or any day!
Game day is just around the corner. Wow, it came on quick! Are you all ready for the Super Bowl? As you all know, I’m not hugely into the game, but I ALWAYS look forward to the game day food table. I’m usually the one cooking, and chicken wings are an essential part of that day, at least the way I see it!
Don’t you agree? A game day table just isn’t a game day table without some chicken wings. But not just any old chicken wings. Let’s make something different this year, shall we? I got you covered. We’re talking Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings.
As the name implies, they are nice and sticky from the finishing glaze and also quite spicy from the inclusion of fruity habanero peppers, which I absolutely LOVE.
Habaneros all the way! They’re pretty hot for most people, but habanero peppers have really gone mainstream in the last decade or so, so most people have had them in some form or another.
Making them is very easy, which, you know, I LOVE easy! Let’s discuss!
How To Make Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings – The Recipe Method
First, season your dried chicken wings with your rub mixture. In this case, I used a mix of baking powder (this helps with the crispiness by drawing out moisture), garlic powder, cayenne, mustard powder, basil, celery salt, and salt and pepper. You can easily use your own preferred blend.
Once they’re seasoned, bake them for 30 minutes at 250 degrees F., then flip them and bake them another 30 minutes at 425 degrees F. This will get them nice and crispy. If you feel you’d like them crispier, hit them with the broiler a couple minutes. Yeah!
For your glaze, heat up your pepper jam, agave nectar or honey, butter and minced habanero peppers with a dash of salt. You don’t want to boil it, just incorporate it until you have a thin glaze.
Toss your cooked wings with the glaze and serve them up. These are SO GOOD! My stomach literally just growled as I was writing this. I guess I didn’t make enough wings for myself! Dang! Easy enough to remedy. Guess I’m off to make another batch.
Mango Habanero Chicken Wings
Mango Habanero Chicken Wings are baked until crispy and then coated in a sweet, spicy, and tangy sauce.
PREP: 15 mins
COOK: 50 mins
- ▢1 1/2 to 2 pounds chicken wings
- ▢2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ▢1 tablespoon baking powder
- ▢1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ▢1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢1/2 cup pureed mango, (1 mango)
- ▢2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ▢2 to 3 habanero peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ▢1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- ▢2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ▢2 tablespoons honey
- ▢1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ▢1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ▢2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- ▢Ranch or blue cheese dressing, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it well with cooking spray.
- Separate the wings into 3 pieces, discarding the wing tips. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Place wings in a large bowl. Add flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Stir to coat wings evenly.
- Place wings skin side down on prepared baking sheet.Place in oven for 45 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- While wings bake, prepare Mango Habanero Sauce. Process mango puree, garlic and peppers in food processor until garlic and peppers are very finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and add vinegar, brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, and paprika. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- After wings have baked for 45 minutes, brush them with sauce and return to oven for 5 minutes.Brush them again with sauce and serve with any leftover sauce for dipping.If desired, serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
I recommend wearing gloves when you chop the habanero peppers so you don’t get any on your hands.
Process a peeled, pitted mango in a food processor until smooth. Then meaure out 1/2 cup of puree.
Sticky Habanero Wings
Sticky Habanero Wings are sweet, spicy, and addictive. Perfectly baked wings topped with a sweet, sticky glaze featuring homemade habanero sauce.
PREP TIME15 mins
COOK TIME45 mins
CourseAppetizer, Main Course
Homemade Habanero Sauce
- 2 large habanero peppers, chopped with seeds
- 1/4 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
Sticky Habanero Wings
- 1.5 lb fresh wings
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp Homemade habanero sauce (or 2 tsp store bought sauce)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks chopped green onion (scallions), for garnish
- Make the Homade Habanero Sauce. Combine ingredients for homemade habanero sauce in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and allow sauce to cool. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean chicken wings and pat dry. To a large bowl, add chicken wings, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and 1 tbsp of oil. Use a spatula to stir until all the wings have been coated. Transfer wings to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until wings are fully cooked.
- Prepare the sticky habanero glaze. While wings are baking, prepare the glaze. To a small bowl, add 2 tbsp of homemade habanero sauce, maple syrup, honey, and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil to large skillet and heat over high heat. Add cooked wings to skillet and allow them to cook until caramelized, about 4 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low and carefully add glaze. The glaze will start to bubble up and become froathy, so working quickly, use a spatula to coat the wings in the glaze. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until glaze thickens and adheres to the wings.
