Watermelon and mango salad is one of the most refreshing fruity meals in the world. Not only that it’s taste good, it’s nutritious. Fulfills your saccharine fix while making your body healthy at the same time. Here’s what you will need in order to make this awesome burst of flavor, mangos, watermelons, red onions, black pepper powder ,salt and olive oil.
Fresh Watermelon Salad with Corn and Mango
This Fresh Watermelon Salad with Corn and Mango is the perfect solution to any summer potluck or BBQ dilemma. Made with fresh summer produce and tossed in fresh lime juice, pair this vibrant watermelon salad with all your grilled summertime favorites like chicken and shrimp.
Refreshing Summer Watermelon Salad
I published this delicious watermelon salad recipe for you guys four years ago to the day. Octavian was still a toddler, I was still in my twenties, and somewhere in my delightful delirium as a stay-at-home, work-from-home mom, I was still considering having a second kiddo.
Funny how things change.
Anyway, today I’m giving this bright and summery watermelon salad a much-needed update. In this post, you’ll find less about me and more about the food. Good deal, yes?
Ok, so let’s highlight what makes this salad so awesome.
- It’s perfect for cookouts, potlucks, and summer barbeques
- It’s so refreshing it’s like taking a bite out of summer
- No artificial ingredients
- Gluten-free and vegan!
- Tastes delicious with chicken, beef, pork, and seafood
- 100% customizable
- It takes just 15 minutes to prepare
Ingredients and Frequently Asked Questions
- Seedless watermelon
- Bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sweet corn
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onions
- Olive oil
- Rice vinegar
- Fresh lime or lemon juice
How to pick a good watermelon?
Follow these simple steps:
- Find the big yellow-colored spot, also called the “field spot”. It’s not-at-all pretty looking, but that’s ok. This large yellow splotch is where your watermelon was resting on the ground as it grew, so looks here aren’t really what’s important.
- Go for weight, not size. It may be the biggest one of the batch, but that doesn’t mean it’s the heaviest. Your watermelon should always feel nice and heavy.
- Shiny or dull? I know it’s tempting to go for shiny things, but in this case, don’t. A shiny watermelon simply indicates and underripe watermelon.
- Look for sugar spots and pollination points. This is actually the biggest indication of ripe watermelon and best when shown with an image (I’ll update soon). Sugar spots are areas on a watermelon where sugar has seeped through. It may not have been much, or perhaps it has solidified, but if your watermelon is oozing something sticky, that’s because it’s bursting with natural sugars! Pollination points are usually found in the same area as sugar spots. They’re brownish rough patches with tiny little dark brownish/black dots in rows. These ugly looking patches on watermelon are actually good things!
Do I have to add cilantro?
If you’re not a fan of cilantro, feel free to leave it out. For a little added freshness, add a couple of tablespoons of freshly chopped mint leaves, or even a little fresh basil, instead.
What else can I add to this refreshing watermelon salad?
- red onion
- English cucumbers
- mozzarella balls
- red wine vinegar instead of the rice vinegar
How to Make This Watermelon Salad Recipe
1. Prepare the dressing – In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the lime dressing. Season with salt, if desired, to taste. If you don’t have any fresh limes, you may also use fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
2. Assemble – Chop and prepare ingredients for the salad. Transfer everything to a large mixing bowl and carefully toss to combine. Drizzle with the prepared lime dressing and toss again.
- If you have a melon baller, use it! Kids love helping, too.
3. Serve and store – Serve with all your favorite recipes and store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How to Serve Watermelon Salad
You may enjoy this salad exactly as is or alongside a number of delicious summer recipes. A few of my favorite ways to enjoy this salad is piled on top of grilled chicken (this Jerk chicken or Greek chicken marinade are both delicious), steak, fish, or shrimp. Sometimes I’ll serve a few scoops on top of a large salad, or bowl of rice.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to dice the mango and watermelon approximately equal in size. Also, be sure to dice the bell pepper nice and small as it is the crunchiest part of the dish.
- Only use fresh ingredients – including the lime juice.
- Have fun and play around with different ingredient combinations. For example,
- Watermelon, feta, and balsamic vinegar or vinaigrette
- Avocado, arugula, watermelon, goat cheese
- Fruit only: watermelon, papaya, mango, pineapple
- If you plan to have leftovers, serve any avocado on the side as it doesn’t store well.
Watermelon And Mango Salad
Watermelon and Mango Salad: Craving for a delicious salad? Try this simple summer salad loaded with the goodness of fresh watermelon and mango. A light, hearty, delectable vibrant salad. Which is ideal to serve as an appetizer as well.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SALAD
- It uses very few simple easily available ingredients.
- It’s light and fresh. Which makes it ideal for any of your favorite main dishes.
- It is gluten-free and completely vegan.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Mango, ripe and firm
- Lime juice, fresh
- Herbs – Coriander/cilantro, fresh
- Seasoning – Black salt and Pepper
- Seeds or nuts, optional
[Detailed measurements and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.]
PREPARATION OF WATERMELON MANGO SALAD
- Put watermelon and mango cubes in a bowl.
- Add freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Season with salt and crushed pepper.
- Add chopped coriander/cilantro.
- Toss everything together to combine.
- Check the seasoning. Add more if required.
- Then serve.
- This salad could be served as a fresh and light appetizer or side dish alongside a spicy meal or any favorite grilled recipe.
- If preparing this ahead of time, don’t season it until you ready to serve it.