Did you know that toaster oven apple crisp is the best food in the world? I didn’t either, probably because no one slicks up a toaster oven and makes one for me. I had always scoffed at those “fast recipes” that called for it. But now that I’ve gotten over myself and made my own, I can say with full confidence that it’s right. To make good use of my toaster oven, today I’m sharing with you a recipe for Toaster Oven Apple Crisp (and toaster oven pancakes because pancakes are delicious).
CRANBERRY GINGER APPLE CRISP – CLASSIC TOASTER OVEN
An old favorite with a twist – dried cranberries and bits of crystallized ginger.
Makes 8 servings
cooking spray 1 cup rolled oats ½ cup brown sugar, packed 1⁄3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon cinnamon ¼ teaspoon salt 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (3⁄4 stick) 1½ pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, quartered and cut into 1⁄4-inch slices* 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice ½ cup dried cranberries 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger ½ cup granulated sugar 2 tablespoons honey 1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 334 (27% from fat) • carb. 57g • pro. 2g • fat 9g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 23mg • sod. 82mg • calc. 36mg • fiber 4g
Place the rack in position A and preheat the toaster oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat an 8×8-inch (6-cup) glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is evenly moistened. Use your fingers to pinch the mixture into large crumbs. In a medium bowl, toss the sliced apples with the lemon juice, cranberries, chopped ginger, granulated sugar, honey, and vanilla. Spoon the apple mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the apples are tender and the filling is bubbling. Let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, or freshly whipped cream. *For ease in slicing, use the Cuisinart® food processor fitted with the 4mm slicing disc.
Toaster Oven Apple Crisp
I live in a two-person household — myself and a very picky eating nine year-old — so basically I’m cooking for one while he eats a bag of goldfish and a box of raspberries at every meal. I also have to cook everything I eat in just the microwave, toaster oven, or steamer since my stove and oven are currently non-functional. But you know, necessity is the mother of invention, so I can cook some pretty great stuff in those three pieces of equipment.
One night last week I was jonesing for something sweet but not completely devoid of nutritional value. I had apples so I wanted to make an apple crisp. I was missing most of the ingredients, but the version I invented through substitution turned out to be amazing! This would also work with pears or peaches or a mixture of fruit.
Here’s what I did
1. Slice an apple into a baking dish (choose one that will fit in the toaster oven).
2. Cover the slices with a good squirt of lime juice (obviously it would be better to use a lemon if you had it, but I drink gin, so….). I expect you would skip this step if you were using peaches.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of sugar (this would be better if you had brown sugar, but I didn’t), 2 tablespoons of melted butter, one packet of instant oatmeal (use a flavor that won’t taste gross with apples; I used maple brown sugar. Bananas and cream would probably suck), and a dash of cinnamon. In a perfect world you would use 2 tablespoons of regular oats, but I didn’t have those either.
4. Pour that whole mixture over the apples.
5. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the toaster oven for 30 minutes at 350.
6. Then take off the foil and let it cook another 10 minutes to crunch up the top.
TOASTER OVEN APPLE CRISP
Number Of Ingredients 9
- cooking spray
- 1 medium apple – peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons water, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat the toaster oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) according to manufacturer’s instructions. Lightly coat a baking tray with cooking spray.
- Pile apple slices onto the baking tray. Mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together; sprinkle evenly over apples. Drizzle water over the topping. Arrange butter pieces as uniformly as possible over the topping.
- Bake in the preheated toaster oven until apples are tender, about 30 minutes. Drizzle caramel sauce on top and scoop into a bowl.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313.3 calories, Carbohydrate 53.7 g, Cholesterol 30.7 mg, Fat 12.1 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 1.7 g, SaturatedFat 7.4 g, Sodium 314.8 mg, Sugar 27.6 g
APPLE CRISP FOR TWO
Delicious with ice cream or whipped topping, this apple crisp for two is always a welcome treat at our table. We especially like it served warm. I make this often year-round, but it’s even tastier in the fall with newly harvested apples. -Patricia Gross, Etna Green, Indiana
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Optional: Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cut apples in an ungreased 2-cup baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine brown sugar, oats, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. , Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until apples are tender, about 15 minutes longer. If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 217 calories, Fat 12g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 31mg cholesterol, Sodium 121mg sodium, Carbohydrate 29g carbohydrate (23g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 1g protein.
Top Asked Questions
- How to bake an apple in a toaster oven?Preheat the oven (or toaster oven) to 375. Place the apple in a small oven safe bowl or dish. Spoon the liquid into the dish beneath the apple. Layer the sugar, raisins, and cinnamon in the center of the apple, sprinkling the excess sugar (with a touch of cinnamon) over the top.
- How to cook apple crisp in oven?Directions. Add the apple slices and a pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and lemon juice. Cover the apple filling in the skillet evenly with the crumb topping. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until crisp and brown on top, an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- How to cook apples in oven with oats?Preheat oven to 350°. Place cut apples in an ungreased 2-cup baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine brown sugar, oats, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until apples are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- How long to bake apples in oven?Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. Grease the sides and bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Place chopped and peeled apples into a large bowl. Pour apple mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.