- Remove wings from skillet. Top with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
CRISPY MANGO HABANERO WINGS
These Crispy Mango Habanero Wings are sweet, tangy and spicy! They make the perfect, fun appetizer or side and are ready in 30 minutes. You only need less than 10 ingredients to make these chicken wings and they can be served at parties and other large gatherings.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Today’s recipe is a summer flavor combo- Mango Habanero. To make these wings simply deep-fry or pan-fry chicken wings and toss them in Mango Habanero sauce. If you are a fan of the sweet-spicy flavor combo, this is the recipe for you. Mango Habanero sauce is popular in the Caribbean and Mexico made with juicy mangoes, habaneros, garlic and more. Add this dish to your next menu and enjoy tasty tropical flavors in every bite!
Chicken wings are one of the most versatile and easy dishes to prepare. There are so many things you can do with chicken wings- you can customize them with your favorite ingredients and spices, boil, bake, roast, grill and even deep fry them. The options are endless!
One of my favorite things about chicken wings is the opportunity it gives me to explore different flavor combinations. Some of my favorite spice combos have been discovered after using them as a spice rub for chicken wings! Some of these include BBQ wings and Buffalo wings.
CRISPY MANGO HABANERO WINGS INGREDIENTS
As mentioned earlier, this recipe does not require a lot of ingredients and you can easily source the ingredients for this recipe. In fact, you probably have most of the ingredients already!
- Chicken Wings: This can either be fresh or frozen chicken wings. If you are using frozen chicken wings, make sure it is fully defrosted before seasoning.
- Baking powder: It makes the wings a crispy and helps give the wings some texture to hold the mango habanero sauce once it is added.
- Salt: To taste
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder works best because it is easy to mix with other dry ingredients for the wings. If you don’t have garlic powder, consider using minced garlic as an alternative.
- Onion powder: Just like the garlic powder, onion powder is best for this recipe because it can easily mix in with the dry ingredients. If you don’t have onion powder, you can use grated onions as an alternative.
- Paprika: Regular or smoked paprika would work fine for this recipe.
- Mango Habanero sauce: This is the most important ingredient and the reason why our recipe is a Mango Habanero chicken wing recipe. You can easily purchase this Mango- Habanero sauce at most supermarkets or if you can’t find it at a supermarket, try online stores like Amazon. Alternatively, you can make your own from scratch!
HOW TO MAKE MANGO HABANERO WINGS
The first step in this recipe is to prep the chicken wings. You will need to wash, chop and dry the chicken wings. Make sure you pat the chicken wings dry using a paper towel or leave them to dry. This ensures that chicken wings are crispy.
The next step is to mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Toss the chicken in the dry ingredients, making sure the chicken wings are fully coated with the dry ingredients.
Next, fry the chicken wings. You can do this either over a stovetop or with a deep fryer. The most important thing is that you deep fry the chicken.
Fry the chicken for about 7 minutes or until golden brown. You can check if they are done by removing one wing from the oil and cutting into it. The flesh should be white and moist.
Once the chicken is fried, it is time for the final step. Heat the Mango Habanero sauce in a pan. Add chicken and toss the chicken wings inside the sauce making sure it is fully coated.
Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish with a wedge of lime, sour cream and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
- Dry wings: It is really important that you pat the chicken wings dry. Use either a kitchen towel or paper towels for this step. If there is water on your chicken, it will be difficult for the dry ingredients to stick and the wings won’t be crispy. If your chicken wings contain water, it will splash during the frying process and this can be dangerous in terms of kitchen safety.
- Seasoning: Make sure the dry ingredients coat the chicken fully. Remember the dry ingredients flavor the chicken wings and make them crispy.
- Fry wings: Deep fry chicken wings in a saucepan, pan or using a deep fryer. Alternatively, you can bake the wings for a healthier, less greasy alternative.
- Sauce: You can use homemade mango habanero sauce or use a ready made version bought from the store.
Does mango habanero taste like mango?
Mango Habanero contains mangoes and as such will have a slight mango taste to it. The mango taste is not overwhelming and it blends well with the spices in the sauce.
How spicy are sweet mango habanero wings?
Mango Habanero wings are about a medium level of heat (around 4/10, 5/10 on the heat scale. It has a subtle, tingly punch to it. It may be considered really spicy for those who don’t like spicy food but for those who are used to spicy foods, it may be considered pretty mild.
What is mango habanero sauce made of?
The recipe for Mango Habanero varies depending on the brand (if using store-bought) or the recipe developer (if making at home).
Generally, Mango Habanero would be made of mangoes, habanero peppers, onions, vinegar, salt, garlic, water, sugar (in some recipes) and lime.