Tasty Breakfast Dishes
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, and one of our favorites, but it’s also a tough one! We have to come up with breakfast ideas before we’ve even had coffee and that’s just, well, it can feel like a really tall order. If you’re in the same boat, not to worry! To help you out—and honestly, to help ourselves, too—we’ve rounded up 50 (yep, 5-0) breakfast recipes! From super healthy breakfast ideas to low-carb, to fancy-enough-for-Christmas breakfast to just plain old gosh-darn easy breakfast ideas, we’ve got you covered! Let’s dive in!
Eggs, But Dress Them Up & Make Them Fancy.
- Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard and Green Olives. This stunning, cream-laced baked egg recipe is an easy and luxurious way to enjoy brunch at home.
- Salsa Verde Baked Eggs. while this sounds like something you’d order in a restaurant, it’s actually a really easy dish to make. And if you’re looking for healthy breakfast ideas, look no further! This one is low-carb, gluten-free and vegetarian!
- Spinach-Mushroom Strata. Melty Swiss cheese and buttery mushrooms sautéed with fresh thyme make this savory, earthy spinach strata a make-ahead breakfast idea that’s almost too good to be true.
- Shirred Eggs with Leeks. Like all egg recipes, shirred eggs are pretty quick and easy to make, but they’re elegant enough for Christmas morning!
The OG Low-Carb, Healthy Breakfast Idea: Simple, Perfect, Classic Eggs
- Soft-scrambled eggs. Perfect, pillowy soft-scrambled eggs you can make in your sleep—now that’s a breakfast idea we can handle, even pre-coffee.
- Migas. Corn tortillas, pan fried till just barely crisp, and then flooded with whipped egg and bright spices and quickly cooked together, migas are a Tex-Mex classic.
- The most simple answer is often the best, and a basic boiled egg—soft-boiled or hard-boiled, it’s up to you!—is truly a no-brainer breakfast idea. Eat it on its own for a low-carb, high-protein start to the day, or with a piece of toast to round it out.
- Huevos Rancheros. If you can open a can of beans and fry an egg, you can make this simple breakfast recipe.
- Avocado, Chèvre and Bacon Omelette. Everyone has their favorite omelette combo, and this glorious trio is ours.
Cereal for Breakfast, All Grown Up!
- Granola with Figs, Almonds and Coconut. We’re grooving on the healthy, filling, delicious alchemy that happens when you combine oats, honey, and oil with some handfuls of chopped nuts and dried fruit.
- Apple and Maple Baked Oatmeal. Sweetened with just a kiss of maple syrup, this healthy apple baked oatmeal recipe is the ultimate fall breakfast.
- Nuts and Seeds Granola. Having a batch of this nutty, seedy, maple-sweetened granola around the house makes mornings way easier. Plus, it’s an ultra-healthy way to start the day.
- Overnight Oats. Maybe the easiest breakfast recipe we know of—just a few minutes of work before bed means that you get to wake up to a breakfast that’s ready when you are!
- Six-Ingredient Breakfast Quinoa. Looking for a vegan, protein-filled, nutrient-rich breakfast idea without eggs? Look no further!
- Norwegian Risgrøt Rice Porridge. Risgrøt—a festive Norwegian rice pudding—is a heart-warming, soul-satisfying treat that is humble, almost too easy, and impossible not to love.
Cake For Breakfast
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Moist and tender, with a coconut-speckled crumb topping, this sour cream coffee cake is easy, delicious and—bonus!—can easily be made gluten free.
- Mom’s Zucchini Bread Muffins. When it comes to zucchini bread, we want simple and classic, and maybe a little healthy, too, and this recipe checks all the boxes.
- Gingerbread loaf. If there’s a slice of this moist, delicious gingerbread loaf in the house, you know that’s what’s for breakfast.
- Banana Banana Bread with Maple Mascarpone. Banana bread should taste like bananas and going heavy on the fruit—thus the name “banana banana”—makes for an incredibly moist bread.
Homemade Pancakes & French Toast AKA Weekend Brunch Without the Wait
- Baked French Toast. What if you could make your French toast (or at least most of it) the night before? This cinnamon-y baked French toast recipe is your new breakfast BFF.
- Banana Pancakes with Caramelized Bananas and Toasted Pecans. Want the fluffiest of fluffy banana pancakes? We’ve got the pillowy, cloud-like pancakes you crave right here.
- Coconut French Toast with Apples and Pecans. Nothing says good morning quite like a plate of warm, soft French toast, especially when it’s piled high with poached apples and pecans.
- Trail Mix Pancakes. The perfect pancake breakfast for camping—and just about anything else, too.
- Almond Poppyseed Pancakes with Cherry Syrup. With a subtle crunch, and sweet cherry syrup you’ll want to eat on its own, poppyseed pancakes offer a fun, tasty twist on a tried-and-true breakfast classic.
Looking for a Low-Carb, Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Idea? Say Hello to Egg Muffins!
- Breakfast Egg Muffins. These make-ahead bacon and cheddar egg muffins with jalapeños are a low-carb, protein-loaded treat that you can eat on the go.
- Feta-Spinach Breakfast Egg Muffins with Sun-Dried Tomatoes. These easy vegetarian egg muffins will ensure that even the busiest day gets off on the right foot.
- Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Egg Muffins. Having these satisfying egg muffins ready and waiting in the fridge every morning is one of the best ways we know of to stick to our healthy eating goals.
Breakfast Rolls & Brunchy Baked Goodies
- Oat Scones. Buttery and made moist thanks to a secret ingredient, these oat scones are a Scottish-ish riff on everyone’s favorite breakfast treat.
