Watermelon and pomegranate salad is a very refreshing and crunchy salad, perfect to enjoy any hot summer day. This salad is so easy to make, and it’s awesome. Each bite of this salad bursts with the sweet and tart flavor of pomegranate, creamy feta cheese and cool, juicy watermelon. It’s great for a backyard cookout or a 4th of July barbecue.
Watermelon and pomegranate salad with whipped feta
- 2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1kg seedless watermelon, peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) almonds, roasted, chopped
- Seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate
- 1 Asian (red) eschalot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup each loosely packed baby rocket and loosely packed mint leaves
- Sumac, to serve
- 150g feta
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- 1.To make the dressing, whisk oil, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, and garlic in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- 2.For the whipped feta, place all ingredients in a blender or small food processor and whiz until smooth, then spread over a serving platter.
- 3.Top feta mixture with watermelon and scatter with almonds, pomegranate seeds and eschalot, then top with rocket and mint leaves. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with sumac and serve immediately.
Watermelon and pomegranate salad with red onion
- 8 PERSONS
- AVERAGE 3 OF 5 STARS
- 2-3 kg of seedless watermelon
- 1/2 a red onion sliced and diced
- 1 pomegranate
- 5 sprigs of fresh mint (leaves torn)
- 100g feta (crumbled)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30ml white balsamic vinegar
Peel and cut the watermelon into 1-2cm thick bite-sized triangles, lay them nicely on a flat serving platter. Scatter a layer of the red onion and then the pomegranate seeds. Just before serving, crumble the feta over the top and finish with the dressing, season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh mint. Serve and enjoy.
Tips from the author
This salad is best made just before serving and will make enough for 8 people to share. Tip: To remove the “seeds” from the pomegranate cut them in half and smash them with a wooden spoon from the outside to capture the juice and seeds for the salad.
Watermelon, Feta Cheese & Pomegranate Salad
This is a super refreshing salad that will transport you back to summer whatever the weather (looks outside at the rain). Colourful, packed full of vitamins and nutritious too, it’s just the ticket during the warmer months.
The marriage of the creamy feta against the sweet watermelon and tangy pomegranate makes for a flavoursome salad. Being plant-based, I enjoy this without the cheese.
I’ve used basil leaves here to add some sharpness but any salad leaves will work well. Raw spinach is another favourite!
Serves 2 (multiply for more)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 3 handfuls of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 a pomegranate, peeled, seeds removed
- 4 slices of watermelon
- 60g feta cheese (or more if you wish)
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- balsamic glaze/lime
- pinch rock salt
- freshly ground pepper
Ingredients if you choose to make the balsamic glaze
- 250ml of Modena balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of an unrefined sweetener, I use honey but you could also use coconut sugar or maple syrup.
If making the glaze, start with that.
Add vinegar and honey to a medium sized pan. Bring to a simmer over a medium high heat then adjust to a low heat for around 10-15 minutes whilst the liquid thickens and reduces.
Keep an eye on the syrup so it doesn’t burn. Reduce until you reach your desired thickness and then store in a glass bottle.
If you are using shop bought arrange the salad first.
In a bowl place all the ingredients together all the ingredients, adding the cheese last. Drizzle the olive oil, balsamic glaze and season.
I also made the salad without the glaze using an olive oil and lime dressing with salt and pepper.
WATERMELON AND POMEGRANATE SALAD WITH WHIPPED FETA
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) seedless watermelon, peeled and cut into chunks
- 40 g (1½ oz/¼ cup) toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 1 small French shallot, thinly sliced
- 35 g (1¼ oz/1 cup) wild rocket (arugula)
- 1 large handful mint leaves
- 2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- ½ small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Sumac, for dusting
- 150 g (5½ oz) feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ small garlic clove
- To make the whipped feta, blend the ingredients in a blender or small food processor until smooth, season to taste and spread over a serving platter.
- Arrange the watermelon over the whipped feta and scatter with the almonds, pomegranate and shallot, then with the rocket and mint leaves.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, juice and garlic in a bowl to combine, season to taste and drizzle over the salad. Scatter with sumac and serve.