- Cardamom Rolls with Almond Glaze. This cardamom roll recipe yields fluffy, tender, rich cardamom buns that will brighten even the dullest of winter mornings.
- Dairy Free Cinnamon Rolls. These tender, gooey, dairy-free (!!) cinnamon rolls, are so delicious, no one will know that they’re vegan.
- Coffee Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Icing. We’ve taken everything you love about weekend brunch and rolled it all into one unique, sweet and sticky grown-up cinnamon roll!
- Jam Dot Oat Scones. This recipe fuses a buttery biscuit dough with nutty oats, vanilla yogurt, and a generous dollop of jam for a fun twist on the brunch classic.
- Monkey Bread With Vanilla and Walnuts. A super easy monkey bread recipe made with store-bought biscuit dough and studded with rich walnuts that’s ready in a flash and sure to please—that’s a breakfast idea just about anyone can get behind!
Breakfast Ideas for a Crowd: Quiches & Frittatas
- Tomato, Basil & Caramelized Onion Quiche. Combining a creamy egg base with heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, a shaving of Parmigiano-Reggiano, and onions caramelized to perfection, this is the be-all end-all of quiche recipes.
- Caramelized Onion Frittata. This vegetable-laden frittata stays tender, light and bouncy, even as we load it up with rich caramelized onions, tangy feta and a veritable garden of baby kale.
- Spring Asparagus Frittata With Crème Fraîche. Frittatas are one of the easiest back-pocket breakfast recipes to learn. Memorize the basics and before you know it, you’ll be able to play around with the recipe.
- Five Onion Tart with Arugula Salad. Like a quiche but with fewer eggs, a flaky, buttery crust, and a medley of onions cooked to caramelized perfection this tart is brunchy perfection.
Put An Egg On It
- Croque Madame. Piled high with ham, melted Gruyère, creamy béchamel, and topped with a fried egg, the French bistro classic croque-madame is one of our favorite indulgent breakfast ideas, ever.
- Sweet Potato Carnitas Hash. Sweet potatoes and slow-cooker carnitas join forces for a hearty and flavor-packed hash that’s tailor made to save you from your breakfast rut.
- Corned Beef Hash. What’s a dinner of corned beef and cabbage without the promise of corned beef hash for breakfast the next day?
- Patatas Bravas. Crispy, fried potatoes tossed in spicy salsa brava and served with creamy garlic aioli—if this brilliant breakfast idea doesn’t get your juices flowing, we don’t know what will!Ham, Bacon & Sausage, Oh My!
Ham, Bacon & Sausage, Oh My!
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits. Pair these with creamy scrambled eggs, and you’ve got a luxurious breakfast that couldn’t be simpler.
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole. The one & only! Plenty of melty cheese crowns this rich, rib-sticking breakfast casserole the king of all brunch recipes!
- Keto Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets. Guess what?! Just because you’re trying to follow a ketogenic diet doesn’t mean you can’t have hot pockets.
- Turkey Breakfast Patties. These boldly flavored, Asian-inspired “breakfast” turkey patties are the perfect grab-and-go protein any time of day.
- Breakfast Burritos. Hunting for some camping breakfast ideas? Breakfast burritos are the unsung hero of camping breakfasts! You can even make them ahead of time and freeze them.
Don’t Forget the Fruit!
- Raspberry Breakfast Bar. Our easy, delicious, dairy-free(!) raspberry breakfast bars are studded with fresh berry bites baked between two oatmeal-laden layers.
- Almond Butter Toast With Bananas And Toasted Coconut. In under 10 minutes, you’ve got a nutrient-rich—and kid-approved—meal the whole family will love.
- Mixed Berry Bruschetta With Whipped Yogurt Spread. A decadent breakfast perfect for berry season.
- Grapefruit Anise Salad. Paired with an anise-scented simple syrup to temper its bite, grapefruit is a blushing citrus superstar—a burst of sunny, juicy flavor and its tangy, zingy taste is a palate-awakening promise of warmer days ahead.
Some Other Recipes To try Out
Smoky Beans & Baked Eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 red pepper , sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black or pinto beans , drained
- 4-6 eggs , depending on how hungry you are (adults may want 2 eggs each)
- handful of coriander , leaves picked
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a wide, shallow pan and cook the onion for 8-10 mins until softened. Add the pepper and cook for another 5 mins, stirring regularly, until softened. Stir in the garlic, paprika and ketchup, then tip in the tomatoes, cover and leave to simmer gently for 10 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a few more minutes to thicken, then add the beans. Can be cooled and frozen in portions at this stage.
- STEP 2
Use a spoon to make 4-6 spaces in the mixture for the eggs – you should be able to see some of the bottom of the pan. Crack the eggs one by one into a cup or bowl and gently drop one into each hole. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 3-5 mins until the egg whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny. Scatter over the coriander to serve.
Poached Eggs With Smoked Salmon And Bubble & Squeak
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 140g white cabbage , finely chopped
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 300g whole new potato
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- 2 medium eggs , at room temperature
- 75g smoked salmon
- STEP 1
Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender, then drain.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Sweat the cabbage and the spring onions in the pan for a couple of mins. Meanwhile, chop and squash the potatoes roughly, then add to the pan along with the chives. Cook for 4-5 mins, flip it over (don’t worry if it breaks) and cook for a further 4-5 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat so it is just simmering. Crack the eggs into the pan and simmer for about 3 mins until the whites are cooked and the yolk is just beginning to set. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- STEP 4
To serve, divide the bubble & squeak between 2 plates, place the smoked salmon and poached eggs on top and grind over a little black pepper, to taste.